I figured out why I love this car so much!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeekEV

I've had my LEAF almost two weeks now. Initially I thought that nothing could possibly live up to the hype and anticipation leading up to getting it, but I was wrong. I'm still very much in love with this car, and I think i figured out why. This is going to sound dumb, but this car represents the future - and it's here, now. I finally feel like I'm living in the future! :lol:

If it could fly, I'd agree!

GeekEV said:
I've had my LEAF almost two weeks now. Initially I thought that nothing could possibly live up to the hype and anticipation leading up to getting it, but I was wrong. I'm still very much in love with this car, and I think i figured out why. This is going to sound dumb, but this car represents the future - and it's here, now. I finally feel like I'm living in the future! :lol:

The Leaf does kinda highlight all the 'bad' parts of your standard ICE vehicle, doesn't it? Noise, exhaust, vibration, etc....once that all goes away, the Leaf really IS the future. And EV's will only get better from here, which makes even nicer!!

I guess LEAF owners are finding out firsthand some of the reasons why former EV1 drivers were so reluctant to part with their EVs. The LEAF will be the first new car I've ever purchased. I guess I could have purchased a Prius a few years ago, but I feel even moreso that the LEAF is revolutionary enough to warrent a new car purchase, even from me, after I swore I'd never purchase a new car...

tps said:
I guess LEAF owners are finding out firsthand some of the reasons why former EV1 drivers were so reluctant to part with their EVs. The LEAF will be the first new car I've ever purchased. I guess I could have purchased a Prius a few years ago, but I feel even moreso that the LEAF is revolutionary enough to warrent a new car purchase, even from me, after I swore I'd never purchase a new car...

+1

I love the LEAF for the narrative it helps build. And I like all the differences when compared to ICE cars that Jimmy mentioned. But I've got to be honest in that it's not the most exciting car I've driven. And the moderation in my driving I'm obliged to observe (in order to meet distance goals with the least amount of inconvenience) constrains the limited amount of fun I think I could have with it under different circumstances even further.

On a short commute like mine, where range isn't an issue, it's a VERY fun car to drive. It's no Ferrari, but easily the "zippiest" little car I've ever owned.

mwalsh said:
I love the LEAF for the narrative it helps build. And I like all the differences when compared to ICE cars that Jimmy mentioned. But I've got to be honest in that it's not the most exciting car I've driven. And the moderation in my driving I'm obliged to observe (in order to meet distance goals with the least amount of inconvenience) constrains the limited amount of fun I think I could have with it under different circumstances even further.

I agree, Mike, but IMHO, the excitement aspect will arrive sooner, rather than later.

If enough people turn up their nose at high gas prices and switch to EVs, yours won't be the only voice saying "We want exciting driving!" and when those voices reach critical mass, industry, R&D, and new products will take up that call. I believe the progression for EV's to become mainstream, FUN cars to drive will happen quicker than most people realize.

Funny thing is - from the moment I started driving, Leaf feels exactly like my old car - Maxima. I always listen to something while driving (and our roads here in NW is really bad because of the rains) - so don't even notce the lack of noise much.

Infact what I notice most are non-EV things I didn't have in my old car - BT, XM, Telematics etc.

But, it's early days yet ...

Let me be a little pessimistic here - so why exactly do you love it?

Cheap seats, Versa-reused plastic (check that ignition key filler, still there?), sub-par audio with no DVD, limited range, and a price of that 2009 Acura TSX with only 20k miles:

Gorgeous loaded 2009 Acura TSX sedan right here! Comes with Bose premium sound system, leather heated seats, power sunroof, side impact air bags, Traction Control, bluetooth system and more! It has already gotten a lot of attention, so don't wait! You also get the rest 3/36 bumper-to-bumper factory warranty PLUS our FREE 2/100 extended powertrain warranty! Drive it home today!

Things i could use in Leaf:
•Air Conditioning w/ Dual Zone Control
•Power Heated Mirrors
•Power Front Bucket Seats
•Tilt Steering Column
•Bose Premium Sound System
•Leather Upholstery
•Heated Front Seats
•Stability Control
•Trunk Mat
Sunroof
$23995

And oh by the way, that TSX is very quiet car.

