Will 2018/2019 Leaf batteries be upgradable?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baltneu

It appears that Nissan will announce the longer range battery at CES this week.
They say first deliveries in May in Europe.
Also reported current 40 kWh battery will remain available.
Will it be possible to have an upgrade of current 2018/2019 models to the larger battery range?

OrientExpress said:
Extremely unlikely.
I would agree. Nissan has not facilitated making any of the previous battery packs upgradable to the next larger size (24kwh, 30kwh, 40kwh). In this case, rumors are that the 60kwh pack will have active air cooling. If that is accurate, then that makes it even less likely.

I imagine the battery pack will be physically larger; requiring some structural changes to the vehicle. I’ll be happy if I can get a reasonably priced battery exchange for my 2018 in 10 years or so.

Totally agree with Dooglas and OE. Anyone who has been following Leaf since the 24, 30 and 40 kWh packs will see why.
Baltneu said:
It appears that Nissan will announce the longer range battery at CES this week.
They say first deliveries in May in Europe.
Also reported current 40 kWh battery will remain available.
On the first point, maybe. Probably yes.

On the latter two, source?

If you're an engineer, yes it is possible. If you don't know what voltage and amperage and wattage are, then no, not possible.

Some people have swapped out their batteries or cells between different 24kWh batteries as well as "upgraded" from 24kWh to 30kWh batteries. I'm not sure anyone has done it with the 40kWh battery yet. But it's all possible. Just Nissan isn't making it easy to do so. And the aftermarket isn't very interested in doing this because there aren't that many Leafs out there and therefore not a lot of profit, if any, to be made.

It looks like the 40kwh modules are exactly the same size, shape and form factor as the 24kwh modules, just a little bit heavier.
There doesn't appear to be any reason why the 40kwh modules couldn't be put in an older battery case.

Oilpan4 said:
It looks like the 40kwh modules are exactly the same size, shape and form factor as the 24kwh modules, just a little bit heavier.
There doesn't appear to be any reason why the 40kwh modules couldn't be put in an older battery case.

Except, that it is a waste of time and money on a car that has poor resale value and a battery that has poor longevity.

Evoforce said:
Except, that it is a waste of time and money on a car that has poor resale value and a battery that has poor longevity.
So what is the resale value on a 2011 leaf with a 40kwh pack?
I was unaware this president has been established.....
Time and money are easy to quantify.

We would spend 10 Grand on it when the time was right. 30 to 40 KWH that is. We are getting a model 3 next year but may have a change of use for our Leaf around the same time. If it happens we would be candidates,,, but Nissan would NEVER do it.

no way in heck Nissan would sell you a battery pack when they could sell you a whole new car instead. Why do I know this? Just look at their support of the old leafs. history predicts the future.

^^^
+100

It’s even more unlikely given the 300 lb. weight increase (I’d guess some changes were made to safely accommodate this), e+ being 5 mm higher and also having 5 mm less ground clearance than the 40 kWh car.

aluminumwelder said:
no way in heck Nissan would sell you a battery pack when they could sell you a whole new car instead. Why do I know this? Just look at their support of the old leafs. history predicts the future.
Absolutely agree. Take the example of the nav head maps. When I bought my LEAF they were 5 years old then. First (for $179) upgrade came out a couple of years later, updating the maps to only 4 years old at the time. If map updates are this casual for Nissan, I extrapolate that to the rest of the car. New capacity batteries for old LEAFs? I don’t think so. I’d almost be happy if I could replace my battery with a new one of the same capacity for less than $8500 for a low value 7-year-old car. Almost. Well, maybe not.

And yes, I know maps and batteries have nothing necessarily to do with one another. Just another indicator for me.

Back