Leaf carpool cheater exits lane after passing cop

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I have read, the white sticker has expired but the red sticker is good through 2021 for single occupant HOV use by zero emission vehicles such as a Nissan Leaf.

In Virginia, there are "Clean special fuels" license plates available that have the same single occupant HOV use benefit.

BillHolz said:
From what I have read, the white sticker has expired but the red sticker is good through 2021 for single occupant HOV use by zero emission vehicles such as a Nissan Leaf.

In Virginia, there are "Clean special fuels" license plates available that have the same single occupant HOV use benefit.

You may have missed that white sticker owners are not eligible for new stickers. Small possibility she got the stickers late 2017 which are eligible, however California requires all four stickers to be placed in very specific locations. She only put one of each color. Definitely illegal.

License looks like it starts with “7Z” which would make this a 2017 issue plate. New BEVs licensed in 2017 that were issued white HOV stickers were eligible for Red HOV stickers as of 2018. Sticker placement is not as specified by the DMV, but if pulled over (unlikely) driver would need to produce the registration which shows the sticker number and the VIN of the vehicle it was issued to.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/decal

It appears to me that this is possibly a late 2017 car (or a leftover 2017 that was sold in early 2018) that is eligible for a new red sticker, but rather than remove the original white sticker, the owner opted to just slap the new red sticker on the car above the old white sticker.

As mentioned above, the only way to know for sure is to find the separate registration document for the stickers themselves.

Supersleeper said:
BillHolz said:

You may have missed that white sticker owners are not eligible for new stickers. Small possibility she got the stickers late 2017 which are eligible...

So you have declared fraud and cheating without any evidence.

With the number of people who I see on a daily basis driving ICE cars solo in the HOV lane, I would much rather see a leaf driver cheating the system and getting away with it. On my commute I count dozens of "cheaters" every day. between drivers who feel like they are entitled to be there and just go, or the sneaky ones who thinks its better to just use it as a passing lane every few minutes.

I think the CHP need to setup cameras on over-passes, change laws to be that "Carpool lane" means 2 people in the front seats (cause are you really using the lane for it's intended purpose if you are driving around with your kids in the backseat?), and then it would be easy to filter which license plates have HOV access exceptions. I am sure the revenue would be incredible. They do it with red light cameras... why not HOV lanes?

i agree ducky, the HOV lane is violated constantly. i have coworkers who justify their long commutes saying they will be less stressed when they get home if they drive in the HOV lane... its pretty silly as the chances of getting caught are almost nil, especially if you have tinted windows.

Yeah, it is almost impossible to catch if you have tinted glass. I know several friends that also tell me that it's less stressful to drive HOV lane

Back