Vibration

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uccello

I just returned from a long 6 hour drive in my BMW wagon today; it has been a regular haul for the last few weeks for me. After I returned home, I switched cars to go into work for a while and noticed something in the Leaf for the first time. Since we got the Leaf I've been telling everyone how quiet the car is, but really, it isn't that is it quiet, it is that there is very little to no vibration.

6 hours in an ICE car makes you very aware of how much extra vibration is coming from the engine and comparing it to the Leaf, how little vibration is coming from the road. Makes me wonder that when lots of electric cars are on the road will ICE car manufacturers be forced to further improve damping because of the ready comparison/selling point of a vibration free electric.

-u.

I drove our Honda Odyssey yesterday - I used to think it was a nice smooth ride. I agree with the others - it's amazing how much vibration you feel through the gas pedal. I also was getting used to accelerating without the transmission shifting. There are so many positives to an EV it's hard to spit them all out when discussing the car with someone. I'm starting to feel like I should have a checklist...

As a side note, one of the neighbors came over and said "Did I just see you pull a Leaf into your garage?". She was pretty excited - she made the 4 hour trip to Portland to take one for a test drive, but I don't think she has ordered one (they don't need a new car).

Greg

Yes, quiet, smooth transportation is something most people in the USA have never experienced, I think.

Even my electric motorcycle (scooter body) is a real treat on smooth road surfaces.

Many prefer some noise and physical feedback. That's the attraction of many cars. The exhaust note, the raucous valvetrain of the engine...to many, it's music. Many consider that these visceral experiences serve to enhance the driving experience.

Some of the criticisms of cars like the Accord, Camry, Prius and others it that it is too appliance like, too quiet, staid, vapid, devoid of any feeling or connection to driving.

I agree that certain feedback is important in MotorSports. The core point is regarding the family minivan on its way to WalMart... maybe not so much "feedback" is required. :roll:

I will not be missing vibration or engine noises, but I will miss the exhaust sound when you accelerate. I wish Leaf would have an option for artificial exhaust sound...

I am firmly in that camp! That is why one of my all-time favorite cars is still my M3!

Train said:
Many prefer some noise and physical feedback. That's the attraction of many cars. The exhaust note, the raucous valvetrain of the engine...to many, it's music. Many consider that these visceral experiences serve to enhance the driving experience.

Some of the criticisms of cars like the Accord, Camry, Prius and others it that it is too appliance like, too quiet, staid, vapid, soul-less, devoid of any feeling or connection to driving.

I fully expect SOMEONE to hack the LEAF and get customizable motion sounds, startup sounds and backup sounds. I'm tempted to give it a try. Just not sure if I have the patience for that these days. :)

How do u think I feel when I get gas in the Prius once a week. I think of all the bragging I did about how quiet it was and now I drive it and it sounds like a rattlebucket!!

mogur said:
I am firmly in that camp! That is why one of my all-time favorite cars is still my M3!

Train said:

Some of the criticisms of cars like the Accord, Camry, Prius and others it that it is too appliance like, too quiet, staid, vapid, soul-less, devoid of any feeling or connection to driving.

Sports cars are for guys that don't know how to ride ;) ! See below :!:

Train said:

Automakers actually tune their exhaust system to a particular frequency and sound type. People expect a certain sound from a sports car vs a sedan. It's amazing the way we are programmed by marketing.

I worked in the beverage industry for years. If you ask people what the color of ginger ale is, the vast majority will say green because of the bottle color. If you want to introduce a new ginger ale to the market, it has to come in a green color package or no one will buy it. Wonder what EVs will do to the psyche of the typical consumer?

BTW I drive an SLK Roadster and love the sound

Ratz :!: I meant sportbikes :roll: Ya know, Trackdays, 2.5 zero to 60, blah, blah, blah?!?!

Oh nevermind. Back OT.

Back