do you charge, short term

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mx5racer

When I was having my Wet Okole seat covers installed the offered me
a 110 plug and asked if I needed to use it.
They said that others had asked for a place to plug in.
I do not carry the EVSE with me so it was not an issue.
Even if I did, what is the point of charging for 1/2 - 3/4 hour at 110?

Do you charge when you are out, even if you do not need to?

The only time I typically charge when I am out is when I know the total trip is going to exceed my range or push my SOC very low. If the trip is well within my range I don't bother charging. I just charge at home. That being said I have taken a few road trips and stopped at charge stations to extend range.

I will only opportunity charge at 240v, and only then if I'm going to be someplace for enough time for it to make sense (like a couple of hours). I won't bother with L1 charging for any less than 4-6 hours. There is just no point.

Unless I'm completely desperate, that is.

mogur said:
Nope, I only charge when I have a specific need.

Mx5racer said:
It is a nice opportunity to demo charging an EV -

"Well, I don't have to charge but if it's convenient for you (the charging host), I'd love to! Would you like to plug my car in? It's pretty easy...."
Also other people and customers see this and it gets them thinking about the alternatives...

I tend to charge in Public not only when I occasionally need to, but also because it's cool and let's others see the possibilities of reliable electric transportation! Of course if there' another EV or PlugIn Hybrid that needs to charge, I immediately yield the charger to them.

Sometimes it's also convenient if you do the charge to 80% regime, to have something to do while you wait, or maybe avoiding the need to charge at a less convenient time.

It could also create the opposite perception: "See, you have to always plug them in everywhere you go..."

But frankly, I'm lazy. If I don't need the charge to get where I am going, I'm not likely to bother unless there is a L2 charging station right there and I can easily plug in to it...

ElectricVehicle said:
It is a nice opportunity to demo charging an EV

I wouldn't charge unless I need to, both for the reasons others stated above and because of this recommendation for extending battery life in the manual (P. EV-21):

Allow the vehicle and Li-ion battery to cool down after use before charging.

mogur said:
It could also create the opposite perception: "See, you have to always plug them in everywhere you go..."

But frankly, I'm lazy. If I don't need the charge to get where I am going, I'm not likely to bother unless there is a L2 charging station right there and I can easily plug in to it...

ElectricVehicle said:
It is a nice opportunity to demo charging an EV
Whatever suits you - if you want to plug in or not..

As for the opposite effect - "See, you have to always plug them in everywhere you go...", I think the people who will think that are already thinking it, and how do they know from appearances alone - the car is plugged in, whether I just traveled 2 miles or 100 miles in the electric - or 200+ miles for a Tesla.

Some will think you have to plug in everywhere and EVs will never work, and there aren't any places to plug in. They won't change their minds. Others may be on the fence, and when they see how many different ways you can plug in and the emergence of more public charging, I think they wil view EVs plugged in as a positive thing - "If I get an EV, wherever I go - I can plug in, I see other EVs doing it all the time."

SparkyEV said:
I wouldn't charge unless I need to, both for the reasons others stated above and because of this recommendation for extending battery life in the manual (P. EV-21):

Allow the vehicle and Li-ion battery to cool down after use before charging.
Until I hear otherwise with some nice data that I'm sure the MNL community will eventually find, showing charge rate, battery life, charge level (80%, 100%), temperature, I'm not going to worry about the low level heating form 120V charging while my battery temp is less than half way on the temp gauge. If it's over 90 outside, or the battery temp gauge is over halfway, I wouldn't charge at Level 2, 240V unless I needed it, but I still wouldn't worry about it too much on an occasional basis. If it's 105 out and the battery temp is in the Red, I'd avoid charging if possible. I'm also only charging to 80%, unless I need 100% which rarely need for my particular situation.

I'm still a newb so my thoughts on all this are subject to change. Lately I've come to feel that the number one thing holding back the Leaf is the perception that it has inadequate range, even though it can be recharged multiple times a day. Currently I'm charging to 80% pretty much whenever I get the chance (within reason). Aside from people seeing the charging system being used, it increases spontaneity, allowing us to go on a whim when we get invited for something on the fly. For me, for now, I'm erring on the side of being ready to go so we don't have to say: "sorry, we can't head over now, our car might not make it home if we do". I'm convinced that 80% charging allows for practically unlimited short term charging with little effect on battery longevity.
g

I've been charging at Level 2 wherever I can so that I can have the station added to the navigation system.

Also, I know of quite a few AVCON chargers that were removed because the site owners never saw anyone using them. So I think it's worthwhile do make use of the infrastructure that's being built for us.

Mx5racer said:
If I'm at a location for less than an hour, I'll charge at Level 2 if available. If it's over an hour, I'll charge at either Level 1 or Level 2 if something is available.

Either way, I'll display my EV Charger Sharing Protocol card showing I could be unplugged anytime as I'm not usually in a desperate situation for a charge.

If they build it, we must use it (within reason), or we will lose it!

And, be sure to let the charge-station owners know that you chose their establishment over others because of their EV support. Thanks!

Mx5racer said:
When I was having my Wet Okole seat covers installed the offered me
a 110 plug and asked if I needed to use it.
They said that others had asked for a place to plug in.
I do not carry the EVSE with me so it was not an issue.
Even if I did, what is the point of charging for 1/2 - 3/4 hour at 110?
I believe I was the first WO customer to ask to use a 110 outlet while my covers were being installed. The reason is very simple, WO is about 40 miles from my home and all but about 3 miles of the trip were taken on I-405. So, even thought I only achieved about 5 more miles, it was certainly worth the peace of mind.

Back