Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Re: I used thinner or smaller wrong sized battery for the key fob

Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:22 am

fetv wrote:there is no Dollar general near me. There are only Dollar Tree stores near by, but they don't have coin batteries.

I usually find the cells I need in a supermarket or hardware store. I'm not sure why people go out of their way to save a couple of dollars on something that should last 2 years or more, to operate a car that cost many thousands of dollars. My fob batteries are costing less than one cent per day as it is.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:27 am

fetv wrote:Don't know how to spot the counterfeits. The cheap ones I got were pack of 5 and they were not name brand, so at least they were not pretending to be counterfeits for name brand. They lasted for a year, so not too bad.

Did you have concern of counterfeit for bad quality? or just you don't want to provide moral support for counterfeits?

there is no Dollar general near me. There are only Dollar Tree stores near by, but they don't have coin batteries.

LeftieBiker wrote:It should also be noted that Ebay and even amazon.com are known for having counterfeits for sale. This is one instance in which it's best to shop locally, so you can return them if crappy, and to lower the likelihood of counterfeits. I've had good luck with Dollar general: great prices and they seem to be the actual name brands.

Counterfeit batteries are virtually always poor performers. Some counterfeits can be spotted by poorly copied (or even misspelled) logos, but quite a few look identical to the real thing. That's why I prefer to shop locally for them.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:32 am

Nubo wrote:
fetv wrote:there is no Dollar general near me. There are only Dollar Tree stores near by, but they don't have coin batteries.

I usually find the cells I need in a supermarket or hardware store. I'm not sure why people go out of their way to save a couple of dollars on something that should last 2 years or more, to operate a car that cost many thousands of dollars. My fob batteries are costing less than one cent per day as it is.

I'm talking about paying either $6 for two Energizer batteries at CVS or the supermarket, vs paying $1 or $2 each for the same, non-counterfeit Energizer batteries at the dollar store. If CVS were a local Mom and Pop store I'd give them the extra profit. Since they are a not especially nice corporation, I choose to save the money for the same product. Your reality may vary.

Oh, and Dollar General is next to the supermarket. CVS is a drive across town. If you want to drive out of your way to pay more, in the hope that paying more for the same product is somehow better and smarter, feel free to do so.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:09 am

fetv wrote:The manual says CR2025, I used thinner, thicker or smaller battery for the key fob, it worked. Anyone tried the "wrong" size yet?

Instead of arguing what stores I want to spend a dollar on a battery, I will give my answer to the original poster....

Put the one that it calls for. On a $350 key fob, don't play science experiments with battery sizes... I looked at the 2032s and it was TOO thick... Do you want to risk squeezing the electronics and mechanicals in the FOB just for an ego rush that you put a BETTER battery in..

We do not live in a third world country where we have to adapt everything because of poverty..

davewill

Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:30 am

On the thinner battery, you could also possibly have a problem with the contacts not making a solid connection causing the odd failure in the future.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:12 am

LeftieBiker wrote:
Nubo wrote:

I'm talking about paying either $6 for two Energizer batteries at CVS or the supermarket, vs paying $1 or $2 each for the same, non-counterfeit Energizer batteries at the dollar store. If CVS were a local Mom and Pop store I'd give them the extra profit. Since they are a not especially nice corporation, I choose to save the money for the same product. Your reality may vary.

Oh, and Dollar General is next to the supermarket. CVS is a drive across town. If you want to drive out of your way to pay more, in the hope that paying more for the same product is somehow better and smarter, feel free to do so.

They're in the supermarket where I normally get my groceries. I'm also in the hardware frequently because I do most home maintenance myself instead of hiring people. So this is most convenient for me. If you're finding good cells at a discount in a place that is convenient then it should be obvious my comment was not directed at you.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

fetv
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2015

Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:44 am

davewill wrote:On the thinner battery, you could also possibly have a problem with the contacts not making a solid connection causing the odd failure in the future.

Why would a thinner battery have "not solid connection"?
As the video showed, there are two situations:
1. you should generally add padding
2. if the contact "stands out", then you are fine.

fetv

Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:23 pm

Nubo wrote:

Well, learning this probably takes about as much time as going to the store to get a new battery, and is a skill that can be applied more than once, and may be useful for items other than key fobs as well. If you already have these other (wrong-sized) batteries on hand, you can also avoid adding to e-wast (it takes more time to deal with battery waste).

davewill

Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:57 pm

fetv wrote:
davewill wrote:On the thinner battery, you could also possibly have a problem with the contacts not making a solid connection causing the odd failure in the future.

Why would a thinner battery have "not solid connection"?
As the video showed, there are two situations:
1. you should generally add padding
2. if the contact "stands out", then you are fine.

There is a sprung contact on the face of one side. Those contacts will have less contact pressure because of the thinner battery. It will probably be just fine, and if there WERE a problem, you'd just change the battery to the right one.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

fetv

Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:41 pm

powersurge wrote:
Instead of arguing what stores I want to spend a dollar on a battery, I will give my answer to the original poster....

Put the one that it calls for. On a $350 key fob, don't play science experiments with battery sizes... I looked at the 2032s and it was TOO thick... Do you want to risk squeezing the electronics and mechanicals in the FOB just for an ego rush that you put a BETTER battery in..

We do not live in a third world country where we have to adapt everything because of poverty..

1. the thickness difference is 3.2-2.5=0.7 mm
2. The mechanical buttons are not squeezed because the PCB shields it.
3. The only part that is under stress is the PCB board. That PCB board is 0.9 mm thick and pretty strong. It would be interesting to see if there is any statistics about damage caused by the 0.7mm thicker battery.

I agree with you that in general, poor people would like to save money, but since they like to show their status, they may not admit that they like it.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”