Considering an upgrade to 2017

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marktm

Leaf Supporting Member
Having a great experience with my 2012 Leaf - new battery about 2 years ago and meets my "commuter" needs very well. ~58 aHrs currently
Considering upgrading to a 2017 SV/SL for the following reasons:

- I'd like to be able to get to my rural property on one (or close as possible) charge - essentially 100 miles of highway driving one way. I now have to take an older Suburban (and use over 10 gallons of gas!)
- A level II (240 VAC) charge station is available mid way, so with a 6.6kw charger, the wait is tolerable for me when the battery degrades. I have made the trip in my 2012, but with the 3.3 kw charger, it is NOT tolerable - especially with weekly/bi-weekly trips.
- The cabin is set up to level II charge and I always stay at least one night.
- Heat will likely never be required. A/C will in summer, but I keep the HVAC set at 77oF and I can still get ~4 miles/kWh average on this trip (2012)
- Should I consider a 2016??
- Finally, I want bi-directional protocols available in QC port and want to "experiment" with a V2H system at the cabin - I am told the 2013+ models have these protocols

I am willing to wait for the right deal - but probably not more than 3 months. Would appreciate any helpful advice - price, mileage, battery statistics, options, etc.

I think a 2018 would be more suitable, to give you some more range buffer. Currently a 2k rebate from Nissan and 1k Leaf loyalty rebate, at last in my region. You might not have too much of a premium over a 2017.

As you keep your cars a while, suggest 2018 as well. It’ll easily make your 100 mile trip and have some overhead for degradation down the road. 2018s will drop with the 2019s around the corner.

Definitely will consider a 2018 if/when "depreciation" hits and if I cannot find the right 2017 (price). In TX, we don't get much incentives beyond the Feds, so the 2018 will cost about$27,000 drive out, I'd guess. I'm hoping for a $12000, 2017 SV, but don't know if that's possible. Also, in TX, it is very likely I'll get a replacement battery in any 2017 that I buy - at least from experience of my 2012!

There are issues with the 2016-2017 pack. They may just be "software errors" as Nissan claims, but I wouldn't take their word for it. We'll know more in 6 months or so. Meanwhile, I too agree on the 2018, especially if you can lease one.

LeftieBiker said:
There are issues with the 2016-2017 pack. They may just be "software errors" as Nissan claims, but I wouldn't take their word for it.

You don't have to take Nissan's word on this issue. Other people have done dynamometer testing to verify this issue.

https://flipthefleet.org/2018/30-kwh-nissan-leaf-firmware-update-to-correct-capacity-reporting/

I had a 2011, and was able to get a new battery under warranty at just under 5 yrs and 60,000 miles.

At the end of 2016 I went looking for a 2017 Leaf with a 30 kWh Battery and was able to find a good deal as Nissan was already talking about the new 2018 coming out with more range.

With the 2017 I could notice/immediately feel I had much more flexibility for my driving patterns with the additional range, and didn’t need to charge as often. The 6 KW charge IS faster, and the DC ChaDeMo was faster also. If you had a DC quick Charger that didn’t cost much for a quick 10-15 minute charge you could add another 40-50 mile range easily up to 80-85%, after that it starts slowing down.

So I think you could possibly find a good deal on a 2016 or 2017 and make do.

However, since the 2019 is coming out with more range, you could likely find a good deal on a 2018 with 150 mile range.

With your experience on your current Leaf it is just a matter of your budget, and whether you like the new technology added to the 2018 or not (like the lane centering, intelligent cruise control, and other collision avoidance features.)

Good luck in your decision.

Separately, don’t know what part of Texas you live, but encourage you to join a local EAA group if close. I understand there is one in Dallas And one in Houston. Good to share information with the other members.

I've got a used CPO Nissan LEAF 2017 and loving it... fun to drive... my first EV car... You should be able to do 100 miles with a full charge and slow and flat freeway drive (say around 55-60mph)... If you can find one for around $15k, that would be a good deal. Or a LEAF 2016 SV with 30kWh battery.

In Minnesota, the SL/SV goes for about $2k more than S with Quickcharge package. The main difference is that S has no heat-pump heater, which is something you won't need. Also, there were some low-price leases on the S model. So you may get a better deal if you include S.

In our market, the only 30kw on Craigslist is a 2016 SL for $19k! I think you may do best by buying from Portland/Seattle :
https://seattle.craigslist.org/search/cta?max_price=14000&auto_make_model=nissan+leaf&min_auto_year=2016&max_auto_year=2017

...then paying to have the car shipped. If you've got the time, you can drive there to shop, then 2-wheel-dolly one back.

Back