Here is the dealer communication:

2018 LEAF SL
Gun Metalic
Delivery April 10 2018

Prior LEAF:
2014 LEAF SV
Ocean Blue
Delivery May 23 2014
50,000+ miles - all 12 bars - Same range as new - No warranty issues ever!

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Re: Long Term Reliability of the 30kWh Battery Pack

Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:49 pm

^^^
Thank you.

The above pages were also posted at https://www.facebook.com/groups/NissanL ... 22R2%22%7D. Interesting.

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:04 pm

So, nissan says that after the update, the capacity bar display will now be "accurate".

Forgive me, but has Nissan ever stated what "accurate" capacity each bar represents?

All Nissan was ever willing to say about the "24 kWh" pack capacity, was that four bars lost represented approximately 30% of new capacity.
no condition is permanent

DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199

Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:41 am

edatoakrun wrote:So, nissan says that after the update, the capacity bar display will now be "accurate".

Forgive me, but has Nissan ever stated what "accurate" capacity each bar represents?

All Nissan was ever willing to say about the "24 kWh" pack capacity, was that four bars lost represented approximately 30% of new capacity.

The bars will not change. They are simply a representation of the state of the car. They are NOT to be considered as digital representations of anything as they all have deltas in which the appear or disappear making them only guidelines at best.

The general state of Nissan instrumentation will not help either. But at least they show "something"

Most other EV manufacturers don't have the guts.
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 11,987 miles, 485 GIDs, 37.6 kwh 110.89 Ahr , SOH 96.00, Hx 115.22
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

goldbrick
Delivery Date: 01 Aug 2017
Leaf Number: 311806

Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:43 am

This is all very interesting and I guess even though it is voluntary I probably don't have much say over how my warranty gets handled since the firmware that controls the bars is entirely under Nissan's control.

That said, I just went 80.5 miles in the last few days since my last charge to 91% (per the dash) and now the dash shows SOC = 37% so something doesn't add up...

SOH per LeafSpyPro was 94.5% yesterday after being consistently down around 92% for most of the Spring.

edatoakrun

Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:14 am

DaveinOlyWA wrote:
edatoakrun wrote:So, nissan says that after the update, the capacity bar display will now be "accurate".

The bars will not change. They are simply a representation of the state of the car. They are NOT to be considered as digital representations of anything ...

Yes, and the same can be said for the grossly inaccurate LBC estimates of battery capacity, which are used to inform the bar displays.

Unfortunately, most "30 kWh" pack LEAF owners seem to have been just as willing to make fools of themselves, as most "24 kWh" pack owners have over the years, when they took LBC data seriously as accurate data on pack capacity.

So, with is campaign, Nissan will now change the LBC readings on "30 kWh" packs, allegedly to make them less inaccurate, just like it claimed it was trying to do for our "24 kWh" LEAFs.

That effort was a failure, as the higher-capacity LBC readings soon drifted back to ~the same level of extreme inaccuracy, as confirmed by recharge and range tests on my LEAF and others' at the time.

But, maybe this time it will be different?

If any of you "30 kWh" pack owners want to find out, I suggest you try to learn what you have neglected to learn to date, how to monitor your pack capacity accurately, using objective methods, and entirely ignoring the garbage data from your LBC, and that you do so before you accept Nissans "corrective" campaign.

coupedncal
Delivery Date: 06 Aug 2017
Leaf Number: 309668

Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:11 pm

edatoakrun wrote:
DaveinOlyWA wrote:

If any of you "30 kWh" pack owners want to find out, I suggest you try to learn what you have neglected to learn to date, how to monitor your pack capacity accurately, using objective methods, and entirely ignoring the garbage data from your LBC, and that you do so before you accept Nissans "corrective" campaign.

How do we propose we do this? Use LeafSpy type tool?

I am confused by this apparent fix from Nissan as even the LeafSpy tool was reporting lower values and thereby implying the battery storage capacity was dropping rapidly on these 30 kWh models. Am I correct with this statement? This fix will resolve the dashboard inaccuracies but wasn't LeafSpy tapping the batteries directly and LeafSpy did not use the input from the dash?
'17 30kWh Leaf

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:19 pm

I believe he's referring to controlled, repeated range testing and careful measurements of charge and discharge energy. LeafSpy reads its data from the "LBC" so it may not be reliable if the info from the BMS is incorrect.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

alozzy
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017

Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:47 pm

What a mess! If I owned a 2016/2017 with a 30 kWh pack, I'd be worried that this software "fix" is simply an effort by Nissan to ensure that they don't end up with having to replace a bunch of degraded 30 kWh packs under warranty. I guess owners are just supposed to take it on faith that Nissan is actually fixing a software bug, rather than pulling a Volkswagen con job.

This industry is just screaming for standardized, independent measuring and assessment of battery pack health so that consumers can have assurance that they aren't getting scammed.

This sounds like another class action law suit on the boil...
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D

edatoakrun

Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:04 pm

alozzy wrote:...This industry is just screaming for standardized, independent measuring and assessment of battery pack health so that consumers can have assurance that they aren't getting scammed...

We did have just such a program, until it was abruptly cancelled by the present administration, in one of the less-reported actions in its war on science.

viewtopic.php?p=499817#p499817

INL's AVTA EV testing terminated

Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:19 pm

edatoakrun wrote:I've been wondering why this page has not been updated in many months:

https://avt.inl.gov/vehicle-type/all-po ... chitecture

In response to my inquiry:

INL spokesperson:

Thanks again for your interest in INL's work producing the AVTA reports. As you probably know, INL is part of the Department of Energy's national laboratory system and receives much of its research funding and direction from DOE.

To answer your question about the light-duty vehicle testing, federal funding for the project has ended because the EV industry is maturing, which lessens the need for taxpayer-funded testing and data collection.

It is extremely disappointing that the only program that has been independently monitoring manufacturer's claims of BEV/PHEV/BEVx initial battery capacity (total and available) and battery capacity loss over time has been terminated.

This will leave EV owners with few sources of battery capacity data, apart from the inaccurate (and easily manipulated) BMS reports provided by manufacturer's.

The much-more reliable data on charge accepted can only be collected (with some effort) allowing calculation of available battery capacity by owners of EV's for which charge/discharge efficiency reports were previously collected by the AVTA, and published at the site above.

Main threads discussing AVTA testing of initial battery capacity and capacity loss over time for 2011-13 LEAFs below:

2011 LEAF discussion:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=13265

2012 LEAF discussion:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=14271

2013 LEAF discussion:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=18555

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”