rogersleaf
Posts: 249
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 7:50 pm
Delivery Date: 22 Mar 2019
Leaf Number: 307726
Location: Kent, Ohio

Re: Charge to less than 100%

Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:23 pm

Jerryr wrote:
coupedncal wrote:I have a 2017 SV and I certainly do not have the option to stop charging at less than 100% from the car. I have the option to remotely shut down charging on my smart charger but I miss not having this feature built into my car. Most other cars like Tesla and VW offer this capability.

I am looking to lease another car as my current lease runs out soon. Question is has that option now added to the new 2019 model Leafs? I really hope that is the case otherwise I will strongly look at other brands to replace my Leaf.


Nope. Still can’t set anything less than 100%.

However, there are ways to set the built-in charge timer so that an incomplete charge is achieved. In my case, the goal is @ 80% which is achieved by setting the timer to complete roughly 3 hours after my planned departure time.
2014 SV - Brilliant Silver - returned 1/2017 at end of lease.
2019 SL - White - w/Tech Package

coupedncal
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:11 pm
Delivery Date: 06 Aug 2017
Leaf Number: 309668

Re: Charge to less than 100%

Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:02 am

[/quote]
However, there are ways to set the built-in charge timer so that an incomplete charge is achieved. In my case, the goal is @ 80% which is achieved by setting the timer to complete roughly 3 hours after my planned departure time.[/quote]

This is really a brilliant workaround. Bravo for thinking though this.
'17 30kWh Leaf

SageBrush
Posts: 4093
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: Colorado

Re: Charge to less than 100%

Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:18 am

coupedncal wrote:This is really a brilliant workaround. Bravo for thinking though this.

This is the advice I also give but I suggest setting the timer ~ 90 minutes later than departure. The timing varies by the charge rate.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

jjeff
Posts: 1859
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:10 am
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121
Location: MSP MN

Re: Charge to less than 100%

Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:52 am

SageBrush wrote:
coupedncal wrote:This is really a brilliant workaround. Bravo for thinking though this.

....The timing varies by the charge rate.

and also the SOC % the battery is starting at and what SOC% you'd like to stop at. IOW it's kind of a crap shoot but if you do the same thing regularly it should be quite easy to come up with a routine and you should be able to get quite close to the SOC % you want. Oh temperatures also can affect charge rate, well below 0 temps anyway and also if you preheat your car, temperatures can have a pretty big effect on preheating, in my area preheating can use up about 4kwh just for the preheat function, leaving just 1.6kwh for charging the battery if you have a Leaf with the upgraded charger and a 6.6kwh EVSE, anything less than 4kwh and you'll actually lose charge while preheating :(
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

rogersleaf
Posts: 249
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 7:50 pm
Delivery Date: 22 Mar 2019
Leaf Number: 307726
Location: Kent, Ohio

Re: Charge to less than 100%

Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:14 am

jjeff wrote:
SageBrush wrote:
coupedncal wrote:This is really a brilliant workaround. Bravo for thinking though this.

....The timing varies by the charge rate.

and also the SOC % the battery is starting at and what SOC% you'd like to stop at. IOW it's kind of a crap shoot but if you do the same thing regularly it should be quite easy to come up with a routine and you should be able to get quite close to the SOC % you want. Oh temperatures also can affect charge rate, well below 0 temps anyway and also if you preheat your car, temperatures can have a pretty big effect on preheating, in my area preheating can use up about 4kwh just for the preheat function, leaving just 1.6kwh for charging the battery if you have a Leaf with the upgraded charger and a 6.6kwh EVSE, anything less than 4kwh and you'll actually lose charge while preheating :(

I also set the climate control timer to match my departure time. The timers work independently. I’m using a Clipper Creek HCS40 L2 so at full 6.6KW. Haven’t found the exact % charge where power begins steeping down, however they seem to work ok together for enough power for a reliable charge level @ 80-85%.
2014 SV - Brilliant Silver - returned 1/2017 at end of lease.
2019 SL - White - w/Tech Package

SageBrush
Posts: 4093
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: Colorado

Re: Charge to less than 100%

Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:44 am

jjeff wrote:
SageBrush wrote:
coupedncal wrote:This is really a brilliant workaround. Bravo for thinking though this.

....The timing varies by the charge rate.

and also the SOC % the battery is starting at and what SOC% you'd like to stop at.(

Not in this case since the taper and balancing happen in the SoC range that is being avoided
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

martyscholes
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:40 pm
Delivery Date: 12 Dec 2018
Leaf Number: 303385
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Do the New Leafs Have Charge Limit Settings?

Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:29 am

From what I have read, battery degradation is a function of how long it sits fully charged. Based on that, I also use a charge timer, but need the full charge for my 3x / week commute. It sits at 100% maybe an hour or two, then I drain it on the way to work. When I am not driving to work, I pull the plug several hours early (when I leave for my morning jog), so that it never gets to 100%.

But then again, it would be better to let the software handle this, if that feature was available.

danrjones
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:02 am
Delivery Date: 17 Jun 2019
Location: Ridgecrest, CA

Re: Do the New Leafs Have Charge Limit Settings?

Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:59 am

I've found that on my 2018 SV, a 2 hour charge gives me ~ 32% when plugged into a Lvl 2. On Lvl 1 I was getting about 25% in 8 hours.

So right now I have my charge timer set every night from 3 am to 5am, 2 hours, and then whenever I get down to around 50% I plug it in that night and get back up to around 82%. But I'm only burning through about 8 to 10% per day. 600 miles last month.
2018 Leaf SV Pearl White with Tech and All Weather, Purchased New on 5/3/19

Triggerhappy007
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:08 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Jan 2019

Re: Do the New Leafs Have Charge Limit Settings?

Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:30 am

I use the charge timer for charging in the middle of the night. I have the Level 2 Nissan EVSE. It charges at about 17% per hour. Let's say I have 25% battery left and I want it to charge to 80%. 80% - 25% = 55%. 55%/17% = 3.23 hours. So I set my timer to start at 2:00AM and end at 5:10AM. I like to round down rather than up so it won't go over 80%.
2019 Leaf SL ProPilot
2018 Pacifica Hybrid

lorenfb
Posts: 2193
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:53 pm
Delivery Date: 22 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 416635
Location: SoCal

Re: Do the New Leafs Have Charge Limit Settings?

Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:28 am

Triggerhappy007 wrote:I use the charge timer for charging in the middle of the night. I have the Level 2 Nissan EVSE. It charges at about 17% per hour. Let's say I have 25% battery left and I want it to charge to 80%. 80% - 25% = 55%. 55%/17% = 3.23 hours. So I set my timer to start at 2:00AM and end at 5:10AM. I like to round down rather than up so it won't go over 80%.


Yes, it's that simple!
#1 Leaf SL MY 9/13: 74K miles, 48 Ahrs, 5.2 miles/kWh (average), Hx=70, SOH=78, L2 - 100% > 1000, temp < 95F (35C), min discharge (DOD) > 20 Ahrs
#2 Leaf SL MY 12/18: 115 Ahrs, 5.5 miles/kWh (average), Hx=98, SOH=99, DOD > 25%, temp < 105F

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”