2011-2017 Nissan LEAFs will be considered "collectors' items?"

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

be236

With the 2017 LEAFs being the last unique "Frog-like" car design, is it too early to consider these 2011-2017 model years "collectors' items?"

I think that's kind of cool, one reason why I bough my Nissan LEAF 2017, instead of LEAF 2018...

Though assuming if I keep it for a long time (say, 8 or more years), the battery will likely degrade to its end-final battery capacity to 6/12 bars (?) and giving me a 50-mile range and I drive it until the car falls part?

Thoughts?

Collectors cars, as in worth quite a bit of $ eventually, seems unlikely.

IIRC, the worst so far I've seen (on a FB group) is an '11 (likely) or '12 Leaf down to 3 capacity bars remaining. I do wonder how a 0 capacity bar car behaves (e.g. how fast it can charge via CHAdeMO, is there any regen, when does LBW sound, etc.)

As in collecting dust, maybe; as in being collectable and valuable, no chance.

be236 said:
With the 2017 LEAFs being the last unique "Frog-like" car design, is it too early to consider these 2011-2017 model years "collectors' items?"

In the future people will look back and laugh in amusement at how people once drive around in petroleum powered vehicles. There are many reasons to collect cars, one is historical significance. I believe the Leaf falls into this category. When people in the future study the electrical revolution, the Leaf will standout. Why? It was among the first group of vehicles to make electricity a viable alternative. For that reason I believe the Leaf will be a collectable car, despite its shortcomings which will only make it more charming to future collectors.

LKK said:
In the future people will look back and laugh in amusement at how people once drive around in petroleum powered vehicles. There are many reasons to collect cars, one is historical significance. I believe the Leaf falls into this category. When people in the future study the electrical revolution, the Leaf will standout. Why? It was among the first group of vehicles to make electricity a viable alternative. For that reason I believe the Leaf will be a collectable car, despite its shortcomings which will only make it more charming to future collectors.

Yeah, I agree with you... in the future sometime (10-20 years from now?), I do think LEAF (model years 2011-2017) will be considered "collectable," and of historic significance.

2011 being the first model year might be the most significant as historical/collector car--I wish mine had not been destroyed because it was a relatively low serial number and also a participant in the Phoenix Range Test in September 2012.

smkettner said:
I see no collectibility value in our lifetime. First Roadsters maybe but not the LEAF.

You are probably right, the first Roadsters (I wish I had found a way to purchase one) are more likely collector items. EV1s would certainly be collectible if GM had not crushed all but a few museum pieces.

Back