GeekEV said:
On a short commute like mine, where range isn't an issue, it's a VERY fun car to drive. It's no Ferrari, but easily the "zippiest" little car I've ever owned.

That's what I'm expecting, too. I'm not going to try to do any distance driving and the LEAF will be for zipping around close to home, errands and fun driving. I know what mwalsh is talking about and the difference that it makes when you are driving for economy and when you're driving for fun.

I found with my BMW that the type of driving I did made a big difference in how fun the car seemed. If I was trying to get somewhere on the freeway, driving passengers around, or trying to get good gas mileage, the fun side of the car didn't show up. But if I was by myself, driving for the fun of it, especially on a fun road with some curves, the car was way more fun. I know that the LEAF is no BMW, but from what I've read here, it has good midrange torque and I'm expecting to enjoy it.

This video is what I'm talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_4fvEwXros

Boomer23 said:
If I was trying to get somewhere on the freeway, driving passengers around, or trying to get good gas mileage, the fun side of the car didn't show up. But if I was by myself, driving for the fun of it, especially on a fun road with some curves, the car was way more fun.

Well that's the other thing....the LEAF is VERY nippy when you're bopping around on your own. But then, when you want to show how nippy it is, and you start piling 200lb bodies inside, the performance becomes so much less with each one you add. I guess the answer is skinny (to the point of appearing ill) friends.

At our recent NorCal meetup, I had four normal sized adults in my LEAF and it was still had a good amount of get-up-and-go. Not as much, to be sure, but still enough for everyone to comment on it...

Stunt822 said:
Let me be a little pessimistic here - so why exactly do you love it?

Cheap seats, Versa-reused plastic (check that ignition key filler, still there?), sub-par audio with no DVD, limited range, and a price of that 2009 Acura TSX with only 20k miles:
And oh by the way, that TSX is very quiet car.

How is the feature of not using gas worth it for you - given
- Climate Change
- Peak Oil
- Blood for Oil deal we have in ME

ps : Seats are actually more expensive than other no-recycled fabric seats.

afraid to answer :roll:

I totally agree that oil conservation is a great federal initiative. Federal. And I wish it to be even greater, so there is economical sense for simple souls like me in buying new technology.
Now, i'm selecting a car here, not donating to Greenpeace to fight with global pollution, compared to which my driving in nothing. To that sense - every one of us can save more polar bears if they buy used Versa at $6k, and donate remaining $20k to the above organization. Right?

car is not forever too, did they tell you? :) it can total in a wreck, or what is even scarier - get old and outdated! :eek:

ps not everyone will go for EV also. From my work place, out of people I know outside of EV fan group - NO ONE plans or even considers buying EV. And motives are clear - if you need just a errand runner - you can get civic-versa-etc for just over $10k. If you need long distance runner - go for hybrid. And some prefer to have large capacity vehicle.

Stunt822 said:
Now, i'm selecting a car here, not donating to Greenpeace to fight with global pollution, compared to which my driving is nothing. To that sense - every one of us can save more polar bears if they buy used Versa at $6k, and donate remaining $20k to the above organization. Right?
Wrong. I think that your driving (and mine and everyone else) is what is:

--creating pollution of all kinds, including CO2
--supporting dictators in the Middle East that have a lot of oil for sale
--contributing to a huge balance of payments problem
--spending money on foreign oil that could be spent here (at least some of it)

Buying the Leaf is both practical (with rising gas prices and peak oil here or close) and helps start the transition off of oil. The Versa will always be dependent on gasoline, while the Leaf will become cleaner to drive over its lifetime if we continue the transition to renewables to generate electricity.

Stunt822 said:
car is not forever too, did they tell you? :) it can total in a wreck, or what is even scarier - get old and outdated! :eek:

ps not everyone will go for EV also. From my work place, out of people I know outside of EV fan group - NO ONE plans or even considers buying EV.....

Well that changed for me in last few days. With gas hitting almost $4, so many of my friends that thought electric car was just a cute idea to now they all want to know where they can get one too. Since Saturday, 4 of them signed-up with Nissan to get notified when reservations open again.

PLease tell me production cars do not have a plastic filler plug where the ignition key would be on an ICE, I saw that on a demo car but have not looked on a production car, that would be really pathetic for Nissan to do that.

Back