How's your PG&E bill after your Leaf purchase?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zhengst

I can't find related discussion but I think it's important issue, especially if you plan to install a PV system (in order to decide on the size of the system).

So can any one post their extra electricity usage after the car delivery for roughly how many miles driven, preferably for those in California? Which rate plan is used if there's options?

Many thanks!

I think you can count on consuming about 0.3-0.4 kwH per mile driven from your 120V or 240V wall socket (this includes charging efficiency of about 0.85). It depends entirely on how fast you usually drive, and if you need to use the heater or AC a lot.

There are many pages of PG&E rate discussion including solar and time-of-use (TOU) rates here:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=661

In my first full month of ownership, my electric use went up approximately 250 kwh compared to last year. It's all in the lowest tier, so my cost was just under $30. For this, I drove a little more than 1,000 miles in the LEAF.

zhengst said:
I can't find related discussion but I think it's important issue, especially if you plan to install a PV system (in order to decide on the size of the system).

So can any one post their extra electricity usage after the car delivery for roughly how many miles driven, preferably for those in California? Which rate plan is used if there's options?

Many thanks!
Well, I think about it this way. I'll be driving roughly 50 miles per day, given that the battery pack is 24 KWh in size I think I'll be using about 16 KWh per day (assuming a pack range of 75 miles). Assuming a 90% charging efficiency, that means I'll be drawing about 17.6 KWh at a maximum rate of 1.44 KW for 120 volt charging or 3.84 KW for 240 volt charging. Hopefully this helps answer your question...

Living here in Portland, I'll be paying $0.08973 per KWh for off-peak, 100% renewable electricity, so my daily cost will be $1.58 per day, or $0.0316 per mile.

Randy3 said:
In my first full month of ownership, my electric use went up approximately 250 kwh compared to last year. It's all in the lowest tier, so my cost was just under $30. For this, I drove a little more than 1,000 miles in the LEAF.

This is almost exactly what we saw after the final Feb numbers came in Weds. We drove 942.5 miles in Feb, used 248 kWh of power and it cost us $31.11! And I drive any way I want. Fast, slow, heater, AC, radio, 75 on the freeway, etc. Gasoline is sooo last year :!: :ugeek:

Randy3 said:
Nice, so about 4 mi / kWh wall to wheels. What's your driving like?

TRONZ said:
This is almost exactly what we saw after the final Feb numbers came in Weds. We drove 942.5 miles in Feb, used 248 kWh of power and it cost us $31.11! And I drive any way I want. Fast, slow, heater, AC, radio, 75 on the freeway, etc. Gasoline is sooo last year :!: :ugeek:
What did you use to measure the input power to your EVSE?

DeaneG said:
TRONZ said:

We don't have an EVSE. Getting by on L1 just fine. All our data was just taken from CarWings for Feb. Our LEAF reported using 248kWH of power at $.125/kWH. Carwings is very TMI. I have a feeling some of the Elec Engineering types are in total data heaven. I really like that we prevented 600lbs of CO2 last month.

It just occured to me that the #1 driver in Japan is showing 8.3miles/kWH on CarWings. Isnt that like getting almost 200 miles from the battery???

drees said:
Randy3 said:
Nice, so about 4 mi / kWh wall to wheels. What's your driving like?

Mostly slow and in a flat area. That may change since I'm not doing very well in the Carwings contests :(

TRONZ said:
DeaneG said:

We don't have an EVSE. Getting by on L1 just fine. All our data was just taken from CarWings for Feb.
When we talk about power costs, we have to use AC kWh from the wall. This will be a fair bit higher than what Carwings tells you due to charging equipment losses and battery losses.

BTW the box you plugged into 120V is called an EVSE, same as for L2.

TRONZ said:
Randy3 said:

And still less than half of what it would have cost me in the Prius, i.e., about $65 to go the same distance at last month's prices (PS: I saw 87 octane gas at $3.99/gal here in San Jose today!)

Hello,
Those few Japanese drivers at 8.3 miles/kW must either drive to work downhill or be drafting a semi at 35 mph or are actually doing laps on the Nissan test track to see who can get the best efficiency. I thought about jacking up the front wheels and running up a 30 mile trip that no one can touch. :lol:

My SDG&E bill came today.

I cannot find the paper with the EXACT mileage start, but until I do, my educated guess is the following:

1743 miles driven since previous bill.
Electric bill was $59.99
(19kWh on peak, 154kWh off-peak, 361kWh super off-peak)

This translates to $.034/mile or 3.26mi/kWh wall-to-wheel.

I'll try to find the exact starting mileage....so these numbers might shift just a bit.

For comparison:

1743 miles in Ford Escape Hybrid @ 31.5mpg = 4.3575 tanks of gas. At $3.25/gal, this car would have cost $184.10 in gas to go the same distance.
1743 miles in BMW 330 @ 20mpg = 5.44 tanks of premium gas. At $3.50/gal, this car would cost $304.64 in gas to go the same distance.

Winning.

Hey Jimmy, your gas prices are ridiculously low for CA. ;) $3.85-$3.95 for regular and $4.11-$4.19 for premium seen on the way to work today. My Leaf can't get here fast enough!

drees said:
Hey Jimmy, your gas prices are ridiculously low for CA. ;) $3.85-$3.95 for regular and $4.11-$4.19 for premium seen on the way to work today. My Leaf can't get here fast enough!

No, the gas prices are much higher here...but since I haven't bought gas in a while, I was using older prices..... ;)

planet4ever said:
Jimmydreams said:
This translates to $.034/mile or 3.26kWh/mi wall-to-wheel.
Umm ... didn't you mean to say 3.26 mi/kWh?

Ray

Fixed. Thanks! :oops:

Back