People keep asking if my car uses any gas

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kballs

Even after telling them that my car was electric, most friends, family, neighbors, and coworkers have asked if my Leaf uses any gas. One guy thought the quick charge port was a gas filler neck. Everyone has been very surprised to hear it's electric only. I suspect that even if Nissan steps up their Leaf marketing, average people will still be confused by the spectrum of EVs, hybrids, and plugin hybrids and all the marketing terms and slogans and not know the difference unless they're an enthusiast.

Forget driving fast to show people on the road that EVs aren't golf carts, they have no clue and just think you're an a-hole in some new econo hatchback.

I get the same question. Some sorta hesitate as if they may know but cannot believe it. They need to ask to make sure.

I think it is GM that has caused the confusion with their Volt car long known to be THE electric car that turned out to be just another hybrid.

I think there's so much confusion out there and will be for some time. Makes me wonder if I should put "100% ELECTRIC" on my car instead of just "ELECTRIC" as I have planned! :lol: It's quite a consumer education challenge for mass market EV producers, and I can understand why Nissan is putting out the commercials they are -- including the one with a brief shot of the Volt.

SteveInSeattle said:
One guy kept asking me how many "miles to the gallon" even after he seemed to understand it is electric.
That's really funny! Maybe you should ask, "Do you mean how many miles I can go per gallon of Slurpee I drink before I have to stop at a gas station -- to use the restroom?" ;)

SteveInSeattle said:
One guy kept asking me how many "miles to the gallon" even after he seemed to understand it is electric.
Yeah, I get that a lot too. I usually try to turn it into a discussion of how many "miles to the cost of a gallon". Which, for my utility rate, works out to about 96 "miles per gallon".

If they STILL seem to not quite get it ... I ask them what they pay for gas (typical answer $4) and how many MPG *their* vehicle gets (typical answer 20). "OK," I say, "that's 400 cents for 20 miles or 20 cents per mile." I take a pause so that the 20c/mi can sink in a little. Then I say, slowly and deliberately (but without gloating) and matter-of-factly, " I pay 2 and one-half cents per mile. "

Now ... the look on their face changes :)

I borrowed a line from Nissan's marketing department. I tell 'em, "There's no tailpipe". This is usually followed by a look of surprise, and a walk to the rear of the car to check it out...

After waiting decades to get an electric car, I thought a line like that was silly. But now I'm using it to good effect.

Not to be nit picking but the result of division by zero is undefined, not infinite. :geek:

evnow said:
SteveInSeattle said:
I promptly tell them infinite :lol:

I think this is a great idea! If I had a LEAF (We won't be able to order in NH until next year sometime) I would do this.

OilFreedom said:
I think there's so much confusion out there and will be for some time. Makes me wonder if I should put "100% ELECTRIC" on my car instead of just "ELECTRIC" as I have planned! :lol:

Very well done LEAFer! I like this. When I get my LEAF (next year some time) I will use this, if you don't mind. :)

LEAFer said:
If they STILL seem to not quite get it ... I ask them what they pay for gas (typical answer $4) and how many MPG *their* vehicle gets (typical answer 20). "OK," I say, "that's 400 cents for 20 miles or 20 cents per mile." I take a pause so that the 20c/mi can sink in a little. Then I say, slowly and deliberately (but without gloating) and matter-of-factly, " I pay 2 and one-half cents per mile. "

I use the "no tailpipe" explanation as well. It's important to remember that you're representing EV owners on a major scale, and sometimes discussions of divide by zero errors are funny, and sometimes it flies over your audiences head.

We have "Low Emission and Fuel Effecient" parking at a nearby business. With my engineering friends it is funny to talk about the fact that technically, my Leaf does not qualify for their preferred parking. With a complete newbie to EV, you may have to explain the lack of fill ups more than once. I often point out "I have no idea what the price of gas is. I hear you people pay a lot for it. :)"

Interesting for me, the new question I get asked all the time is "But electricity isn't free, so you're electric rate must be through the roof." This question has surged in popularity, so it's being picked up somewhere. I calmly explain I spend about $15 per month on electricity for the car. And then ask "How much was your last fill up?"

It's a process. People will learn and understand. Just be patient, and answer their questions and explain. Remember, even if it's the same question you've answered a hundred times that day, it's the first time they've asked it.

In the meantime, enjoy it. It's fun to be the ambassador of change. :)

Well said driveleaf! I bet you are or have been a teacher at some point in your professional life.

:)

jimcmorr said:
Not to be nit picking but the result of division by zero is undefined, not infinite. :geek:

evnow said:
SteveInSeattle said:
I promptly tell them infinite :lol:
I agree with zero MPG. If the battery is flat and you have a gallon of gasoline you will go zero miles. ;)

jimcmorr said:
LEAFer said:

Very well done LEAFer! I like this. When I get my LEAF (next year some time) I will use this, if you don't mind. :)
Of course not ! Feel free. Just adjust with simple numbers easily divisible ($4=400 & 25MPG, or 20MPG, etc).

driveleaf said:
With a complete newbie to EV, you may have to explain the lack of fill ups more than once. I often point out "I have no idea what the price of gas is. I hear you people pay a lot for it. :)"
I tried a variation of this, but eventually decided to stay away from gloating or the "you people" style ...

driveleaf said:
Interesting for me, the new question I get asked all the time is "But electricity isn't free, so you're electric rate must be through the roof." This question has surged in popularity, so it's being picked up somewhere. I calmly explain I spend about $15 per month on electricity for the car. And then ask "How much was your last fill up?"
That one works well ... I like it :) Although, again for non-gloating reasons, I usually skip the last part of the question ( if they don't ask themselves that ... well ... my efforts are probably wasted ). Instead, I often add an extra piece of information, because most of the ones asking that question in the first place are more detail inclined anyway: I tell them how many miles I drove during that $15 month. That prevents the obvious follow-up question about length of commute, etc. ( Speaking of which ... that brings up the CarPool stickers :p )

smkettner said:
I agree with zero MPG. If the battery is flat and you have a gallon of gasoline you will go zero miles. ;)

Though if you had a generator and a gallon of gasoline you could charge it up some. :lol:

LEAFer said:

I typically talk in terms of $ spent per month. That usually grabs their attention much better ... since, most people know how much they spend on gas every month.

Back