Problems with Bluetooth, USB, and Galaxy S9

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlatl

I wonder if anyone has found a solution for the problems I have using my phone in the Leaf (2013 S model).

1. Connecting the phone to the USB connection hoping to play music just gives me the check USB message. No audio. Any suggestions?

2. The voice recognition is awful. For example, no matter what I do, the system will not recognize my last name. It will always give me someone else. As a result I cannot us the car to look up and call anyone in my family. Very frustrating. Has there been any update to this software over the years?

3. With Bluetooth connected, no matter what I try, I cannot play music from the phone. Calls work, but nothing else. Any thoughts?

4. Just got a Samsung Galaxy S9, an upgrade from the S6. Weird problem, when I start up the car, the phone connects, and even though there is no call or anything in progress, the radio mutes and I cannot get it back unless I hit the button on the car to start a command, then hang up (on the car). Anyone else have this happening?

2. The voice recognition is awful. ... Has there been any update to this software over the years?
Awful: yes. I gave up trying to make it work after 2 months. And it will never be updated; Nissan would prefer you buy a new LEAF.

#3 will not work. S trim stereo doesn’t have A2DP music streaming support.

Phone calls are all you can do over Bluetooth on that stereo.

jlatl said:
2. The voice recognition is awful. For example, no matter what I do, the system will not recognize my last name. It will always give me someone else.
Before I stopped using it, I found shouting helped (which was fine if I was alone in the car, but my wife didn't like it). As for the name, you could try using as an alias some name that it does recognize.

On #1, I don’t have an S trim and would never bother connecting my Android phone (which is my work phone) to USB on my SV to get any media to play, but IIRC, Android has various USB connection modes (e.g. https://www.howtogeek.com/192732/android-usb-connections-explained-mtp-ptp-and-usb-mass-storage/). You may need to change it on the phone side.

The voice recognition features on my ’13 SV are virtually worthless. If I need to call someone, I’d rather use Siri than muck w/my car. (e.g. call ______)

Make sure you have proper features enabled in phone BT menu.

As far as voice recognition; Why are you not talking directly to phone? It will still route calls over BT? Your car will NEVER learn how you talk. Your phone will.

Back