Looks like Leafs are forsale on the autotrader

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark13

If you are tired of waiting for your Leaf to come to your dealer, check out the Autotrader..
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchresults.jsp?lastBeginningStartYear=2009&num_records=25&search_lang=en&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&search_type=new&distance=0&address=85375&marketZipError=false&body_style=HATCH&make=NISSAN&model=LEAF&make2=NISSAN&model2=&make3=&start_year=2009&end_year=2012&min_price=30000&max_price=40000&seller_type=b&transmission=&engine=&drive=&doors=&fuel=&max_mileage=&color=&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&keywords_display=&sort_type=priceDESC&body_code=4&certified=&advanced=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&showZipError=n&default_sort=&awsp=false&systime=&sownerid=105618&rdm=1303240481829

I guess three of Stevens Creek Nissan's customers declined to take delivery and now they are trying to see what the market will bear. The price looks higher than list.

This has been discussed elsewhere in the forum--some dealers list all of their in-stock vehicles on Auto Trader and some of them have been Leafs that have really NOT been for sale. These are probably reserved cars and not for sale.

A lot of dealers do this for other makes -- for instance, when the MBZ smart cars came out we saw ours listed on autotrader even though it was a pre-purchase order; our sales contact even was pro-active and let us know not to worry as it shows new cars coming into to the dealership to create some buzz -- not sure this is what you're seeing but its a common practice at many dealers.

redLEAF said:
A lot of dealers do this for other makes -- for instance, when the MBZ smart cars came out we saw ours listed on autotrader even though it was a pre-purchase order; our sales contact even was pro-active and let us know not to worry as it shows new cars coming into to the dealership to create some buzz -- not sure this is what you're seeing but its a common practice at many dealers.

That would be an illegal practice here in California, but I would not be surprised to hear it happen.

evmike said:
I guess three of Stevens Creek Nissan's customers declined to take delivery and now they are trying to see what the market will bear. The price looks higher than list.

SteveInSeattle said:
This has been discussed elsewhere in the forum--some dealers list all of their in-stock vehicles on Auto Trader and some of them have been Leafs that have really NOT been for sale. These are probably reserved cars and not for sale.

I picked up my LEAF yesterday at Stevens Creek Nissan, and asked them about the LEAFs for sale on autotrader. Steve.. got the correct answer a far as I can tell. The dealer lists their vehicles until the vehicle is actually paid for. Stevens Creek Nissan had 7 LEAFs available and I purchased #7, and last one. So I assume mine was listed for sale until I paid for it.

linkim's vin# 1571 was offered by Stevens Creek Nissan on AutoTrader as late as this morning.
Yesterday, Stevens Creek had vin#s 0974, 1068, 1095, 1517 and 1571 for sale on AutoTrader.

I can only hope that all of these are going to reservation holders such as linkim.

ByeByePump said:
linkim's vin# 1571 was offered by Stevens Creek Nissan on AutoTrader as late as this morning.
Yesterday, Stevens Creek had vin#s 0974, 1068, 1095, 1517 and 1571 for sale on AutoTrader.

I can only hope that all of these are going to reservation holders such as linkim.

Yes I picked up Vin 1571 yesterday, and I assume the others were purchased as well. Since the dealer sold 7 LEAFs in the last week or so, there must be a lag time between entering the database at AutoTrader and removal after the sale. Since the LEAFs are reserved by buyers, I think it is poor policy for the dealer to post the vehicles on AutoTrader. Maybe this helps drive eyeballs to the dealers inventory.

There are leafs available on Autotrader and Cars.com. That how I found and bought my orphan. The person who ordered refused the car due to EVSE problems at his condo. The car was listed on Autotrader.com. I saw it, emailed the dealer. Bought the car over the phone. I paid full list. Black SL with L3 charge port.

Seems unfair that people who put reservations in a year ago are being ignored while Leaf cars are being put up for sale on Autotrader.com
It appears that certain dealers have unsold inventory of the cars.
Why did I bother putting in a reservation? Did Nissan try to pull a fast one by hyping the desire to get reservation money?

Chuck,
The orphans up for sale on Autotrader, Craigs List, etc. were ordered by people who didn't follow through and buy them once they the car arrived at the dealer.

If a buyer pulls out well in advance, then the car stays with Nissan. But if the buyer pulls out at the last minute when the car is at the dealer, then the dealer gets to keep the car and will try to find a new buyer. Some dealers add on a premium to the price for an orphan, others sell at MSRP, etc.

The percentage of orphans to cars ordered through the "Regular channels" is small, so you did the right thing by placing a reservation and ordering a car...

ByeByePump said:
Huh. Too bad mine (1554) couldn't have made it to the Bay Area in that batch (though mine is headed for Boardwalk).

Wait longer, I will. Anxious, I am. Patient, I must be. (Played for my kids today the YouTube video of Yoda and friends recording their voices for TomTom... hilarious!)

Speaking of which... I hope someone can figure out the format of the Leaf's Navi SD card, so we can replace the voice files!

Randy said:
Chuck,
The orphans up for sale on Autotrader, Craigs List, etc. were ordered by people who didn't follow through and buy them once they the car arrived at the dealer.

If a buyer pulls out well in advance, then the car stays with Nissan. But if the buyer pulls out at the last minute when the car is at the dealer, then the dealer gets to keep the car and will try to find a new buyer. Some dealers add on a premium to the price for an orphan, others sell at MSRP, etc.

The percentage of orphans to cars ordered through the "Regular channels" is small, so you did the right thing by placing a reservation and ordering a car...

Everyone:

I have been in contact with a great dealer here in Franklin TN - (Nashville area) - next to the Nissan HQ.
They have a blue orphan sitting in front of the building now for almost 2 weeks, and are not selling, it;

... but they are actually ___waiting___ on Nissan to tell them who the car is suppose to go to that is next in line for a delivery. They will not sell it to anyone everyone gets turned away to wait / put on the waiting list, if they have not ordered a car.

I believe that only ___greedy___ dealers like the one that is selling cars on autotrader is doing that, all other dealers (most of them) are loyal to Nissan and there (future) customers and put the cars back in the queue.

The VIN on this car is #429
They also have a new one received VIN #1749 BLUE yesterday it is waiting for it's new happy owner!

No I don't work for them - my PD is keeping very quite and does not answer my emails either, but at least they are not ___gauging__ orphans either

Ralph

mark13 said:
My dealer would love to get more orphans ...They just sold one for $45k..

honestly I would boycott this dealer that is so f..... __greedy__ to not support the EV cause ethically just to make dirty cash in his on pocket!

These Dealers need to be disallowed to sell LEAF ___period ___!!!

Ralph

chuck58 said:
Seems unfair that people who put reservations in a year ago are being ignored while Leaf cars are being put up for sale on Autotrader.com
It appears that certain dealers have unsold inventory of the cars.
Why did I bother putting in a reservation? Did Nissan try to pull a fast one by hyping the desire to get reservation money?
This could have been avoided by charging a more reasonable reservation fee - say $300 instead of $100. It would have weeded out a lot more of the riff-raff and avoided a lot of orphans...

drees said:
This could have been avoided by charging a more reasonable reservation fee - say $300 instead of $100. It would have weeded out a lot more of the riff-raff and avoided a lot of orphans...

That happens to be what Mitsubishi is doing...I forget the exact amount...but $300 seems about right.

However, when it looks like there will be people sitting on a reservation for 2 years or more, I don't think a higher reservation amount is the answer. Why not have something due during the order process (is there anything now?)

this is probably all a mute point since I doubt they are going to change the procedures on the fly.

Back