How to plugin without charging or setting timer?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twolf2919

As soon as I plug my Leaf Plus in, it begins charging. The owners manual mentions that if the Leaf is plugged in, running the AC will not use the battery. We have plenty of chargers where I work, so I was thinking of always plugging in - whether I need a charge or not - just so the battery won't be drained by my remote AC starts.

The main reason I'm wondering this is that I keep reading that it's not good for the Nissan battery to always keep it topped off. If that is a myth, then I suppose I don' t care whether the charging starts immediately.

Thanks for any info.

First, the A/C does always use the battery - it's just that most level 2 208-240 volt charging stations will keep up with the loss. Second, the drain for 15 minutes of A/C is modest, especially for a Plus. Finally, it is indeed bad for the battery to keep topping it off to 100% charge. Don't do that.

The car can't do as you suggest, but there are a couple of ways to skin this cat. One way is to set the timer to start charging shortly before you leave so that any charge lost is replaced. The second is to set the timer for later, then override it from the app at the same time you start your remote AC session, once again presumably just before you leave.

I'm taking you at your word that plugging in all day isn't going to inconvenience anyone else.

If you are full enough to not charge.... the remote climate will not drain that many miles. No need to plug in.
If you are marginal or need the miles just plug in and use the remote climate as needed.
Best to arrive at work low and just charge.

twolf2919 said:
As soon as I plug my Leaf Plus in, it begins charging. The owners manual mentions that if the Leaf is plugged in, running the AC will not use the battery. We have plenty of chargers where I work, so I was thinking of always plugging in - whether I need a charge or not - just so the battery won't be drained by my remote AC starts.

The main reason I'm wondering this is that I keep reading that it's not good for the Nissan battery to always keep it topped off. If that is a myth, then I suppose I don' t care whether the charging starts immediately.

Thanks for any info.

As long as your timer hours are outside of your work hours, the car won't start charging when you plug it in. There are 2 timers available. My understanding is that activating the remote AC causes the main battery contactors to close, and if you're plugged in to an EVSE then you will draw power from it at that time if possible (regardless of timer setting).

AFAIK the car won't draw directly from the EVSE - that has never been the case and I don't THINK it's the case with new Leafs. As for starting charging right before leaving, that's charging at a high state of charge and still not good for the battery. The only question is "just how bad IS it"? Do you really need every mile of range? If so I suggest you start the A/C 5 minutes before leaving. That will suffice.

^^ I agree. The AC typically doesn't draw much more than 1.5kW when the car is not moving. Even if you use the entire 15-minute battery-powered precool, that only amounts to slightly more than 1 mile of range expended. Plus, you've reduced the amount of work the AC will have to do once you do get in the car so it's basically a wash compared to skipping precooling altogether. So unless a mile or two is going to make or break your ride I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks everyone for all th suggestions. I will either just use the AC without plug or use the timer set to outside work hours.

Back