Do you have L2 EVSE at your workplace?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenleaf

I sent the following email to facilities department and the CTO today:

Hello,

To encourage [Company's name]’s green vision, I am wondering if [Company's name] has any plans to install EV chargers at our facilities?

This would promote a zero-emission commute for [Company's name] employees and can be viewed as good PR for [Company's name] and a perk for employees. Google and Yahoo have installed chargers on their campus.
I received a reply about 10 minutes later -- three chargers are currently being installed and will be complete in two weeks. It was delayed by some parts from Japan.

Hurray! :D

My work plans to include EVSE's in future planning for parking capacity. They have agreed to let me opportunity charge at 110V in the meantime, which should be fine, since my commute is 25 miles each way. That should fit my needs.

My company will be installing them, in July - it was approved for the 2012 Fiscal Year, so they cant do it before.

Rockin' Level 1 at my workplace... No need for Level 2 since there are only 8 employees and it's looking like I'll be the only electric car for at least a while... :D

My Employer - Taylor Shellfish Farms has agreed to place an EVSE at our Shelton office/Retail store and we are looking at options for the Bow store off Chuckanut Drive near Bellingham. As the largest shellfish farmer in the US, we are very interested in promoting environmentally friendly options. Our charger is expected to be installed in Shelton by the end of April. My Leaf is expected arrive about the same time - looking forward to saving on my commute - 65 miles each way.

I am hoping once employers get past the high price of the controlled access equipment and realize they just need some open use low cost Leviton 160s about every third stall that it will be a more accepted perk. The whole reserved EV parking thing and big $$$ install is a bit over the top for many. For employers there is no need to be on the map or network and a mechanical timer could limit use to work hours. Also the lower 20a circuit could allow twice as many without over burdening the main panel.

And so far no evse at my employer.

One of my motivations in leasing the Think City back in 2002-04, and in buying the Leaf now, is the availability of charging at my workplace. Charging has been free so far, but they plan to initiate a nominal fee for the ChargePoint units, in part because the chargers are placed in a 'desirable' spot (i.e good parking). So far I'm sharing four ChargePoints with 2-3 Chevy Volts, but I expect more competition over time.

Setting an hourly fee will encourage the Volts to move on after they fill their batteries in 3-4 hours, so I can get to the plugs :)

EVSE: Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment. If you've access to 120V in your company's parking lot, then the answer is "YES" ... you have EVSE at work ... simply because the Leaf COMES with a 120V EVSE.

hill said:
EVSE: Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment. If you've access to 120V in your company's parking lot, then the answer is "YES" ... you have EVSE at work ... simply because the Leaf COMES with a 120V EVSE.
Since you picked on my question, I decided to edit it to "L2 EVSE". :mrgreen:

TaylorSFGuy said:
My Employer - Taylor Shellfish Farms has agreed to place an EVSE at our Shelton office/Retail store and we are looking at options for the Bow store off Chuckanut Drive near Bellingham. As the largest shellfish farmer in the US, we are very interested in promoting environmentally friendly options. Our charger is expected to be installed in Shelton by the end of April. My Leaf is expected arrive about the same time - looking forward to saving on my commute - 65 miles each way.

Welcome to the forum!
hey, that's awesome that your employer is willing to step up!

I see your in my area, and I'm due for delivery on the 28th(ish). We're probably going to be on the same truck :D

We have (2) dual mode "ChargePoint" EVSE's capable of L1 and L2 at the same time. So, we can charge 4 EV's with these 2 units. But, I believe the hourly price is set too high. It's $1.10 per hour to use it.

Plus, we have another "Tesla" 50 amp EVSE with the Tesla brand charge head.

The company has set aside funds for a L3 quick charge EVSE when a few more EV's show up at the office and the charger head is standarized.

However, I've been using my Nissan EVSE L1 unit with the free 120 outlets in the garage overnight during the week ;)
(I take the train to and from work for several workdays-the office pays for my monthly train ticket :mrgreen: )

gasmiser1 said:
However, I've been using my Nissan EVSE L1 unit with the free 120 outlets in the garage overnight during the week ;)
(I take the train to and from work for several workdays-the office pays for my monthly train ticket :mrgreen: )
Is the garage locked? Sometimes I wonder if I would be willing to leave the Nissan L1 EVSE unattended. These things don't come cheap -- $600+ a piece I believe.

TaylorSFGuy said:

Well, that's very shellfish of you!

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)

greenleaf said:
gasmiser1 said:
Is the garage locked? Sometimes I wonder if I would be willing to leave the Nissan L1 EVSE unattended. These things don't come cheap -- $600+ a piece I believe.
Well, you can lock the EVSE to your vehicle so it can't be unplugged without breaking things, but can still easily be unplugged from the other end...

Another technique is backing the car over the cable before plugging it in to trap the cable under a tire... I'm not sure how durable the cable is though...

smkettner said:
They pay the monthly train ticket and then turn around and charge $1.10 per hour for an electric vehicle :roll:
-------------------------
yea, I'm trying to get them to re-figure their pricing. We own the EVSEs and ChargePoint set the price for us. I see the irony too-free train pass and EV charging not free?

Also, people in charge of facilities here :eek: don't own any EVs.

greenleaf said:
gasmiser1 said:
-----------------
Our company garage is locked at night after 7. We also have 24/7 guard with video surveillance. Plus, I use a lock on the Nissan L1 chrome button on the handle and one on the $60.00 20amp capable 50' extension cord.
(someone could play a joke and unplug at the socket :(

Glad to hear about Taylor Shellfish Farms...we have family in Shelton so go by there fairly often. My employer, Group Health Cooperative in Olympia, WA has set up a recharging port as well, it is noted on the map.

Back