smkettner
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014

Re: Electric Charge Cost

Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:00 pm

jborchel wrote:Is there a way to know if a line is actually dedicated through some type of instrument?
Electrician would have a tone generator to discover what is on the circuit.
You can turn off that breaker and see what else turns off.
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV

specialgreen
Delivery Date: 26 Mar 2017

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:44 am

Wow, there are some very high electric rates in this thread. Xcel in Minnesota is about 8.5 cents/kwhr on the normal tarriff; you can switch to a Time of Use plan (3 cents at night, 30 during the day); or choose to pay $5/month for a separate EV meter wired only to your EVSE, with 3/30-cent night/day power just for the EV charging.

If your power costs 30 or 40 cents per kwhr, it seems like a no-brainer to get solar power (either rooftop or solar garden membership). Our solar array produces more than we consume for 9 months out of the year, so we only have to pay for electricity 3 months of the year. Even with our modest utility cost, our solar array is on-track to break-even within 10 years. I have heard that solar installations cost more in Cali, but I'm guessing not 300%-400% more?

jonathanfields4ever
Delivery Date: 15 Feb 2018

Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:54 am

specialgreen wrote:Wow, there are some very high electric rates in this thread. Xcel in Minnesota is about 8.5 cents/kwhr on the normal tarriff; you can switch to a Time of Use plan (3 cents at night, 30 during the day); or choose to pay $5/month for a separate EV meter wired only to your EVSE, with 3/30-cent night/day power just for the EV charging.

If your power costs 30 or 40 cents per kwhr, it seems like a no-brainer to get solar power (either rooftop or solar garden membership). Our solar array produces more than we consume for 9 months out of the year, so we only have to pay for electricity 3 months of the year. Even with our modest utility cost, our solar array is on-track to break-even within 10 years. I have heard that solar installations cost more in Cali, but I'm guessing not 300%-400% more?

Ours is 13.5 cents off-peak and a whopping 34 cents during the day. The plus is that they’re going for a greener energy mix where we live and they pay almost 40 cents per kWh for solar fed back into the grid. They stopped letting new people into the program last year because so many people jumped on it. I’d say a third of the open fields in our area were turned into solar farms.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”