Strategies for getting an outlet installed at work

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeaneG

Thought I'd start a thread to discus strategies for getting the boss to install a charging outlet at your workplace.

Here's what worked for me:

1) I asked if there was an outside outlet available for plugging in my new car occasionally. Facilities guy said "no, but it would be nice to have one outside for power tools, etc." So this worked well for both of us. Only 120V/20A, but way better than nothing.

2) A bit later, I asked if the new outlet could be put somewhere where I could be sure of being able to plug in when I needed to. They said they'd put up an "EV parking only" sign by the outlet. I separated this request from the first to avoid the appearance of asking for a dedicated parking space, since no one else in the company has one.

I think my initial request worked because it was also useful for the company, not just spending money to directly benefit one person.

DeaneG said:
Thought I'd start a thread to discuss strategies for getting the boss to install a charging outlet at your workplace.
Excellent timing, Deane.

We're also trying to get an employer (a Community College) to accommodate an EV user or two and need respond to some of their concerns. I'd like to ask current drivers who regularly charge at work to chime in with whats working for them:

• How close to an outlet must one park to use the LEAF's included 120v EVSE?
• How many spots are available, and how many vehicles want to use them?
• What signage has your employer posted?
• What kind of cord management do you use to insure pedestrian safety?
• Do you have any concerns about theft or vandalism regarding your EVSE and open charger port door?
• Is the system available to non-employees?
• Have you discussed paying for electricity usage?

Anything else you can share would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Glenn

we are working on a project to put in L2 chargers.
none of the precise issues you identified came up, but there were some issues about EVSE at handicapped spots, length of parking in charger available spots and putting the dual and quad chargers in a position that allows the cords to reach more 4 and 8 respectively cars parked in adjacent places.
also, we will ask folks to ID the power system for their cars from here on out -- ice, bev, phev, etc.
then we will know the demand.
we are also discussing a policy so folks can rely charging being available on site when they make a car purchase decision.

Glenn said:
How close to an outlet must one park to use the LEAF's included 120v EVSE?

The 120v tail on the EVSE is quite short, but can be extended with standard extension cords (it's only 12A remember). Although I've never measured it, the J1172 cable is at least 15' in length.

Glenn said:
What kind of cord management do you use to insure pedestrian safety?

I'm going to park as close as possible to the outlet and cone-off as necessary.

Glenn said:
Do you have any concerns about theft or vandalism regarding your EVSE and open charger port door?

Some, but mostly when it comes to public parking. I'm going to pass a lock around the EVSE cable and the latch on the charge port door to prevent theft, as suggested by EVDRIVER. In addition, I'll lower the charge port door so that it being open is less conspicuous.

mwalsh said:
I'm going to pass a lock around the EVSE cable and the latch on the charge port door to prevent theft, as suggested by EVDRIVER.
Will that be more effective than using a padlock in the hole provided on the J1772 connector? That prevents it from being disconnected from the car, doesn't it?

Ray

If a weather proof box could be provided with the 120v outlet, that would be handy. Lockable and large enough to hold a L1 EVSE. A slot at the bottom of the door for the cord.

planet4ever said:
mwalsh said:
I'm going to pass a lock around the EVSE cable and the latch on the charge port door to prevent theft, as suggested by EVDRIVER.
Will that be more effective than using a padlock in the hole provided on the J1772 connector? That prevents it from being disconnected from the car, doesn't it?
I think using the lock in the J1772 plug will be more effective, especially since a vandal might only break the plug and receptacle, rather than the whole charge port door.

smkettner said:
Is a dedicated spot really required? A cord may well reach 4 to 8 spaces so why have a reserved space issue?
At my working place, parking spots near the building (where the outlet must be) are in demand and are nearly always full before the sun comes up.

Don't put the outlets near the parking spots closest to the building/destination. People are lazy; close-in parking spots fill up fast, mostly with cars that don't need recharging. If you put parking spots with EVSEs or outlets far from the building, they may actually still be open when the EVs show up. Folks don't like to see cars or owners getting special privileges. Same with covered parking spots in hot parts of the country. People want to park in the shade. Shaded EV parking spots will always be full of gas powered vehicles. No use fighting it. Take advantage of it to keep EV spots open.

-Karl

The light poles in the parking lot at work have screw on covers at about waist level--inside there are wires tied together with wire nuts. Not sure if it's 120 or 240 so I'll have to take a VOM to it and measure. I will offer to pay the cost of having an electrician install a covered outlet since my company currently isn't doing many employee perks. The outlet would be 7' away from the LEAF. Check out light poles for similar capability?

gascant said:
The light poles in the parking lot at work have screw on covers at about waist level--inside there are wires tied together with wire nuts. Not sure if it's 120 or 240 so I'll have to take a VOM to it and measure. I will offer to pay the cost of having an electrician install a covered outlet (since my company currently isn't doing many employee perks. The outlet would be 5' away from the LEAF. Check out light poles for similar capability?
Be sure to check those wires during daylight hours! If the lighting isn't photoelectrically controlled, it may be switched back up the line somewhere. :)

Glenn

FYI: I think the cord on the EVSE is 22 feet.

If you can, also ask for an L6-20 outlet, that way you can plug an upgraded EVSE in also, and charge twice as fast. (doesn't add much more expense)

-Phil

Ingineer said:
FYI: I think the cord on the EVSE is 22 feet.

If you can, also ask for an L6-20 outlet, that way you can plug an upgraded EVSE in also, and charge twice as fast. (doesn't add much more expense)

-Phil
Good point on the L6, Phil. Thanks for the heads up on the length of the EVSE; does your modified one come in about the same?

And, btw, kudos for all the work you've done!

Glenn

Thanks Glenn!

We don't change the length of anything; it's still 22' plus a 1' power cord. All that's externally different is the power plug, which we change to a L6-20P:

pic

Glenn said:
Be sure to check those wires during daylight hours! If the lighting isn't photoelectrically controlled, it may be switched back up the line somewhere. :)
Glenn
Yes, that thought occurred to me since it hit or miss as to when the light is actually on so my suspicion is that it may be controlled back near the breaker. We'll know very soon I'm sure :twisted:

Back