2018 Nissan Leaf Versus 2018 Hyundai Ioniq Electric

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeriv

Found this review in my newsfeed:

https://www.slashgear.com/2018-niss...oniq-electric-head-to-head-in-depth-02544195/

"Final Take

If you are in the market for a practical and affordable electric car, the 2018 Hyundai Ioniq Electric will serve you well. It comes with abundant standard features at a low base price – But if you desire an electric car that is meant to be driven, take a closer look at the 2018 Nissan Leaf – It offers more oomph from the more powerful motor and it can take you farther courtesy of the larger battery pack."

Worth reading the full review.

Good luck getting an Ioniq Electric if you’re not in So Cal. My coworker (we’re in Nor Cal) looked into it a few months ago. He now has a Model 3.

The apparent supply and availability issues (for the US, seemingly So Cal only) are likely why US sales are puny. See https://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/.

This is why I'm highly skeptical of all the Hyundai Kona buzz until it's known that it and other Hyundai/Kia BEVs are actually readily available in at least most of California instead of being virtual US vaporware.

The much higher highway efficiency of the Ioniq narrows the travel range: 151 miles for the LEAF and 124 miles for the Ioniq.
When new anyway. IIRC the Ioniq has a poor TMS and we know the LEAF does not have one at all.

Tough choice between two bad choices. If those were the only two cars in the EV universe I would choose the Ioniq if the range was adequate for my driving patterns but if at all possible I would wait for the Tesla Model 3 SR or consider a cheap Bolt. Spending $20k - $30k on a car with a poor battery is penny wise and pound foolish.

It's looking like there may be a competitive set of offerings with 50-60 kwh and TMS, around $35k (Bolt/'19 Leaf/Model 3 base). Of course, only the Bolt is available in that range today. There could be a market for a cheaper "city car" with less range. I could see someone pushing into the city-car market with a $25k offering for 30 kw-hrs + TMS; or $20k for 25 kw-hrs.

But the $35k offerings may be too compelling for manufacturers to bring new cars with sub-50kw-hrs and no TMS, unless there is a $10k price discount.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Ioniq does offer thermal management, right?

So, on the real long run (500+KM), the Ionique will get there quicker, since it doesn't suffer from the #rapidgate!

For most commute, the leaf is still better as it is more fun to drive, faster and mostly better finish(IMHO)

Yup, ironic that the IONIQ has less range on a single charge, but will do longer trips faster than the LEAF, due to full rate successive charges (thanks to its TMS).

To continue w/my reply (2nd post), frankly, there's little point in even talking about the Ioniq Electric unless you can actually get it in your area.

From https://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/, sales continue to be puny. A whopping 21 were sold/leased in Aug 2018 in the US.

Back