kennethbokor
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 30 May 2018

Re: Do people hate your car?

Tue May 15, 2018 11:40 am

Well that stinks that people would do any damage to a car.

I've only had my new Leaf for a day and a half, but have already had several people come up to me to ask what it is and more info about it. They think it looks good.

Hope this continues....
---------
New Leaf Owner: Just ordered Feb 24 2018, 2018 Leaf SL in Jade Frost. Expected ETA by May 30 2018.

wekebu
Delivery Date: 05 Jun 2018
Leaf Number: 305286

Wed May 30, 2018 5:26 pm

Jeeze, this post is concerning. I pick up my new Leaf within the next week. I live in an agricultural community. Most people drive trucks...diesel trucks.

My current car is a 2001 PT Cruiser (I like to keep cars for a long time). I always park way out in a parking lot. Never got a ding in a parking lot. The only ding on my car is from a bear that knocked over a metal trash can at my house. She put a 3" scratch at the bottom of the door. I don't mind that scratch. It's kinda fun telling people where it came from.

I'd like to keep to zero emissions label on the car but I appreciate a car that hasn't been damaged.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Wed May 30, 2018 8:09 pm

I suggest you take a hammer to your knees and get a handicapped placard or plate, ASAP. ;-) Parking my Leaf is the only time I'm a little grateful for the trouble I have walking. Those spaces are a bit short, but they have plenty of side clearance.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Lars36
Delivery Date: 27 Aug 2018
Leaf Number: 312740

Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:52 am

Wow new Leaf owner here in Florida, never would I think that someone would mess with someone's cars just b/c it was 0 emissions, I park far away in the parking lots for two reasons, so my car doesn't get dinged and for the exercise. If anyone should be dinging cars, should be us to the "gas guzzlers". :lol: . I used to get a chuckle out of Hummer owners. :lol:

Matty
Delivery Date: 22 Jun 2018

Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:22 pm

We've had our Leaf for a couple of months now and our experience has been slightly different. There's a pervasive public air of "EVs are for dolphin-hugging hippies" in New Zealand, but a surprising number of people have a whole lot of questions once they know we have one. It's kind of like being the first guy in the street who eats mountain oysters and isn't afraid to admit it - suddenly everyone's curious to know what it's really like. The idea grosses them out, but maybe...juuuust maybe...

By the same token I've found I have a Jekyll and Hyde personality when driving. If i'm just out and about in light traffic I tend to hypermile, but if I have to drive during rush hour I just can't resist demonstrating that the car has no problem at all diving into gaps, leaping away from the lights, briskly accelerating to higher speed limits etc.

I have issues. :oops:

JesseLeeMcClary
Delivery Date: 10 Aug 2018

Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:58 am

Someone mentioned earlier about battle lines being drawn by the most trivial of things these days. I think he was spot on. I live in Saint Louis so I’ve experienced some of the negative reactions(I.e. people telling me that to discard of my battery is far dirtier than gas cars blah,blah, blah, being asked if I’m “some kind of tree hugger”, etc), but fortunately I haven’t experienced any deliberate damage on the part of an electric vehicle hater. That is just insane to me.

A week or so after I bought the car a kid in a giant truck pulled up behind me and yelled “your car is gay”. I had to laugh it was so silly. I just waved and smiled. I suppose a car purchase in this day and age is a political statement. What a strange world.

JesseLeeMcClary

Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:01 am

I sort of remember President Obama saying something to the effect of in 20 years he’d like to see all electric vehicles on the roadways. Maybe some people’s dislike for Obama influences their opinions on Evs.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:33 pm

A week or so after I bought the car a kid in a giant truck pulled up behind me and yelled “your car is gay”.

Two replies come to mind:

#1: "Your truck is an idiot."

#2: "Sorry, you're not its type."
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

JesseLeeMcClary

Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:01 pm

Those would have been perfect responses. I was just in shock when it happened. All I could do was smile and wave. I should’ve asked how he likes paying for gas and oil changes.

Lars36
Delivery Date: 27 Aug 2018
Leaf Number: 312740

Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:27 pm

A week or so after I bought the car a kid in a giant truck pulled up behind me and yelled “your car is gay”.

As you drive buy while he is filling up "Giant Truck" with 2+to 3+ dollar gas, thank you very much. :lol:

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”