Thinking of keeping your Prius as a second car? DON'T!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeekEV

I know this has been covered in other threads, but I wanted to approach this in a different way... My wife and I both had hybrids; I had a Prius and she had a Civic Hybrid. The Prius made Civic Hybrid seem rude and crude. So when I got my LEAF, we decided to ditch the HCH and give her the Prius. That was a mistake. Don't do it.

The LEAF has done to the Prius what the Prius did to the HCH!!! Every time I have to drive the Prius now it never ceases to amaze me how crude it is. It feels sluggish and heavy, like driving in molasses. Though I suspect it would do that to any ICE car... I sure hope electric cars are here to stay this time - there's no way I can go back.

So, my recommendation, again, is don't do it. Get two LEAFs instead! :lol:

Agreed, our ICE is a 08 VW EOS 2.0T with DSG which is a very fun car to drive top up or down but seems very mechanical now. My wife now asks when is the first EV convertable going to be out she has had a cab in one form or another for the last 10 years.

Maybe I just appreciate beautifully engineered machinery more than some but even after nearly a month of the Leaf, when I get back in to the 335, it still brings a smile to my face...

GeekEV said:
The LEAF has done to the Prius what the Prius did to the HCH!!! Every time I have to drive the Prius now it never ceases to amaze me how crude it is. It feels sluggish and heavy, like driving in molasses. Though I suspect it would do that to any ICE car... I sure hope electric cars are here to stay this time - there's no way I can go back.

mogur said:
Maybe I just appreciate beautifully engineered machinery more than some but even after nearly a month of the Leaf, when I get back in to the 335, it still brings a smile to my face...

Precisely! :)

And current BMW leases @ 0.9% or 1.9% apr makes owning the 335 comparable around $450-ish lease per month vs the Nissan's high aprs leases. :-(

mogur said:

I wonder if that will wane at all? I'm keeping my ICE hot rod for now, but I'm not so sure how it will turn out long term - have to remember to keep the battery topped off, run enough fuel through it to keep the tank fresh, etc.

I will not sell my truck no matter if it drives like a bucket of bolts.
The Old Man truck still has work to do even if semi retired by the young Leaf.

I agree completely, GeekEV!

I've been having that same problem since buying the electric motorcycle - I didn't realize how much vibration, smell, and hassle were automatically and unconsciously part of the ICE experience until experiencing The True Way. :D

Cleaning the garage last weekend, I found my tachometer and timing light in the box under the work bench. I really used to enjoy rebuilding 4-barrel carburetors, and the satisfaction of tweaking idle speed, mixture, and sometimes multiple carbs in the pursuit of a smoothly running engine. But for some reason I don't miss any of it.

When the Leaf arrives the ICE goes away for good.

Maybe it's time to let go of the timing light, too... :lol:

Many of our drives exceed the current range of the LEAF. Perhaps in 5-10 years there will be a LEAF with a 200+ mile range, and much more DC fast charging infrastructure. Then selling our Prius might become feasible. A Tesla Model S with the 300 mile range option would certainly fill that role sooner, if we were prepared to pay $70K.

derekjsmith said:
Agreed, our ICE is a 08 VW EOS 2.0T with DSG which is a very fun car to drive top up or down but seems very mechanical now. My wife now asks when is the first EV convertable going to be out she has had a cab in one form or another for the last 10 years.

I feel the same way - if I could find someone to convert my BMW 330CI Convertible to electric I would do it in a heartbeat!

GeekEV said:
Next year we will get a PHEV like Ford Energi instead. That would complement Leaf and all but our long drives would be electric.

I think the Prius, for now, is an excellent car to keep as a second, long-distance car.

If there is another that would get 100 mpg, that might be better, but I already own this 50 mpg Prius.

A good network of QC stations is still needed for the EV to become more fully a "main-stream" ICE replacement.

My comments were somewhat tongue in cheek, but with a grain of truth. Obviously, for now, you need a second car, and the Prius is a fine choice. But it would be better if I didn't need an ICE car anymore. :)

GeekEV said:
Every time I have to drive the Prius now it never ceases to amaze me how crude it is. It feels sluggish and heavy, like driving in molasses. Though I suspect it would do that to any ICE car... I sure hope electric cars are here to stay this time - there's no way I can go back.

I felt that way about the Prius since the day I got it. It's a fine car in its own right but absolutely no fun to drive (unless you get satisfaction trying to get more mpg each tank of gas). We'll be ditching the Prius and keeping the wife's Altima Hybrid, which I highly recommend. With my light foot, I get 38-42 MPG routinely and I only drive it about 5% of the time.

GeekEV said:
I know this has been covered in other threads, but I wanted to approach this in a different way... My wife and I both had hybrids; I had a Prius and she had a Civic Hybrid. The Prius made Civic Hybrid seem rude and crude. So when I got my LEAF, we decided to ditch the HCH and give her the Prius. That was a mistake. Don't do it.

I have had the same experience. When I go back to our Prius, it does feel sluggish, loud, and old fashioned. My new thought, is to replace the '04 Prius with a plug in Prius next year (hoping that they include more than 13 miles of EV range). So at least our short trips would be all electric.

I'm a convert. Electric only for me!

-Peter

Hello,
I've been noticing the same thing, our 2003 Prius seems a bit rough now BUT......... it feels like glass compared to a romp around in the 66 Mustang (manual steering & brakes - 289 Hipro w/ 5 sp manual).
I love cruising around town in the leaf, what a cool car.

I can usually muster over 6 miles per kWh in the city in my Prius (converted to plug-in), and as long as I drive carefully, I don't use much, if any, gas!

My MPG average is almost always stuck at 99.9 (the most the Prius will indicate)

pic

For right now, this car meets all my needs!

-Phil

GeekEV said:
I have the opposite reaction. The Leaf has caused me to appreciate my 2005 Prius all the more. The plastic in the Leaf interior has started rattling after only 400 miles. The Leaf costs 50% more per mile for me to drive. The Leaf has the range limitation, and the range indicator is a random number generator. The Prius regularly returns 50 miles per gallon with no fuss after six years. I love it.

My wife has been driving the Leaf, but she can't wait to trade with me to get my Prius. Once the carpool stickers show up for the Leaf, I'll be driving that 50 miles each day. It's not a bad car, but it doesn't seem like such an advance as the Prius was.

Googler said:
I have the opposite reaction. The Leaf has caused me to appreciate my 2005 Prius all the more. The plastic in the Leaf interior has started rattling after only 400 miles. The Leaf costs 50% more per mile for me to drive.
Hmm. I've got about 1,750 miles on my LEAF so far and haven't noticed a single rattle. Maybe you should have the dealer take a look at it. As for the cost, ouch, that's some spendy electricity! If anybody ever needed solar, it would be you!

yep, been there. my situation is better than yours but still a rude awakening. i had your 2006 and a 2010 which is a significant upgrade. but even the 2010 which i spent years touting its coolness, quietness and smooth ride on Priuschat.com is now nothing but a top heavy rattletrap!!

just cant get over how snowed i was!! must have been in some sort of Prius spell

Back