Gas station anxiety

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeaneG

It's happened to me twice now after owning my Leaf for 10 days: I saw my range indicated at only 70-80 miles, passed a familiar gas station, and for a second thought that I'd better stop and fill up. Guess I'll get over it sooner or later. It's like "Groundhog Day", waking up every morning with 80 miles range (80% charge).

DeaneG said:
It's happened to me twice now after owning my Leaf for 10 days: I saw my range indicated at only 70-80 miles, passed a familiar gas station, and for a second thought that I'd better stop and fill up. Guess I'll get over it sooner or later. It's like "Groundhog Day", waking up every morning with 80 miles range (80% charge).

Very soon, you'll think of 70-80 miles as being "full" and you won't think about gas prices at all!! :mrgreen:

I just had the opposite problem. I had to stop for gas on the way home ($71 :( ) and I just kept thinking that if I had my Leaf, I could go straight home.

My father in law was in town. He likes the size of the F350 when were out with the kids so he always offers to fill it up. This time I was totally empty and asked "are you sure"? It took $146 to fill it up :shock: ! He just laughed.

DeaneG said:

I did have this happen once, just a couple weeks after getting my car. I was out running errands on a weekend, was passing by a gas station and had the thought (for just a second), "oh I better stop to get gas while I'm here." That was a real "yesss!" feeling. If I still had my old car with these new gas prices, I'd be spending $100 a month (and I only have a 3-mile commute). Now, I'm only spending $20 a month.

Yeah, my daily fill-ups are running about 70 cents :D
It's a complete re-think of what daily transportation should be.

Lucky you! my fillup would be over $100 in CA. It's just a bit cheaper in OR. But not for long :evil:

malloryk said:
If I still had my old car with these new gas prices, I'd be spending $100 a month (and I only have a 3-mile commute).

Waitasec... prices are comparatively steep too where I live (~$4.40/gal) and my commute is 17 miles (daily roundtrip), but I only spend about $25 per month on gas. How in the world are you spending $100/month for just a 3mile commute? Got a hole in your gastank? :)

earther said:
malloryk said:
If I still had my old car with these new gas prices, I'd be spending $100 a month (and I only have a 3-mile commute).

Waitasec... prices are comparatively steep too where I live (~$4.40/gal) and my commute is 17 miles (daily roundtrip), but I only spend about $25 per month on gas. How in the world are you spending $100/month for just a 3mile commute? Got a hole in your gastank? :)
That sounds a bit too much in the other direction. I have a 40 mile a day roundtrip (virtually nothing else, ~200 miles on the car per week) and I'm spending about $150.00 a month on gas (premium @ ~ $4.20/gal). Are you sure you're not doing $25.00 per fillup, or per week?

earther said:
malloryk said:

Well, at least she's consistent...her LEAF burns (can I say that?) $20 a month of electricity on a 3-mile commute...Got a short in your battery ? :D

i "hear" about the escalating price of gas every day at work. i will be filling the Prius tomorrow. one thing that is REALLY noticeable.

before we had 2 Pri's and both used gas. now that we are done to one Prius, one would think that we would get gas more for the one car, but less than the two combined? wrong!!. our gallons usage has gone down 27% so far this year (received Leaf Jan 17th). but price has gone up 17%... so win a few, lose a few

I suffered gas station anxiety for about 3 months after I got my RAV4 EV in 2007.

Here's what gas car drivers do, but they don't even know it: When they pass by a gas station, they get a twinge of anxiety while they check the price, check the entry and exit route to the station, check the clock to see if now is a good time to stop, and check the fuel level to see how badly they need to stop, then make a judgment call and try to decide if a more convenient time will come along. All of this happens subconsciously. I didn't even realize I was doing this until I got an EV.

Don't worry, it goes away. ;-)

Nate

earther said:
malloryk said:

Well, my commute is only 3 miles (one way) but I probably average 15-20 miles a day with errands/trips to the gym or to see friends/longer trips on the weekend. When I had my gas car, I was averaging filling up every two weeks (roughly 300 miles of driving). At the time (sold my car in Dec.), it was about $35 to fill up. With prices as they are now, that'd easily be $50.

Just want to add that most of my driving is city-driving. I used to have a highway-heavy commute, up until about a year and a half ago. When my commute switched to city driving, my MPG went down.

I think I will be able to deal with the gas station anxiety. Skipping the $240/month (and rising) to fill the truck will not be missed.
I expect the fuel for the second car to decrease substantially also as the Subaru will soon be the fuel hog ;)

smkettner said:
I think I will be able to deal with the gas station anxiety. Skipping the $240/month (and rising) to fill the truck will not be missed.
I expect the fuel for the second car to decrease substantially also as the Subaru will soon be the fuel hog ;)

ok some stats to back that statement...

Leaf; month of March, drove 1131 miles used $35.19 in hydro juice.

Prius; last fillup....$36.80 for 455 miles.

i would state gas cost for the month, but that is too depressing

When driving the LEAF I tend to not even notice the Gas Stations, and it has only been 10 days.

I guess I should take the Prius for a little trip, just to keep it running well.

I like to think that only driving once of twice a month for the last two years has really desensitized me to gas station anxiety... Strange though that I notice EVERY bus stop now and think about when the next bus is due... :?

Back