Electricity Usage

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csriram45

Not sure if there is another thread but I could not find any that listed usage of people.
I am trying to decide if I should go solar and the impact that my Leaf will be having in usage and I figured many others would benefit. So can people share this info

1) How many miles per month do you drive?
2) How much has your electricity usage increased per month since you bought the leaf
3) How much increase in electricity bill?
4) What Rate plan?

I have created a spreadsheet where people can enter their info.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AktfrqhkP-_UdFVoSVhCemFoRWtFSmEwVEt6UGU5LUE&hl=en&authkey=CPLImJEP

And the answer is complicated. It depends as much or more on your household's base electricity usage than how far you drive, thanks to steep rate tiering.

csriram45 said:
Pricing is Yes but isn't the monthly usage and the KW used directly related to usage?

This would work for people who installed a dedicated (2nd) meter for EV charging; the entire bill would reflect only EV charging. My belief is that no more than 25% of California EV owners* will bother with this expensive approach, so the majority will have a single electric bill for their entire household+EV usage, making in near impossible to ferret out the net EV consumption.

* California utilities (PG&E, SCE, SDG&E) all offer a whole-house TOU rate for EV owners, which offers most of the off-peak charging discount without the fixed cost of installing a 2nd meter panel; it was easily the best choice for me.

Back