TPS tire pressure sensors & extra snow tire /rim sets

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tzev

does anyone understand the ins & outs of tire pressure sensors? i am putting a set of snow tires on and forgot about the tire pressure sensors. does any Nissan TPS work from any Nissan model? Toyota TPSs? do i have to buy from a dealer or are there other non-pricey options? how does the car recognized my sensors vis-a-vis the car next to mine? I will have snow tires on their separate snow rims, so i would like an extra set of TPS to be pre-installed, but don't know the ins and outs of ensuring i get the right TPSs and properly programmed into the Leaf. knowledgeable recommendations appreciated. thx, tzev :shock:

Here's a thread with some references to where you can get the pressure sensors.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=6188" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I haven't gone through the thread again, but I recall there being some discussion of needing to reinitialize any new sensors with the car. Nissan dealers and tire shops evidently do this, but I'm guessing there is also info on the web on how you might do it yourself. Good luck!

I'm not certain about brands being compatible, but I do know that a car with TPMS can only associate itself with 1 set of 4 tires. This means that if you want to put TPMS in your winter rims/tires you will need to have the tire shop pair the new ones with your car. This becomes an issue if you swap the set yourself as you cannot do the pairing yourself (without special tools). This is also an issue for people who like to keep full-size spare tires and rotate it into service to get even wear (not so much with the Leaf, obviously).

I have a set of winter rims/tires for my other car for trips to the mountains in the winter. Since I don't need them on a daily basis, I swap them on and off myself. It was an easy decision for me NOT to put TPMS sensors in my winter setup as the cost and inconvenience to pair the setup each time is not worth it to me. When I first drive off with my winter setup on the low pressure light blinks and then eventually becomes a steady, solid light. I've known people to take a small piece of electrical tape and cover it up if it bothers them :) Once I switch back and drive off in with the OEM wheels/tires with TPMS sensors the light goes away within the first few miles.

I don't think that answers your original question, but hopefully the info is helpful.

Note: I have NOT personally tested this method. This is the result of info I gleaned from a number of sources. I can't even confirm definitively that it will work with a Leaf though it does work with other Nissans and it is unlikely that they changed the method for just the Leaf.... Proceed at your own risk and with due caution!

Here is a way you can do it yourself to reset the tpms and register the pressure sensor IDs without any special tools (with the help of OBD3 Solutions and their BLOG - http://blog.obd3solutions.com/en/?p=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

OBD3 found a way to reset and put the tpms into learning mode with a piece of wire and then register the tpms wheel sensor IDs.

The service manual describes a method of registering the wheel sensor IDs without the use of an activation tool. All you have to do is alter the pressure in each tire, put the tpms into learning mode and drive the vehicle until all of the wheel pressure sensors are registered.

Putting the TPMS in to learning mode requires making a connection to ground of the TPMS/DLC pins 5 times within 10 seconds. This involves either a paperclip, wire, or a simple switch tool such as this one: http://www.ntxtools.com/network-tool-warehouse/OTC-3831-p-11105.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Here is how you do that:

1. Locate the TPMS interface plug. This is a white female plug that is attached to the OBD II wire loom under the dash right about where your right knee would be when sitting in the driver's seat. You may have to cut the tape that is holding the TPMS interface plug to the OBD II wire loom.
2. Attach the Nissan or other switch tool TPMS Reset Device (http://www.ntxtools.com/network-tool-warehouse/OTC-3831-p-11105.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) or stick a paper clip into the interface plug. If you use the paper clip be sure it is small enough to fit in and don't jam it in there hard.
3. Turn the car on.
4. If you used the a switch tool reset device, connect the alligator clip end to any exposed ground (metal). Squeeze the trigger on the device 5 times within 10 seconds.
5. If you used a paper clip then tap the end of the paper clip (the end NOT in the interface plug, duh!) on any exposed ground (metal) 5 times. The bracket that holds the OBD II socket is in just the right position.
6. If you completed step 4/5 then the TPMS warning light on the instrument cluster will start to slowly flash and you have activated the TPMS relearn process. If it flashes fast that's not right and you need to repeat the process from step 3.

Here is the step by step process:

1) set different tire pressures in each wheel: RF to 34psi, LF to 31psi, LR to 28 psi and RR to 26psi;
2) turn car on;
3) perform the OBD3 procedure to reset and put the tpms into learning mode - tpms warning light should be blinking slowly;
4) drive vehicle around at speeds greater than 30 mph until the tpms warning light stops blinking and turns off. Note a short time later, the tpms warning light should go on and stay on (since one or more of your wheels will be lower that 28psi);
5) disconnect the wire from the connector; and
6) re-inflate the tire pressure to spec. and drive around until the tpms warning light turns off.

I just changed my tires, and was hoping to use the method above to re-program the TPMS.

Unfortunately, I quickly hit a dead end. There doesn't seem to be a TPMS/DLC connector under the dash. There is definitely an easy to find OBD plug, but no other plug. I even removed a plastic panel that allows more access to everything under the dash (including the wire harness that leads to the OBD plug), but I don't see any other plug.

