Level 2 charging question, 2018 Leaf, SL, Technology package

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baltneu

I just brought home a 2018 Nissan Leaf, SL model, with Technology package.
I opened the bag in the trunk with the charging cable and I notice the plug is for a 220 volt line.
Also included is a 110 volt adapter that will fit over the 220 plug.
I thought I read somewhere that I already have a Level 2 charging station with this 220 plug.
So my question is: If I have an electrician bring in a 220 receptable to my garage (circuit breaker box already in garage), do I need to purchase a stand-alone Level 2 charger from Siemens (as an example) for $450+, or do I already have with the 220 line a Level 2 charge with my SL model?
Thank you.

Sounds like you have the 120/240 volt L1/L2 EVSE (example pic at https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156658173042542&set=g.170730229651313&type=1&theater&ifg=1 and http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=521222#p521222). Those are the correct voltages, not 110 and 220.

It will also have markings on the brick listing input and output of both 120 and 240 volts.

If so, you need to get a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed (pic at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEMA_connector#/media/File:NEMA_simplified_pins.svg) on a 50 amp circuit. You will not need to buy a separate level 2 EVSE. However, if you cannot accommodate a 50 amp circuit, then you will need to look into lower amperage capable options.

For level 1 and 2 (100 to 240 volts) AC charging, the charger is on-board the car. The external unit is an EVSE. See diagram by planet4ever at https://web.archive.org/web/20150619074649/http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=262630. For DC fast charging (on Leaf, it's the large CHAdeMO inlet on the left), the external unit is a charger (well, actually an EVSE with off-board charger).

https://web.archive.org/web/20121008175438/http://www.sae.org/smartgrid/chargingspeeds.pdf has the terminology.

Thank you for the quick response.
I looked at my breaker box, the largest breaker in there is a 30 amp breaker which was for the AC and a 30 amp breaker for my electric dryer.
Is there a way to tell if my box will accept a 50 amp breaker before having an electrician come out to do the work?

Most panels that will accept a 30 amp double breaker will accept a similar 50 amp breaker. All that is needed is two adjacent slots for one, and enough available capacity in the service. That is a somewhat complicated calculation. You will then need cable and a 240 volt outlet that can handle 50 amps, although in your case a 40 amp breaker will do fine.

I thought I read somewhere that I already have a Level 2 charging station with this 220 plug.

I really don't understand what you mean here...

cwerdna said:
If so, you need to get a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed (pic at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEMA_connector#/media/File:NEMA_simplified_pins.svg) on a 50 amp circuit. You will not need to buy a separate level 2 EVSE. However, if you cannot accommodate a 50 amp circuit, then you will need to look into lower amperage capable options.

The stock EVSE that comes with the SL only draws a max of 30A gross(28A net) so telling the OP that a 50A service is needed is potential overkill.

Granted 10ga wiring that is typical for a 30A circuit is not adequate but a longer run from the service panel to the ease mounting point may be viable with 8ga wire in a longer run scenario whereas a 50A service would necessitate 6gaover the same distance which would increase install costs considerably.

They still need a NEMA 14-50 receptacle but practically speaking the EVSE is the only thing that will be plugged into it & if fused with a 40A breaker there's not a major concern if someday an actual 50A device was plugged into the outlet because then the smaller breaker would interrupt if the power draw was too great.

7wi4mMW.png

@Baltneu Your breaker panel should have a label on it, indicating the amperage rating of the panel. If you have a 200 amp breaker panel, then you're probably fine to add a 50 amp load for your LEAF if the only big loads are your AC and dryer. If it's a 100 amp panel, then you would be maxing out if the AC, dryer, and EVSE were all on at the same time.

Either way, take some photos of your panel and of the charger (EVSE) that came with your LEAF (including a photo of the label on the brick), reach out to an electrician, and email him/her all the photos. That should be enough info to quote on and you shouldn't be charged for the quote.

LeftieBiker said:
Most panels that will accept a 30 amp double breaker will accept a similar 50 amp breaker. All that is needed is two adjacent slots for one, and enough available capacity in the service. That is a somewhat complicated calculation. You will then need cable and a 240 volt outlet that can handle 50 amps, although in your case a 40 amp breaker will do fine.

I really don't understand what you mean here...

When the included SL EVSE(charging station) is connected to a 220/230V/240V power source they do have a L2 charging solution. I'm presuming the confusion is the included 110V/115V/120V adapter is making them think it's not L2 without realizing how small a dedicated L1 EVSE(charging station) is.

Thank you all.
Will be calling an electrician today who can do the work.
Seems like a 40a breaker will do the job.
My panel is a 200a panel, so should be good to go. That will save me $500.

I ordered a Level 2 charger the other day, well that is being returned. I am a little surprised the salesman at the dealership I bought the car from did not tell me this info.
Thanks again to all forum members

HerdingElectrons said:
cwerdna said:

The stock EVSE that comes with the SL only draws a max of 30A gross(28A net) so telling the OP that a 50A service is needed is potential overkill.

