Manually releasing electronic parking break in trunk

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Electryic

Has anyone ever had to do this or can point me to a video of someone doing it with the 2012 Leaf? Hoping to get some reference, it seems easy enough following the instructions in the manual, but I turned it many, many times while it was pressed in and I heard it releasing in parts 3 times (turned like 20+ times and I could have kept turning it). Wondering if anyone has had to do this and how many times you had to turn it (its extremely strenuous keeping it pushed in properly and turning at the same time). Also wondering if anyone knows when the manual says "if you do this you must take it in for Service", if this is a code that can simply be reset or if there is actually some mechanical aspect that actually does have to be serviced (most of us know many many things say you have to take it in but in reality turn out to be a code that can be reset.. wondering if this is the case with the parking brake)

Also as a side note wondering if anyone has simply opted not to deal with it and gone without using the parking brake and how one goes about doing that (if you never really need it anyway), as from my research so far, some of the prices I am seeing for repairing the parking break outweigh the cost of the vehicle.

Thanks

The manual instructs the technician to first perform “EHS/PKB self diagnosis". Code is ignored and erased afterwards. So it seems to be more than just resetting the code. Not sure what the self-diagnosis does but I'd speculate that it may return the unit to some predetermined starting point so that the brake control module has an accurate indication of the state of the parking brake.

Not sure what the self-diagnosis does but I'd speculate that it may return the unit to some predetermined starting point so that the brake control module has an accurate indication of the state of the parking brake.

I agree, given the description of what is happening without that step.

Thanks for the responses, at this point hoping someone may have done this (i.e. used the tool in the trunk to manually release the parking brake) and they can chime in here about how many times they had to crank it and if once its released it stays released.

Back