A most interesting Monday in Leafland...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomT

Yesterday, I arrived at work at 8am and parked normally in the parking structure. I had charged to 80 percent the night before and arrived with 8 bars remaining (my drive to work is about 26 miles and a descent of about 1,200 feet).

When I got out of work at about 8pm and arrived back at my car, I was surprised to see the heqdlights on (they had been in auto and thus I did not give it a thought when I walked away and they were still on)... I'm not sure what happened but the car was powered up with the doors locked. Then it got really interesting...

I was showing 4 bars with 35 miles of range remaining. Since I had to climb back up the gradual incline I mentioned earlier, I knew there was no way I could make it even though it was only 26 miles. Thus began the search for a L2 charger (there is no accessible power of any kind in the structure - it is old).

The only thing I could find in the direction I was going, and that was close enough to be of any value, was two Nissan dealers in Santa Monica. The closest was Santa Monica Nissan so I gave them a call. They were closed.

I decided to chance it and headed that way anyway. (If worse came to worse, I'd leave it and have them charge it in the morning.) I didn't want to flatbed it!

I arrived there about 8:50pm and they were indeed closed and there was no one around. I saw one charger in the front lot which was, of course, locked and inaccessible... I then drove around the side and saw a small customer parking lot which was open. And in there I saw a green glow from a single EVSE! Eureka! I pulled in and started to charge. An hour and a half and I should be good to go as I had three bars at that point. Ahh, but our story does not end here.

I decided to walk about a half mile away and have dinner while it was charging. Since there is no Android app for the Leaf, my wife was monitoring the charging at home on her iTouch. I had just ordered and was waiting for my food when I get a call from my wife to tell me that the Leaf had stopped charging and she could not restart it. It had been on the charger for only about 20 minutes at that point. My worst fear was that their charger was on a timer and had turned off! I gulped down my food and headed back.

When I arrived back at Santa Monica Nissan, I discovered that someone had unplugged the charger from my car, wrapped the cord back around the charger, and closed but not latched the charger door on the car. They had even closed the small protective cover on the connector in the car. But the charger was still powered up. so I plugged back in and resumed charging. This time I stayed with the car!

About an hour later I was at 5 bars and 52 miles so I unplugged and headed out. I never did see anyone around and have no idea who unplugged me or why...

I got on to the north 405 freeway and figured that the excitement was finally over. Nope, not yet...
I got about three miles and the freeway came to a standstill. There was a multiple vehicle accident at the top of the hill, with injuries. So, there I sat for another half an hour. Perhaps I wasn't really destined to get home this day!

I finally did arrive home around midnight with two bars showing and about 12 miles left... Hopefully today will be much less exciting!

P.S. This does point out why every Nissan dealer should be required to have at least one charger that is accessible 24/7!

mogur said:
...Since there is no Android app for the Leaf, my wife was monitoring the charging at home on her iTouch.
It would be nice if you could at least enable text alerts. Then it would be good for ANY phone. Does the mobile site work on your phone?
mogur said:
P.S. This does point out why every Nissan dealer should be required to have at least one charger that is accessible 24/7!
Sounds good to me! Why waste a perfectly good resource, plus the public infrastructure appears to be lagging BADLY, so for now, the Nissan dealers are it. It might be good to contact both Nissan AND individual dealers on the subject. For the dealers who can easily do so, it might not be that hard a sell.

mogur said:
When I arrived back at Santa Monica Nissan, I discovered that someone had unplugged the charger from my car, wrapped the cord back around the charger, and closed but not latched the charger door on the car.

Paul Blart?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Blart:_Mall_Cop

mogur said:

I agree 100%. Glad you made it home!! I wonder if the Nissan dealer has a part-time security officer that comes by every 4 hours or so. As for your lights, it sounds like you might have not turned the car off, but just locked it. Easy to do when there is no engine noise.

mogur said:

Almost all dealers have a place where you can get service forms and a slot to drop the form and your keys if you drop your car for service after hours. If the dealer has any worry about the cost of electricity being used by customers to recharge - they could put some envelopes out and ask for a couple of bucks and have you slip it in the key drop slot. Seems like the worry free way to do it - paying someone to unhook your car and coil the cord probably costs more then the amount of juice you were using.

Yep, that is the conclusion I reached too. It was still on and powered up... And since it was relatively cool, I suspect that the heater used up most of the charge...

Ready2plugin said:
As for your lights, it sounds like you might have not turned the car off, but just locked it. Easy to do when there is no engine noise.

