Impending trade war with US. Can Canada get Leafs from Japan?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webeleafowners

It’s starting to look like the USA and Canada will be entering into a trade war and more than likely we’ll see 25 percent Tariffs on any vehicles coming out of the US. Before they came out of the tenessee factory Canada got Leafs from Japan. I wonder if this will be an option for us or will it be just Korean and European EV’s available to us.

It's really about what Nissan Canada, and Nissan corporate in Japan, want to do. VW for example shipped eGolfs to North America from the Wolfsburg plant, even though all other Golfs for this market (except for the R) normally are made in Mexico to keep the costs down.

Now whether it's cheaper to do so, vs. any possible tariff, is a different story. The Leaf's article in Wikipedia is saying that an 18% drop in price was possible for the US due to it being produced here, even when you factor in the costs of starting a whole new production line. I also don't know how constrained production is at the Oppama plant (where the Leaf for Japan is still being built) and if they have room once again to produce vehicles for other markets.

It's also possible that Nissan Canada might shift some burden of any additional tariffs from lower-profit cars to higher-profit trucks and SUVs.

Back