HOA adds a condition to approve EV charger

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sitdykova

Hi, I requested for an approval of EV charger in the garage at my condominium. The management company asked for a few questions and I have answered all.
I have just got a message from them that they are issuing a conditional approval for the EV charger. I need to remove a storage unit (a shed actually) from my parking space that I installed over a year ago, when HOA didn't exist. The storage unit is added in compliance with CCR for homeowners.
I heard that they want all owners to have the same storage units approved by HOA. Therefore, it looks like the HOA and the management company use my EV request as a way to make me to remove the storage units that they would not be able to do otherwise. I don't like the idea of removing the sheds, because then I'll need to pay again for another one approved by HOA (that would be more costly and less spacious).
How legit is this (I live in Los Angeles, CA)? Is there anything you can suggest? I need to schedule installation for the next week (I am installing EV Level 2).
I heard that HOA cannot prevent homeowners from installing EV. Is it already in effect in California?
I own the condo unit and 2 spaces in the garage. The wires for EV charger are supposed to go the other way, not around nor above the shed.
Thank you.

I would carefully read the CC&R's and see if there is any "grandfather" provisions, that protect pre-existing improvements.
I would think that if they could actually DO something, they would have already.

I don't believe they can link this request to another, unrelated issue that they don't have authority to deal with separately. I would ask for a yes or no on the installation alone and point out that this is a separate issue. If they say no they better have a damn good reason why. Also, if you haven't done so, it is always good to put in your request in writing, and request a written response from them including a justification if they are trying to deny it. Shouldn't be a message or email, and insist that it be signed by a responsible party. They may tell you stuff verbally/informally they wouldn't dare put in writing.

palmermd said:
Another reason to just use the EVSEupgrade, and skip all the fuss about a fixed home charge station.
It would solve nothing. He would have to get approval for a 240v outlet at his parking space, something that would almost certainly meet more resistance than a UL approved EVSE.

I would do the right thing and comply with the additional request.
If the shed is not really in compliance (even if grandfathered) it is best IMO to just make it right.

davewill said:
palmermd said:
Another reason to just use the EVSEupgrade, and skip all the fuss about a fixed home charge station.
It would solve nothing. He would have to get approval for a 240v outlet at his parking space, something that would almost certainly meet more resistance than a UL approved EVSE.
Really? He could just say he's installing a "power outlet" for various car tools, like a vacuum cleaner, air pump, etc. The HOA doesn't even need to know the voltage of the outlet.

smkettner said:
If the shed is not really in compliance (even if grandfathered) it is best IMO to just make it right.
Huh? There's nothing "right" about changing the rules after the fact and forcing compliance. The right thing is not twisting his arm on the EVSE by insisting he spend money on a new storage unit.

DarkStar said:
Really? He could just say he's installing a "power outlet" for various car tools, like a vacuum cleaner, air pump, etc. The HOA doesn't even need to know the voltage of the outlet.
Yeah, really. When you get approval for something like this, you generally have to submit a detailed plan much like the one you would submit for a city building permit. If you misrepresent the improvement they could even make you remove it...and unlike the city, the busybodies on the board are likely to notice.

smkettner said:
If it is grandfathered, it IS in compliance. Otherwise, the HOA would force a change.

davewill said:
DarkStar said:
Yeah, really. When you get approval for something like this, you generally have to submit a detailed plan much like the one you would submit for a city building permit. If you misrepresent the improvement they could even make you remove it...and unlike the city, the busybodies on the board are likely to notice.
I guess it's just another reason why I always told my realtor, no HOAs, no CCRs, and no deed restrictions! :D

Back