tcherniaev
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:03 pm
Delivery Date: 23 Jan 2012
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah

New 40 kWh pack as replacement for 24 kWh pack

Mon May 07, 2018 9:47 am

Hi guys, I know that this video is in Russian, but worth looking at for those who can understand what he is saying: https://youtu.be/t2QdPbgbSdA

For the rest of you, here is a summary:

-- This guy previously swapped 30 kWh pack into a 24 kWh LEAF. It did not work initially, but after he also swapped control modules it worked fine and reported correct capacity, estimated range, etc.

-- 40 kWh battery can't be used as a direct replacement, but he believes that modules can be swapped. Physical dimensions are the same, but some wiring, connections, and control units are not compatible.

-- Internal module design is different, offering a tighter fit, see his prior video: https://youtu.be/r6JeVZbNi6Y

-- His plan is to purchase a salvage 40 kWh pack and do a demo where he actually upgrades an old LEAF to 40 kWh.

As a side note, here is a video from Ukraine Tesla guru who visits LEAF aftermarket shop where they dismantle LEAF battery packs, test each module, and reuse those modules that are still good. What is interesting about this video is that they highlight that, in a typical battery, heat damage to the modules in the middle is much worse that damage to perimeter modules. They link it to a lack of thermal management in LEAFs (I know, big surprise). https://youtu.be/SVTtXvGmBvU

ybpvin
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:55 am
Delivery Date: 24 Aug 2018
Leaf Number: 022135

Re: New 40 kWh pack as replacement for 24 kWh pack

Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:30 pm

Hi!
I watched this video. I can translate, what interests you ?
I am interested in questions of increase in a charge of batteries too. :D

Silverfish
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:32 am
Delivery Date: 21 Jun 2018

Re: New 40 kWh pack as replacement for 24 kWh pack

Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:16 am

I would be interested in any information about what batteries I can eventually swap into my 2013 Leaf when the current 24 kWh battery degrades to the point where it's no longer usable.

So any translations that help with that would be most appreciated.

ybpvin
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:55 am
Delivery Date: 24 Aug 2018
Leaf Number: 022135

Re: New 40 kWh pack as replacement for 24 kWh pack

Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:04 pm

Silverfish wrote:I would be interested in any information about what batteries I can eventually swap into my 2013 Leaf when the current 24 kWh battery degrades to the point where it's no longer usable.

So any translations that help with that would be most appreciated.


I understand your question.
You can install 30 and 40 KW battery cells without significant rework.
You will need to reprogram the controller so that the car understands the actual range of distance.
I can recommend a YouTube channel where such issues are dealt with https://www.youtube.com/TehnoVinTar
The author speaks Ukrainian, but knows English well and can answer your comments.

Silverfish
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:32 am
Delivery Date: 21 Jun 2018

Re: New 40 kWh pack as replacement for 24 kWh pack

Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:29 am

ybpvin wrote:
Silverfish wrote:I would be interested in any information about what batteries I can eventually swap into my 2013 Leaf when the current 24 kWh battery degrades to the point where it's no longer usable.

So any translations that help with that would be most appreciated.


I understand your question.
You can install 30 and 40 KW battery cells without significant rework.
You will need to reprogram the controller so that the car understands the actual range of distance.
I can recommend a YouTube channel where such issues are dealt with https://www.youtube.com/TehnoVinTar
The author speaks Ukrainian, but knows English well and can answer your comments.


Thanks!

Lothsahn
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:35 pm
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2018
Leaf Number: 007797

Re: New 40 kWh pack as replacement for 24 kWh pack

Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:56 pm

ybpvin wrote:You will need to reprogram the controller so that the car understands the actual range of distance.


Any idea how that would be done? Any links to where this is discussed? The difference in discharge curves for 30 and 40kwh packs is the real problem with regards to swapping cells.
2011 Silver SV, purchased 2018, lives in Missouri (previously in CA)
LeafSpy Pro + BAFX Products OBDII dongle
7 bars and really feeling the range squeeze

ybpvin
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:55 am
Delivery Date: 24 Aug 2018
Leaf Number: 022135

Re: New 40 kWh pack as replacement for 24 kWh pack

Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:50 am

Lothsahn wrote:
ybpvin wrote:You will need to reprogram the controller so that the car understands the actual range of distance.


Any idea how that would be done? Any links to where this is discussed? The difference in discharge curves for 30 and 40kwh packs is the real problem with regards to swapping cells.




Hello.
This question is difficult and did not meet on the forums.
Here is the author's latest video where the battery issue is discussed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWmiOxl0pdg&t=3s
Write a comment in English and he will answer you.

bkvszomorito
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:45 pm
Delivery Date: 22 Jul 2013
Leaf Number: 403788

Re: New 40 kWh pack as replacement for 24 kWh pack

Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:18 am

Hello Friends,

Did any of you received an answer, how to change the capacity value in the LBC (battery controller)?

Thanks in advance for your help!

LeftieBiker
Posts: 9582
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: New 40 kWh pack as replacement for 24 kWh pack

Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:45 am

What about using a 30kwh pack controller with a 40kwh pack, and just considering the extra 10kwh that the controller can't "see" as a buffer?
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

bkvszomorito
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:45 pm
Delivery Date: 22 Jul 2013
Leaf Number: 403788

Re: New 40 kWh pack as replacement for 24 kWh pack

Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:54 am

LeftieBiker wrote:What about using a 30kwh pack controller with a 40kwh pack, and just considering the extra 10kwh that the controller can't "see" as a buffer?


There is cell voltage control in the LBC, and the 40 and the 30 kWh packs have the same voltage references at module level, so it should work. The range estimate is the question, if the system will adopt to the higher capacity or not. The best would be to change the value in LBC from 30 to 40, but how to do this is the real question.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”