2019 Leaf Announced. NO EXTENDED RANGE.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aluminumwelder

looks like the only thing they added was a RDA. so baby's don't die by accident.

https://electrek.co/2018/09/14/nissan-leaf-2019-us-pricing-longer-range-version/

I'll believe it when I see it. A makeover for the leaf was also expected in 2016, took them till 2018 to actually come through.

Extended range "in the future". Translation they still haven't gotten their act together regarding EV batteries.

Official press release at http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/releases/nissan-announces-u-s-pricing-for-2019-leaf.

The 2019 LEAF features a 150-mile driving range3, attractive exterior design, roomy high- tech interior and advanced technologies including ProPILOT Assist4 and e-Pedal5.

For 2019, Nissan LEAF adds standard Rear Door Alert (RDA)6 (late availability). A longer-range version will be available in the future.

Mods: This should probably be moved to the gen 2 area: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewforum.php?f=55.

I'm glad I didn't continue to wait for the longer range version. My Clarity PHEV is working out great for my particular needs, which I acknowledge are more challenging than what I assume is anywhere close to 'average'.

OrientExpress said:
Depends where you live. I would imagine first deliveries will be late March. Essentially the same avability timing as the 2018s

So basically when I could get into one, I will have been driving my Bolt for 2 years. I'm really glad I didn't wait, but I will heartily welcome Nissan to the party.

^^^
It really is shame that Nissan is so late to this. Per https://www.theverge.com/2016/12/13/13925272/chevy-bolt-electric-ev-delivery, 1st Bolts were delivered in Dec 2016.

At my work and around me, I've observed that many Leafs (and short range EVs) were replaced with Bolts. My next door neighbor got a Bolt to apparently supplement their Leaf. Two doors away, that neighbor had a leased Leaf, now they have a Bolt. At free public L2 charging near home, there used tons of Leafs. Sometimes, I'm the lone Leaf and many of the vehicles around me are GM (tend to be gen 1 and 2 Volts + Bolts).

Good point. When the Bolt wasn't yet available, Nissan said they would beat the Bolt. I didn't seriously think they would wait until 3 years into the Bolt's production cycle to do that. Speaking of the Bolt, shouldn't we be hearing about Bolt 2.0 or at least 1.1, probably around the time that the Leaf actually catches up?

smkettner said:
I read it will be an LG battery for the long range
That's still rumor/wishful thinking, AFAIK. But, it seems likely given what Carlos Ghosn has said in the past and that Nissan has sold off a majority stake in AESC. Previously, they were going to sell all of AESC to a Chinese company but that fell through.

https://insideevs.com/nissan-ceo-best-battery-maker-lg-chem/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/bertelschmitt/2016/12/16/carlos-ghosn-explains-why-making-your-own-batteries-is-dumb/

cwerdna said:
At my work and around me, I've observed that many Leafs (and short range EVs) were replaced with Bolts.
I see this at my work too. Yesterday yet another coworker turned in a leased LEAF and bought a Bolt.

BTW: Someone should edit the title of this thread and put "Yet" at the end.

I am not surprised... What idiot would include a drastic improvement to the car for 3 consecutive years. Anyone who traded their 20 or 30 KWH car would feel jypped, .... and anyone who bought the 40 KWH would feel jypped... Not to mention the cost and confusion of maintaining different stock, and the constant explaining of the differences to customers. Making that many incremental changes to a car in a short time would make the car company look stupid..

In some ways, I am glad that they did not increase the battery size. I have been very comfortable with my 80 mile range "short range" 24KWH Leaf for the past 4 years and expect to get at least another 4 good years before noticeable range issues... I would have loved to get the 2018 as my first EV, with the 130 mile range it has. That would be more than I will ever need on a daily basis. I personally feel that a 60 KWH car is overkill, and frankly a size that is a bit greedy.

Although the Bolt, with its 200 mile range is currently selling, I cant imagine more than 2-5% of the Bolt drivers using that range daily... I can wait for a 250 mile range Leaf for a few years.

powersurge said:
I am not surprised... What idiot would include a drastic improvement to the car for 3 consecutive years. Anyone who traded their 20 or 30 KWH car would feel jypped, .... and anyone who bought the 40 KWH would feel jypped... Not to mention the cost and confusion of maintaining different stock, and the constant explaining of the differences to customers. Making that many incremental changes to a car in a short time would make the car company look stupid..
I guess you haven't been paying attention. See the slide I pointed to at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=532101#p532101 that was put up by a Nissan corporate marketing guy at an EVent in Sept 2017 held at their small research office in Sunnyvale, CA. I was there.
powersurge said:
In some ways, I am glad that they did not increase the battery size. I have been very comfortable with my 80 mile range "short range" 24KWH Leaf for the past 4 years and expect to get at least another 4 good years before noticeable range issues... I would have loved to get the 2018 as my first EV, with the 130 mile range it has. That would be more than I will ever need on a daily basis. I personally feel that a 60 KWH car is overkill, and frankly a size that is a bit greedy.

Although the Bolt, with its 200 mile range is currently selling, I cant imagine more than 2-5% of the Bolt drivers using that range daily... I can wait for a 250 mile range Leaf for a few years.
'18 Leaf has 151 mile EPA range rating. Greedy or overkill or not, take a look at US Bolt sales vs. Leaf sales for 2018 and 2017 at https://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/. In some parts of the US, a Bolt is difficult or impossible to get (possibly coupled w/no service availability), judging by reports on another forum I'm on. Also notice that the US sales of the 310 mile EPA range Model 3. It is decimating all the other BEVs there despite the much higher price tag, no leasing available yet, production hell and now delivery logistics hell.

You should see the incoming number of new 3's at my work vs. the puny set of incoming '18 Leafs at my work. Ditto, if you observe what shows up at free public L2 charging I use now esp. compared to a few years ago before the Bolt and 3 existed.

However much those drivers might use that range or not, it apparently gives them enough buffer, cushion, comfort to buy. I can tell you that if I had a vehicle w/EPA range of 200+ miles, it's enough that I could ditch my "range extender", my 06 Prius. I would need to borrow or rent an ICEV very infrequently.

Nissan has publicly stated they want to go after the affordable EV market. Given that, it shouldn't be a surprise that they aren't too worried about competing with Tesla at this point.

They should be a lot more worried about the Hyundai Kona and Kia Niro EVs, as those cars are both at a price point that will rob sales from the 2018/2019 LEAFs, assuming Hyundai decides to make them more than compliance cars of course.

There are other "affordable" EVs on the horizon too. You've got to love the competition, as it's nothing but good news for consumers. I wouldn't be buying stock in Nissan any time soon though...

powersurge said:
Not daily but I can see easily having 150 mile days and you get home to another phone call that drags you out another 40 miles and you want to avoid charging with on-peak rates.

Some of us get to charge free at work and really enjoy getting through the weekend without plugging in. Lots of different situations.

^^^
And, with longer range, folks can space out their charging (e.g. once every few days) instead of having to charge daily/more often and having contention issues at work. At my work (where charging is free), we have lots more registered EVs and PHEVs than we have J1772 handles now.

One former 24 kWh Leaf driver had at least a 30 mile commute each way, almost all highway. She now has a Bolt so it's no longer a requirement to charge at work each day to make it comfortably home. She can now do multiple round trips w/o charging at home at all.

Although not all of them show up each day to charge on a daily basis, the ratio of registered non-Teslas to handles around our occupied is worse than 4:1 now. If you count Teslas, it's past 5.7:1, but the Teslas can use the small set of Tesla wall connectors we have.

Back