My wife and I talked about exactly that: Making up a placard to carry in the car for just such an emergency occurrence.

mwalsh said:
Note to self....might be good to make up a card for the windshield "If you need to disrupt this car's charging, please phone *my cell phone number* first".

mogur said:
My wife and I talked about exactly that: Making up a placard to carry in the car for just such an occurrence.

mwalsh said:
Note to self....might be good to make up a card for the windshield "If you need to disrupt this car's charging, please phone *my cell phone number* first".
I am not sure that is always best. After the call the person could have taken additional action to prevent recharging.

I think I might call the dealership the next day to thank the general manager for leaving the charging dock on as it really saved your evening and hint that all of them should be on.
Maybe inquire if security had been instructed to unplug vehicles.

I seriously doubt that any dealer would take such action in an emergency... It would not be worth the bad PR and I don't think it would make Nissan Corporate happy.

smkettner said:
mogur said:
My wife and I talked about exactly that: Making up a placard to carry in the car for just such an occurrence.

mwalsh said:
I am not sure that is always best. After the call the person could have taken additional action to prevent recharging.

smkettner said:
mogur said:

mwalsh said:

I think I might call the dealership the next day to thank the general manager for leaving the charging dock on as it really saved your evening and hint that all of them should be on.
Which the person could ALSO have done without calling. At least with a call, there would have been a clear understanding how long mogur intended to leave his car there. It also could have saved his bacon if there was a chance they might have secured the lot with his car inside.

I would definitely contact the dealer and thank them...also letting them know you got unplugged. It may be simply a matter of them letting security know that it's OK for cars to be plugged in at night.

I did send an email to the GM of Santa Monica Nissan doing exactly that.

davewill said:
I would definitely contact the dealer and thank them...also letting them know you got unplugged. It may be a matter of simply them letting security know that it's OK for cars to be plugged in at night.

mogur said:
When I got out of work at about 8pm and arrived back at my car, I was surprised to see the heqdlights on (they had been in auto and thus I did not give it a thought when I walked away and they were still on)... I'm not sure what happened but the car was powered up with the doors locked.
So, how did this happen ... Did you leave it on by mistake ?

mogur said:
Since there is no Android app for the Leaf, my wife was monitoring the charging at home on her iTouch.
FYI, all Android users can monitor their LEAFs from their phones!

Go to this page on your phone: http://www.nissanusa.com/owners/ and log in. You'll receive a special "mobile" site that is formatted extremely well, at least on my T-Mobile G2.

Yes, it still would be nice to have a dedicated app, but all the same features are available from this page on your phone.

mogur said:
I was showing 4 bars with 35 miles of range remaining. Since I had to climb back up the gradual incline I mentioned earlier, I knew there was no way I could make it even though it was only 26 miles. Thus began the search for a L2 charger (there is no accessible power of any kind in the structure - it is old).
I finally did arrive home around midnight with two bars showing and about 12 miles left... Hopefully today will be much less exciting!

Looks like you could have barely made it home without charging, no? (albeit with lots of anxiety).

No, I don't think so because I have a 1,200 foot elevation climb and a hill on the way home. The range calculation on the Leaf does not take that in to account. The SOC - number of bars - is a much better judge for my purposes and showed there was no way I could make it. Remember I got home with 12 miles and two bars showing after 90 minutes on L2 at which point I was at upper five bars and 52 miles. I was at four when I left the structure and dropped to three very shortly thereafter so I was already at the bottom of the fourth bar before I began.

occ said:
mogur said:

Looks like you could have barely made it home without charging, no? (albeit with lots of anxiety).

DarkStar said:
mogur said:
Since there is no Android app for the Leaf, my wife was monitoring the charging at home on her iTouch.
FYI, all Android users can monitor their LEAFs from their phones!

Go to this page on your phone: http://www.nissanusa.com/owners/ and log in. You'll receive a special "mobile" site that is formatted extremely well, at least on my T-Mobile G2.

Yes, it still would be nice to have a dedicated app, but all the same features are available from this page on your phone.
Would that include an alert for charge interrupted/ended? Or would you have to keep the site open, refreshing it, to find something like this out?

P.S. anyone know how to access the mobile site from a non-mobile device? My android phone goes to the mobile site, but my NookColor keeps going to the regular site, then failing because of the Flash. It would be nice to at least access the mobile site. Usually using "m" or "mobile" in place of "www" works, but not for the owner's portal.

davewill said:
Would that include an alert for charge interrupted/ended? Or would you have to keep the site open, refreshing it, to find something like this out?
Hmm... I haven't played with the iPhone I have access to very much, but I get text messages when charging starts and stops...

Back