EVs used in tsunami relief efforts - NYTimes article

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ritikatootie

Today's NYT's automobile section has an article on the gasoline shortages in some of the towns most severely impacted by the tsunami. Thought you all might be interested in it. The first two paragraphs read:

WITH deep-tread tires and ample ground clearance, a rugged 4-wheel-drive Hummer or Jeep might seem the best choice for navigating through the wrecked cities of northeastern Japan. The areas pummeled by the earthquake and tsunami in March would surely be inhospitable for an electric vehicle.

Yet in the days and weeks after the horrific one-two punch of natural disasters, wispy battery-electric cars — engineered for lightness and equipped with tires designed for minimal rolling resistance — proved their mettle.

get it here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/08/automobiles/08JAPAN.html?_r=1

Awesome. Electricity can be generated in many ways, and not necessary requiring transmission network. I can see how oil and gas infrastructure, once down can be much more difficult to re-establish. Not surprised and glad to see in practice.

Back