WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Re: 2018 Leaf Owners in Hot Climates?

Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:56 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:The problem is that this pack seems to need ambient temps usually found in Scotland, not the continental US.

Based on what?

Seriously, why the pessimism? I don't see the evidence. If I missed it, point me to it.

There hasn't been enough time, realistically, to get a good measurement of how fast the cars will degrade. I'm not convinced by minor variation of the BMS's estimates, we have seen how bad the BMS estimate was for the 30kWh batteries, and I've seen huge variation in my 2014. The test of time requires time.

Other than pointing out the initial cost of the AC unit, I mostly agreed with your cost estimate. Didn't you notice?

What I don't see is how much your method reduces battery temperatures in your climate. Do you have measurements you care to share? The largest gain would come from someone in a hotter climate, where a larger reduction in battery temperature is reasonable at a higher energy cost than you would have. In your climate you should be looking at battery life of around 12 years or more, as you are generally cooler than the US average, and it is a fair bet that Nissan set the warranty threshold so that most people didn't qualify. Syracuse, NY and Seattle, WA have similar battery aging profiles. Both have an aging factor of 0.69 from Stoaty's model.
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:48 pm

You just dismissed BMS numbers, so why bother to look them up for you? The short answer is that my garage cooling appears to reduce pack temp by an average of one bar while I'm driving in hot weather. The A/C unit, BTW, had been sitting around here since 1990, when I last used it to cool the garage. It was used even then. IOW it was free. A new HE unit would cost $99.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:52 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:You just dismissed BMS numbers, so why bother to look them up for you? The short answer is that my garage cooling appears to reduce pack temp by an average of one bar while I'm driving in hot weather.

I've seen my LeafSpy estimated capacity increase 13% in a few days. Do you think that is real? Recharge tests done carefully at a known temperature on the same car is good evidence. A multicar range test with multiple cars of different ages is also good evidence. Carefully controlled dynamo tests, those are believable.

LeafSpy's report of the BMS's estimates is not believable.

Don't forget the 30kWh battery BMS bug.

Want to convince me? Show believable evidence.

LeafSpy temperatures with your garage cooling?
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:59 pm

Actually, I don't care what you think, and I usually filter you, mostly because of your dogged persistence in arguing. I'm just making sure that people know that, given reasonable rates and a garage that has lots of thermal mass, it isn't expensive to keep one in the tolerable zone for a Leaf pack. You can have the last word, unseen by me.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”