Web Owner's Portal - 10 minute time-out and workaround

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwalsh

Leaf Supporting Member
Let's be honest, the Owner's Portal is just s**t. Or at least the web based one is. I can't speak to how well the iPhone app works....maybe this frustration will be the final straw forcing me through the smart phone door, if it turns out that it works better.

But, anyway, back to the OP on the web....I am pretty much sick of the darn thing refusing to take more than one command. Whether it's car status reporting, or turning on or off the climate control, it will rarely respond more without me logging all the way back out and logging in again. Not a massive problem when compared to, oh I don't know, reversing climate change, but it still manages to tick me off every time I have to do it. :?

I hardly ever go in there. I've still never received a charging update email and I've gone in there several times to check the boxes, and then close it and then go back in. I didn't get an email when I forgot the other day to plug in at night. And honestly, the iPhone app isn't that great either. I rarely use it. The only times I use it is to reset the climate control time and half the time, it hasn't worked.

Perhaps the iPhone App logs in with each communication, for some presumed security, so the web interface accidently has the "same" short timeout?

Do all web-app users have this same problem?

Sounds like a lot more software work is needed, so we should report these annoying "features" to Nissan's CS (877-664-2738).

i havent had any of those issues at least up to today. i am currently unable to refresh status which kinda sucks. dont want 100% charge but want to be as full as possible like 95% now this will force me to go all the way out to the garage to check it

I'd love to tell you how well the Android app works but ... there still isn't one!

mwalsh said:
Let's be honest, the Owner's Portal is just s**t. Or at least the web based one is. I can't speak to how well the iPhone app works....maybe this frustration will be the final straw forcing me through the smart phone door, if it turns out that it works better.

I can do multiple (sequential) commands without log-out/log-back-in, but only within a certain timeout period. If I exceed that period ... no dice. I don't know what the time-out period is.

I pretty much alsways get the "Status Updated" emails, as well as all the other ones (Climate related (several), Charging Complete, etc), except during that brief problem period in the middle of February when I did not get "Charging Stopped". The "Charging Started" is still not yet implemented.

Last night I got the "Charging Complete" TWICE ... no idea why (at 12:20AM and at 02:40AM). In both cases it said "MyLeaf is now charged to 12 of 12 bars.".

LEAFer said:
I can do multiple (sequential) commands without log-out/log-back-in, but only within a certain timeout period. If I exceed that period ... no dice. I don't know what the time-out period is.

Then I guess that's my project for the day....to try and figure out what the time-out is. I can tell you this much from this morning....it's certainly less than 40 minutes.

LEAFer said:
Yes, definitely less than 40mins. If you force me to guess ... 10 or 15 mins.
Sometimes with poorly designed web sites with unusably short timeouts you can work around the problem by creating an HTML document that loads the desired page in a frame with a meta refresh equal to how often you want the page to reload. This can make the web site see your continuing (fake) activity and keep your session alive so that you don't have to log in again every time you want to do something. Then instead of loading the owners portal page directly you can load your local file which loads the owners portal.

E.g. below, with no copyright and NO warranty:
Code:
<html>
<head>
    <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="600"> 
    <frameset rows="*">
        <frame src="http://URLOFOWNERSPORTAL" />
    </frameset>
</head>
<body>
</body>
</html>

Change the 600 (seconds) above if you want more or less than 10 minutes refresh interval. Change URLOFOWNERSPORTAL to the appropriate value.

Thanks walterbays, I set it to 5min and thus far it works fine.

One major issue with the owners portal is that it's hopelessly underpowered. The very short timeouts are likely more to do with lack of CPU cycles rather than a security concern. There are <150 registered CARWINGS users presently and response times are in the ~1 minute range. I'll bet you a Blue Center Console Trim Appliqué that the CARWINGS website app won't scale to another 50 users. The "Route Planner" app is also always very very slow and will often timeout on you during your session.

Carwings just opened for me today, but I have a question for those who have had their vehicles for a while. Is there an easier way (i.e. direct link) to carwings? Do I have to login to my dashboard everytime? That flash animation on the leaf homepage drives me bonkers!

good question, dont know of one and would be nice to skip the owners portal especially if i dont need to check status.

another poster noticed that you cant do a refresh. that in many cases you have to log out and log back in before refresh works.

i use Google Chrome, so who knows? right now i cant refresh no matter what i do

A 10 to 15 minute time out on an inactive session is pretty standard and is considered "best practice" in the server/networking world, both from a security and a systems resources perspective.

As far as the little program to keep the session active forever:

Nice comment: Network and system resources are finite - Why don't you let someone who has something to DO get bite of the apple?

Not so nice comment: This sort of program is easily detected by both the server and the network routers. In my past life, this would have resulted in the user account being de-activated.

charlie1300 said:
A 10 to 15 minute time out on an inactive session is pretty standard and is considered "best practice" in the server/networking world, both from a security and a systems resources perspective.

As far as the little program to keep the session active forever......

I'm not going to use it all the time, but it sure is a pain in the arse when you want to turn your heater on and then off and it requires a login each time. :?

syntaxerror said:
Carwings just opened for me today, but I have a question for those who have had their vehicles for a while. Is there an easier way (i.e. direct link) to carwings? Do I have to login to my dashboard everytime? That flash animation on the leaf homepage drives me bonkers!

If you try to access it directly, you get a login screen that does not take your owners portal credentials. So it seems you have to log into the portal, then the session info is passed to the carwings.

Back