dtam83
Delivery Date: 25 Jul 2018

Warning - Pro-Pilot Assist issues

Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:49 pm

So I was in stop and go traffic and I was following a black Lincoln Navigator. When coming to a complete stop, once I got within 15 feet of the stopped Navigator, the car would accelerate like it couldn't see the Navigator any more. I stopped the first time and I tested it again and it happened a 2nd time.

So warning to everyone using the Pro-Pilot assist feature that if you're following a large, boxy vehicle, be extra careful when it's stop and go because the car might decide to accelerate

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Re: Warning - Pro-Pilot Assist issues

Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:37 pm

The adaptive cruise control is lousy at lower speeds. It decelerates way too quickly, then is reluctant and slow to re-accelerate. Unless, of course, you are behind a large boxy vehicle, apparently.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Astros
Delivery Date: 28 Apr 2018
Leaf Number: 306739

Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:59 pm

Also, it seems that e-Pedal gets turned off (even if it says it's on) when you have ProPilot engaged. I was using it in heavy traffic on a very steep hill in downtown Seattle, and after it brought my car to a stop it started rolling backwards! I tapped the brakes and it stopped right away, and after that e-Pedal held the car there just fine.
Jade Frost 2018 SV

boba7523
Delivery Date: 04 Aug 2018

Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:34 am

Wow that's very dangerous. Makes me wonder what the real world usage of ProPilot is. Makes me think that it's a gimmick versus really being able to make you less fatigued while driving.

If anything, it'd increase my heart rate just by not being able to 100% rely on it and not know if one moment it might decide to accelerate towards a black boxy vehicle.

I'm on the market for a 2018 Nissan Leaf and the unreliability of the ProPilot and the battery degradation (in sunny Southern California weather of 100F+) is really discouraging given I've test driven this car and love it...........

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:32 pm

If you have legitimate concerns about a safety issue/defect, please file a formal complaint with Nissan corporate and NHTSA via safercar.gov. If you believe a dealer can resolve, take it there first.

For those who haven’t bought or leased yet, you can choose not to pay for feature.

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

LeftieBiker

Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:02 pm

boba7523 wrote:Wow that's very dangerous. Makes me wonder what the real world usage of ProPilot is. Makes me think that it's a gimmick versus really being able to make you less fatigued while driving.

If anything, it'd increase my heart rate just by not being able to 100% rely on it and not know if one moment it might decide to accelerate towards a black boxy vehicle.

I'm on the market for a 2018 Nissan Leaf and the unreliability of the ProPilot and the battery degradation (in sunny Southern California weather of 100F+) is really discouraging given I've test driven this car and love it...........

I've learned to use mine as just an enhanced version of regular cruise control - at speed, on the highway or main streets only. I don't use it for stop and go driving because of the too-abrupt braking, too weak acceleration, and now because of the truck blindness issue.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

boba7523
Delivery Date: 04 Aug 2018

Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:11 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
boba7523 wrote:Wow that's very dangerous. Makes me wonder what the real world usage of ProPilot is. Makes me think that it's a gimmick versus really being able to make you less fatigued while driving.

I've learned to use mine as just an enhanced version of regular cruise control - at speed, on the highway or main streets only. I don't use it for stop and go driving because of the too-abrupt braking, too weak acceleration, and now because of the truck blindness issue.

I'm contemplating getting the SL just for the ProPilot... Did a brief test drive with it and found braking to be abrupt and slow acceleration as well. I guess the technology is still in its infancy... Kinda had high hopes for it :/

LeftieBiker

Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:05 pm

I'm contemplating getting the SL just for the ProPilot... Did a brief test drive with it and found braking to be abrupt and slow acceleration as well. I guess the technology is still in its infancy... Kinda had high hopes for it :/

I have encountered one situation in which the acceleration after braking for traffic is actually too hard: when a car turns at an intersection in front of you, your car will then try to blast through the intersection while accelerating quickly. Nice programming, Nissan!

imstriker
Delivery Date: 06 Aug 2018
Leaf Number: 400040

Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:41 am

I have ACC on my Grand Cherokee from 2015 and absolutely love it. I depend on it completely in all situations.

I test drove an 18 Leaf the other day and we took it out on the interstate to play with ProPilot. The ACC part wasn't bad in that situation, but I was amazed at how bad lane keeping was. It tried to veer out of its lane twice while it said it was in control. I had to pull it back both times from the next lane over. Maybe I'd get more comfortable over time but from that brief experience I think it would make me more stressed versus not using it.

LeftieBiker

Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:41 am

The lane keeping isn't terrible on mine, but it has the rude habit of steering just over the white line, then vibrating the wheel to "warn" me about what it just did.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”