Newly released 2018 Leaf NCAP crash and safety testing video

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennethbokor

Some new video from European NCAP crash/safety tests showing the outcomes of the 2018 Nissan Leaf. Seems most scores are good and I especially like how the AEB works well in different scenarios.

You can read the show notes for comments on test results. Seems to score mostly 5 stars I believe, but not sure how their scoring compares to North American testing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP_-PFDOVxI

Just posted this in another thread about whether the Leaf is an OK car for your kid to commute with...

Totaled my 2017 Leaf SV last month. I was doing 45 mph when a Toyota Tacoma made an unsignaled left in front of me on a yellow light, entering my lane when I was 50 feet away. Front passenger side of the Leaf impacted the front passenger side of the Tacoma, spinning me around to my left and I was then immediately broadsided by a Ford Explorer that had been in the lane next to me on the rear passenger door.

Front and passenger side air bags deployed. Car was totaled. However, there was absolutely NO intrusion into the passenger compartment even though the rear passenger door was smashed in enough to see the entire width of the rear tire. No intrusion up front at all, just a few cracks in the windshield.

The deceleration was at least 30 g's. I might have cracked a lower rib, my left wrist was a bit wonky, and my right hand had minor contusions and swelled up like the Hamburger Helper mascot. Entire chest extremely painful from the seatbelt and a bit of whiplash. Got scanned head to abdomen at hospital and there was no internal damage, but it felt like someone had thrown me down the stairs 5 or 6 times. Didn't hit the airbag (I was bracing to brake the car, which explains the hand/wrist injuries). Overall, survived this near-death experience without any medical treatment beyond the morphine they put in my IV at the emergency room.

Just bought a 2019. Bigger is, of course, generally better. But (barely) walking away from two consecutive high speed impacts with vehicles both weighing over 4,000 lbs at 45 mph was pretty impressive.

My 2016 protected me despite a direct hit on a t bone. My crash consisted of me being pushed sideways against and over the curb causing the passenger side air bags to deploy as well. I walked away without a scratch and worked a 9½ hour shift two days later.

https://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2018/01/she-gave-all.html

FrugalNJ said:
However, there was absolutely NO intrusion into the passenger compartment even though the rear passenger door was smashed in enough to see the entire width of the rear tire. .
I'd call that intrusion into the passenger compartment...

Tsiah said:
FrugalNJ said:
However, there was absolutely NO intrusion into the passenger compartment even though the rear passenger door was smashed in enough to see the entire width of the rear tire. .
I'd call that intrusion into the passenger compartment...

Wouldn't be if no part of the passenger door went beyond the sill. In mine, from the inside (ignoring the dust from the curtain bag deployment) you couldn't even tell you had been in an accident.

kennethbokor said:
Some new video from European NCAP crash/safety tests showing the outcomes of the 2018 Nissan Leaf. Seems most scores are good and I especially like how the AEB works well in different scenarios.

You can read the show notes for comments on test results. Seems to score mostly 5 stars I believe, but not sure how their scoring compares to North American testing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP_-PFDOVxI

Really a great video especially the AEB tests. I always wondered how it worked in my new 2018 model S.

Tsiah said:
Fair enough.

From the inside, the only evidence of the crash was that the power window control module had popped up out of the door panel slightly. But the door panel itself was not displaced inward. And yet you could see the entire rear tire from the outside.

FrugalNJ said:
Just posted this in another thread about whether the Leaf is an OK car for your kid to commute with...

Totaled my 2017 Leaf SV last month. I was doing 45 mph when a Toyota Tacoma made an unsignaled left in front of me on a yellow light, entering my lane when I was 50 feet away. Front passenger side of the Leaf impacted the front passenger side of the Tacoma, spinning me around to my left and I was then immediately broadsided by a Ford Explorer that had been in the lane next to me on the rear passenger door.

Front and passenger side air bags deployed. Car was totaled. However, there was absolutely NO intrusion into the passenger compartment even though the rear passenger door was smashed in enough to see the entire width of the rear tire. No intrusion up front at all, just a few cracks in the windshield.

The deceleration was at least 30 g's. I might have cracked a lower rib, my left wrist was a bit wonky, and my right hand had minor contusions and swelled up like the Hamburger Helper mascot. Entire chest extremely painful from the seatbelt and a bit of whiplash. Got scanned head to abdomen at hospital and there was no internal damage, but it felt like someone had thrown me down the stairs 5 or 6 times. Didn't hit the airbag (I was bracing to brake the car, which explains the hand/wrist injuries). Overall, survived this near-death experience without any medical treatment beyond the morphine they put in my IV at the emergency room.

Just bought a 2019. Bigger is, of course, generally better. But (barely) walking away from two consecutive high speed impacts with vehicles both weighing over 4,000 lbs at 45 mph was pretty impressive.

Wow... :shock:

So glad you walked away...

Back