Gad Pedal Stuck - After flooring accelerator

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

easyas314

Today while on the freeway in the carpool - riding behind a slow car, i decided to exit the lane and pass car in front of me -- I floored the gas pedal (complete contact with floor - partially out of frustration i will admit). After releasing my foot off the gas, i noticed that the accelerator pedal was stuck -- leaving the car in max acceleration. I was able to break and could control the car fairly well ... but immediately after releasing the break the car continued accelerating all the way to max (gas pedal still stuck to the floor throughout). I hit the gas pedal multiple times in an attempt to get the pedal to bounce back up -- only after about 10-15 times of hitting the pedal and the brakes did i hear the gas pedal "pop" back up and was able to regain complete control of the car.

I then pulled out of the freeway and retried the same thing (hitting the gas pedal all the way to the floor) and was able to reproduce the issue. Again, hitting the accelerator pedal several times finally caused the pedal to pop back up.

I will be taking my car to the dealership tomorrow. Anyone experience anything similar to this? After googling this issue, im glad i ran into the emergency shut down procedure.

2014 Nissan Leaf (SV)

Depressing the brake pedal will cancel the accelerator input. Just try and push both at a stoplight--nothing happens. Just keep that in mind if it happens driving to the dealership.

It happened to me, but I was using an aftermarket Winter floor mat, and hadn't trimmed it away under the base of the pedal, so the pedal got caught in a groove in the mat. Is that the case with you?

Nope, never happened to me.
LeftieBiker said:
It happened to me, but I was using an aftermarket Winter floor mat, and hadn't trimmed it away under the base of the pedal, so the pedal got caught in a groove in the mat. Is that the case with you?
Yep. I was going to ask if any extra floor mats or improperly secured factory ones or some other foreign object trapped the pedal.

It's less scary when you understand, as I did, that the controls are "drive by wire" and the throttle gets cut off when the brakes are applied, but it still wasn't pleasant.

2016 model here. Exact same thing happened today. Had to hit the break and restart the car in the middle of the road. Nissan, are you there?

theplasma said:
2016 model here. Exact same thing happened today. Had to hit the break and restart the car in the middle of the road. Nissan, are you there?
This forum isn’t a channel to report defects to Nissan.

Per the manual (on page 9-15 in the Technical and consumer information section of my '13 manual),
REPORTING SAFETY DEFECTS
For USA
If you believe that your vehicle has a defect which could cause a crash or could cause injury or death, you should immediately inform the Na- tional Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in addition to notifying NISSAN.

If NHTSA receives similar complaints, it may open an investigation, and if it finds that a safety defect exists in a group of vehicles, it may order a recall and remedy campaign. However, NHTSA cannot become involved in individual problems between you, your dealer, or NISSAN…
There’s more info there, including contact info. You can file a safety complaint with NHTSA via https://www.safercar.gov/.

At minimum, you should look for objects that might be entrapping the pedal first and try to reproduce the problem. If no user error, you ought to take it to a dealer to get the incident reported and have them troubleshoot, if possible. You may want to report to Nissan even though the dealer visit is going to be in Nissan's system. If the problem is resolved, file a safety complaint w/NHTSA with what they did. If there's no resolution and it's not user error, file a safety complaint anyway w/as much detail as possible.

Back