They still need a NEMA 14-50 receptacle but practically speaking the EVSE is the only thing that will be plugged into it & if fused with a 40A breaker there's not a major concern if someday an actual 50A device was plugged into the outlet because then the smaller breaker would interrupt if the power draw was too great.
FWIW, this point has been debated about numerous times here. Examples below:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=533355#p533355
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=536631#p536631

I'm not an electrician nor do I know NEC, but it doesn't seem right to put on a NEMA 14-50 receptacle on a 40 amp circuit. What if they (or a future occupant/homeowner) plugged in a gen 1 Tesla UMC that can draw 40 amps continuously over NEMA 14-50 or some other 40 amp EVSE w/that plug then attached a car with a 40+ amp OBC? All Tesla Model S, X and 3 so far come with 40+ amp OBCs. (Model 3 standard range (not shipping yet) will only have 32 amp OBC.)

If you look in the '18 Leaf manual, there are numerous references using a 50 amp circuit:
Only charge using a standard AC 220
- 240 volt, 50A dedicated electrical
outlet (for example, do not use an
electric generator). Failure to do so
maycause charging to fail and could
cause damage to the vehicle or the
EVSE due to power surges.

Good point, why not go then with the 50amp breaker. What NEMA outlet should be used?

I strongly recommend a 50-ampere breaker and appropriate wiring when a NEMA 14-50 receptacle is installed. When I looked at a 2018 LEAF a couple weeks ago, I confirmed the new Nissan portable EVSE needs a NEMA 14-50 receptacle for L2 use. Something else to think about: You may want to install a permanent L2 EVSE in the garage and keep the Nissan unit in the car for portable use.

So I am smart when the electrician comes, what gauge wire is used on a 50 amp breaker?

FYI.......I looked at Charging section in the manual, at least 6 times they reference a 50 amp breaker.

Baltneu said:
Thank you all.
Will be calling an electrician today who can do the work.
Seems like a 40a breaker will do the job.
My panel is a 200a panel, so should be good to go. That will save me $500.

I ordered a Level 2 charger the other day, well that is being returned. I am a little surprised the salesman at the dealership I bought the car from did not tell me this info.
Thanks again to all forum members
Yes, a 40a circuit will do, and I mention it mainly so that folks will know they have that option if their panel is near capacity, 8ga wire is already run, or some other circumstance makes 40a easier to install, but do 50a if you can. I've always wished I had since my current car could do 40a charging if I had the bigger circuit.

alozzy said:
@Baltneu Your breaker panel should have a label on it, indicating the amperage rating of the panel. If you have a 200 amp breaker panel, then you're probably fine to add a 50 amp load for your LEAF if the only big loads are your AC and dryer. If it's a 100 amp panel, then you would be maxing out if the AC, dryer, and EVSE were all on at the same time.

Either way, take some photos of your panel and of the charger (EVSE) that came with your LEAF (including a photo of the label on the brick), reach out to an electrician, and email him/her all the photos. That should be enough info to quote on and you shouldn't be charged for the quote.

I have a 200A service since Anaheim requires at least 200A. For me it just means more slots. With the air running I use 13.1A. Except that it was an FPE panel my old 100A panel was fine. This was measured with a TED.

@Baltneu if you want to install a receptacle that can also be used to charge your next EV, then go with a 50 amp circuit. Otherwise, the 2018 LEAF's OBC only draws 27.5A @ 240V so a 40A or even 30A (see below) circuit is enough...

I think Nissan chose the oddball charging rate of 6.6 kW because in Japan they use 200V (50Hz) supply, which means a 33A draw - so intended for use on a 40A circuit. Just a guess though and irrelevant :)

If you want to save some money on installation costs, you could have a 30A circuit installed (NEMA 14-30R) and purchase an EVSE that can be set to 24A instead. You'll get a charging rate of about 5.8 kW instead of 6.6 kW, but you'll hardly notice the difference. The main benefit is that you can keep the stock EVSE in the LEAF for emergencies (or for campground charging) and use the new one for home use. Note that, in order to do that, you'll need to select an EVSE with multiple (programmable) amperage set points and a NEMA 14-30P on the cable. FWIW, the EVSE in my signature does that and it's portable and inexpensive too. It's been my home charger for almost 2 years now, no issues at all.

Short version - if you can afford it then go with a 50A circuit, otherwise explore the options above.

Baltneu said:
FYI.......I looked at Charging section in the manual, at least 6 times they reference a 50 amp breaker.
I have the 2017 (hardcopy) and 2018 (electronic) versions of the manual and only see the mention of a 50A "circuit" once, on charging section pg CH-3; it indicates "circuit and outlet". About 4 other pages in the manual indicate using a "50A dedicated electrical outlet". I have seen this talked about in other threads, so I will not go into too much detail on it, but an "outlet" (receptacle) and "circuit" are not the same thing.

I was in a similar situation as you. I was planning on buying a Siemens EVSE for my 2018 Leaf, but ended up getting the Nissan charger package and portable 120/240V EVSE. I ended up not getting the Siemens EVSE and placed the Nissan EVSE in my garage as the main supply connected to a NEMA 14-50 receptacle. In my case, I had a 40A breaker and 8 AWG cable installed for a 40A circuit, since my Leaf charger can only handle 6.6 kW @ 240 V, or 30A from the Nissan EVSE. My circuit run is less than 10 ft from panel to receptacle, within the garage, so if I need to upgrade in the future, then it would be easy enough.

Back