My LEAF suffering "death of 1000 cuts" at the hands of wife!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwalsh

Leaf Supporting Member
My wife could never be accused of being the most careful person. She's hard on both the stuff we own communally, despite me begging for her to be otherwise, and on her own stuff. A good example is her clothes, which she has to replace often because she's continually trashing them in one way or another. Where I can make a t-shirt go like 6 or 7 years without getting all stained up and torn. Fortunately she's mostly happy with Target/WalMart/K-Mart fashions, so the hit is never usually that hard. :D

However, she seems to be on some type of hyper-carelessness trip when it comes to my LEAF. It's true! The last two days she has.....

a) dragged her purse down the drivers side of the car. A purse where, I kid you not, metal zippers are the primary source of exterior decoration*:

734149_fpx.tif

b) whacked the drivers door with a crescent wrench*.

And that's just the stuff I've been there to see.

*did not result in any actual damage

And it's not like there wasn't plenty of room to get by....the only reason for getting close to my car in either instance should have been extraordinarily bad spacial awareness. Either that or maybe it's some kind of repressed hostility. I'm actually having second thoughts as to who could have been responsible for my cracked tail lamp!

Of course, when I've expressed alarm for such actions with a slightly elevated voice level, and with a couple of choice British phrases of displeasure thrown in for good measure, I'm automatically the bad guy (currently getting the silent treatment)! :?

It sounds like your wife is good for you. After all, life on this Earth is too short to get overly hung up on a few dings and scratches. No matter how good a job you do taking care of your LEAF, it is not going to last forever. Enjoy your wife, accept that she probably isn't going to change much, remind her that she is more important to you than a car, and learn to laugh when she gets clumsy! :)

Hi Mike, I agree with abasile. I don't cook, wash clothes, clean house, and often neglect the lawn and weeks. My wife takes care of those chores, so I am grateful for what I have. Besides, I ding my car more than she does, and also get more traffic citations. A car can be repaired, but sometimes a marriage cannot.

this sounds like a parody post. No one would criticize his wife for these sorts of things and expect to be married in 5 years.
she shops for clothes at kmart, and you have issues with that?

this MUST be a parody.

You have been married to her for 30 years! She must have trained you by now...
A designer purse is very important, but a wife who knows how to use a crescent wrench is a rare jewel indeed. :lol:

OK, mwalsh, I can explain exactly whats going on, since I'm a typical Indian (laid back, informal, don't take life too seriously) married to a German (need I say more), and derive similar benefits from my spouse.

What she's doing is all part of her therapy routine for your anal retentiveness - after the first few dings, you'll be much more relaxed about the car, which is better for your blood pressure etc...

Remember raising your voice only makes it worse - take a few deep breaths, count to ten slowly, and tell her how cool it is that her purse has more metal than your Leaf!
;) :lol:

Oh this thread is so interesting. my wife has very little awareness and does not care much while I am very particular about my things and the Leaf would be on the top of the list... I know things are going to "happen", I just hope I will be able to take it "when it happens"

csriram45 said:
Oh this thread is so interesting. my wife has very little awareness and does not care much while I am very particular about my things and the Leaf would be on the top of the list... I know things are going to "happen", I just hope I will be able to take it "when it happens"

At last, a kindred soul who can truly understand my "pain". :D ;)

BTW, things are a little less "frosty" on the home-front tonight. Partially, I suppose, because I did laundry and vacuumed the house instead of working on the MG again today. :lol:

I can understand as well, as I like to keep things "like new" as much as possible and my wife isn't as worried about that sort of stuff. Although the new rug may have pushed her to the dark side... Personally, I am sure that it is the MG at the root of all conflict.

Jay
Triumph owner :p

mwalsh said:
csriram45 said:

At last, a kindred soul who can truly understand my "pain". :D ;)

BTW, things are a little less "frosty" on the home-front tonight. Partially, I suppose, because I did laundry and vacuumed the house instead of working on the MG again today. :lol:

I feel your pain. My wife has been known to have accidents with my stuff. For some reason it seems to usually happen when she's mad at me... humm. Go figure. Anyways, she loves the LEAF as much as I do so I think it's safe. I've also noticed it helps if you show alot of love/respect/interest in whatever her latest gadget of thingy from the store is... and then ask if she got coverage for "accidental" damage. ;)

I used to be anal-retentive about my stuff, but my husband broke me down. Now, I just sort of go with the flow. He has practically trashed our xB, and is now working on our smart by continually spilling coffee all over the place. I bought him those coffee containers that only open when you push a button, but he still manages to spill the stuff everywhere. We've never leased, so I'm pretty worried about that days he'll be driving the LEAF. Between him and the 13 month old, I think I'll have to invest in Scotch Guard.

try having a 4 year old running around. my SO was the primary driver of the 2006 Prius that we are selling. i had to have it detailed because it was uncleanable.

she had food containers from 2009 in there. she whines about not having any clothes, but i found enough clothes in the car to fill a walk in closet.

i also found 2 cellphone chargers...ones she said she lost at work, her credit card, drivers license and insurance card. all of which were replaced with great inconvenience.

she is now driving my 2010 Prius...and yes, i am VERY afraid

Back