Oddly enough, there are two wires that come off the OBD wire harness and lead to a "speaker unit" (part 28152-3NA0A) right under the dash (right above your lap). Seems like a strange place for a speaker.....

Ok, this is now really off topic. Sorry.

Anyway, it seems that the "speaker unit" I mention above is used for the start-up sound, as well as driver alert sounds.

While I still don't know of a way to manually tell a LEAF to relearn new TPMS sensors, user Shaka pointed me toward this tool:
http://www.ateqtpm.com/products/tpms-personal-use/ateq-quickset

It's available from Amazon for $150, or if you live in Canada, you can get it from Partsource for $135.

Summary: It works great with a 2012 LEAF. It allows you to read your currently programmed sensor IDs, and to program new sensor IDs. The only weakness to this tool is you MUST get those "new" sensor IDs from somewhere (either your dealer, or hopefully they came with your new tires). See the reviews at Amazon for more information.

Long version:
- The tool's software does NOT have direct support for the 2012 LEAF.
- Selecting the 2011 LEAF as my vehicle (in the tool's software), did NOT work. That was surprising. I wonder if this even works with a 2011 LEAF (when the software is set for a 2011 LEAF).
- After selecting a 2012 Nissan Juke as my vehicle, the device worked perfect. It seemed to also work properly when set for a 2012 Murano.
- I haven't swapped tiers yet (it's still winter), but I did do the following test:
1. Used the tool to read my current sensor IDs
2. Used the tool to program fake sensor IDs into my car
3. Drove until the TPMS system complained about a problem (which takes a surprising amount of driving).
4. Used the tool to program the proper sensor IDs back into the car
5. The TPMS warning light immediately turned off.

Once you're used to the software (which is a bit clunky, but I don't think it's as bad as some of the reviewers on Amazon make it out to be), the process of re-programming your sensor IDs takes just a couple of minutes. Not a free system, but not bad for $135. No more trips to the dealer to pay them to reprogram the TPMS system!

EricBayArea said:
I'm not certain about brands being compatible, but I do know that a car with TPMS can only associate itself with 1 set of 4 tires. This means that if you want to put TPMS in your winter rims/tires you will need to have the tire shop pair the new ones with your car. This becomes an issue if you swap the set yourself as you cannot do the pairing yourself (without special tools). This is also an issue for people who like to keep full-size spare tires and rotate it into service to get even wear (not so much with the Leaf, obviously).

I have a set of winter rims/tires for my other car for trips to the mountains in the winter. Since I don't need them on a daily basis, I swap them on and off myself. It was an easy decision for me NOT to put TPMS sensors in my winter setup as the cost and inconvenience to pair the setup each time is not worth it to me. When I first drive off with my winter setup on the low pressure light blinks and then eventually becomes a steady, solid light. I've known people to take a small piece of electrical tape and cover it up if it bothers them :) Once I switch back and drive off in with the OEM wheels/tires with TPMS sensors the light goes away within the first few miles.

I don't think that answers your original question, but hopefully the info is helpful.

Thanks for the useful post. Been reading a lot about the TPMS as different cars are different. I'm looking into larger wheels/tires (17x7's) and won't be running TPMS sensors. On my 2008 Civic for example, TPMS sensors had different part No's for different size wheels. I.E. 16,17,18's all used different sensors as they triggered the TPMS light not on pressure readings, but on rotational differences because a low tire causes more RPM's of the tire.

Good thing about my new wheels/tires...I won't have to worry about mucking up a TPMS sensor with the tire goo if I do get a flat since they won't be in there, and I won't have to worry about getting an extra set of sensors for my new wheels, or switching them back and forth. I'll just think of my TPMS light as my "Performance Tires Mounted" light. =)

Hi,
I just swapped wheels between my 2012 and 2013 Leaf's. (longer story)
No programming required on the 2013 model year. I just drive a few miles and no TPMS warning lights. All is working.
It seems the car auto detects the sensors.

I was mistaken about the 2012 Leaf auto learning, but the 2013 definitely did.

I don't know about the 2013 Leaf, but the 2012 does NOT auto learn new tires. A lot of people initially think it does, because it takes a LONG time to produce a warning condition (flashing the TPMS light when the car is first turned on). For me, it would take 2 to three DAYS (of normal driving) to produce the error.

anlson said:
I don't know about the 2013 Leaf, but the 2012 does NOT auto learn new tires. A lot of people initially think it does, because it takes a LONG time to produce a warning condition (flashing the TPMS light when the car is first turned on). For me, it would take 2 to three DAYS (of normal driving) to produce the error.

You are correct. The 2012 did not auto learn. The 2013 did.
I posted too soon after the 2013 worked. :oops:

TPMS help us by giving warning that at least one or more tires are significantly under-inflated, which is the unsafe driving condition.

Back