Parked for a week with 80% battery charge, came back DEAD

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottland

I parked my car at the airport for a week. I left it with an 80% charge. I came back and it only had 1 bar charge. I did not leave any lights on and the car was off. What happened to my charge??? Does the battery just slowly go dead? It wasn't plugged into anything

Has anyone else experienced this?

Location of both key fobs? If someone could have driven your car without your knowledge? Did you check the odometer and trip meters?

I sure hope that's not right. If you're sure you had everything turned off, you might want to have it looked at. Or try and recreate the same circumstances and see what happens. Maybe check your stats on carwings for that trip and see what it says for trip duration - that should tell you if you did accidentally leave it on.

Left car at LAX airport, key fob went with me to Hawaii so no one could have driven it (other key fob at home). I am in tow truck getting towed back to my house right now, will check car wings when I get home.

garygid said:
CAUTION:
Check (and charge if necessary) the 12v battery FIRST, BEFORE attempting to charge the LEAF's main (traction) battery.

What does that mean? The car wasn't completely dead... Just said something like critically low and had zero bars, but would still drive if I tried.

The one bar I was referring to early was from the nissan leaf app on my iphone.

Yikes,That scares me now to leave the Leaf at the airport for a week..That would also be a great spot for a fast charger..

I believe the only other time we have seen battery loss like that is when someone shipped their leaf across the country and the people who put it on the flat bed forgot to press the power button and turn it off, it was left on the entire trip in park while being transported. Something odd happened, I don't believe this is normal, I notice no self-discharge in mine (But haven't gone more then two days without driving it :p )

-Matt

I'm with Matt, unless something is mechanically wrong it was just left on for the whole time.. it would not take much of a current draw to do it over a week... about a 100wh discharge would do it (8A draw from the 12V battery).

if you park at the airport for the week or weekend, should you plug into the 1772 charger, if you dont need the juice to make the roundtrip?

scottland said:
No - I had left it parked at home for a week and when we returned didn't see any change. Infact, no difference in the m/kwh at the plug i.e. no discharge during the week off.

evnow said:
scottland said:
No - I had left it parked at home for a week and when we returned didn't see any change. Infact, no difference in the m/kwh at the plug i.e. no discharge during the week off.

+1 left for a week and saw no change whatsoever when I returned.

palmermd said:
evnow said:
scottland said:

+1 left for a week and saw no change whatsoever when I returned.

+2 Left parked for week with no problems.

I think 'gudy' said in a thread somewhere that he left his car for 3 weeks and lost only a couple of miles.

Here's the thread about the member who shipped his LEAF across county and saw a huge drop in the battery, but turns out because the shipper left it on.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2291&start=0

This happened to me with my ICE and was caused by parking near a light rail track. When the trains went by, they set off my alarm. 10 days later my batter was dead :cry:

If headlights are left on Auto, might they come on each evening?
But, even that should only affect the 12v battery.

Absent user error, I would suggest taking the car to Nissan and having it checked for an abnormally large "vampire" (car OFF) current from the High Voltage Battery Pack.

If it is normally ZERO watts when OFF, and your car has a "leakage" of perhaps 50 to 100 watts, then you might get that Pack-discharged symptom.

It might even be some relay stuck ON, located INSIDE the battery pack box.

Yes, have it checked out.

Back