Registered for REFUEL 2011

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwalsh

Leaf Supporting Member
So I went ahead and registered for REFUEL 2011, the 3rd Clean Power Motorsports event at Laguna Seca in June.

http://www.refuelraces.com/index.html

I have a bit of SCCA solo type experience, and some lap time on the Willow Springs short course in my Mini saloon. Although I understand Laguna Seca, and The Corkscrew in particular, can be quite challenging. :shock:

Not a clue how I'm going to get my LEAF up there as of right now, but I'll take one step at a time, and I do have a couple of months to work out the logistics. Do you suppose that enough L3 charging stations will go in between now and the end of June to enable me to make the trip without trailering my car? :? :lol:

mwalsh said:
Do you suppose that enough L3 charging stations will go in between now and the end of June to enable me to make the trip without trailering my car? :? :lol:
Hmmm ... No.

mwalsh said:
Not a clue how I'm going to get my LEAF up there as of right now, but I'll take one step at a time, and I do have a couple of months to work out the logistics.
No worries. 350 miles is 5 hops of 70 miles. All you need is 4 motels where you can plug in to 120v for 15 hours or so. Sounds like a nice relaxing two week vacation (assuming you want to get the car back home afterword).

Ray

RV campgrounds with 50A hookups, if you have a 240v modified EVSE.. otherwise 120V. Drive at 45mph and the Leaf may reach 160 miles, no ac of course. Start doing some testing to see the range at 45mph.

TRONZ said:
Check out my sig :cool:
So... how many LEAFs can you tow? I've seen a F350 dually around here used for towing exotics to/from La Jolla with a trailer that looks like it could carry 3-4 cars on it...

Looks like you have a towing capacity close to 20,000 lbs - should be good for 4 LEAFs. :) Laguna Seca or Bust? :D

drees said:
TRONZ said:
Check out my sig :cool:
So... how many LEAFs can you tow? I've seen a F350 dually around here used for towing exotics to/from La Jolla with a trailer that looks like it could carry 3-4 cars on it...

Looks like you have a towing capacity close to 20,000 lbs - should be good for 4 LEAFs. :) Laguna Seca or Bust? :D
Do the have a team event? :cool:

Is there level 2 charging at Laguna Seca? I am totally down for this. Now I just have to figure how to get form Fresno to Seaside without it take 2 days. hehe.

-Nader

Here is a video I did last year showing some EVs charging:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9an67EeTZA[/youtube]

They temporarily wire up a bunch of NEMA14-50s for the vehicles to use.
Tesla owners bring their mobile chargers (UMCs and RFMCs).
There may not be any J1772, so having a portable EVSE modified for 240V with a NEMA14-50 plug could be the best option.

MaryC said:
Bump

mwalsh,
Are you still planning on doing this event?

At this point, yes. Though we just got back from a rather expensive vacation - 6 of us to the UK - so coffers may need to be replenished instead.

I'm thinking it will be $500 just to rent a rig (truck and trailer) to get the LEAF up there. Plus gas, at least one night hotel, and food.

Back