Acceleration

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turnover

I just drove my 2013 Leaf home using the brakes. The car began accelerating on its own about within the last hour. I tried to contact Nissan, but their line is off for the weekend.

Check the floor mat to see if it's wedged under the accelerator pedal. That's a common issue with aftermarket mats, but the OEM mat can also get unhooked and bunched up.

Thanks. When I cleaned my WeatherTech floor mat Friday it apparently got the lip hung up somewhere over the accelerator and snapped down on it this afternoon :roll:

Just a reminder to those reading this: aside from remembering to check those mats (I was a victim of this as well), remember that the brake pedal will shut off the motor, so while it's somewhat scary, there is no reason to lose control of the car if you keep thinking.

I ended up cutting off the part of the WeatherTech mat that lies near the accelerator pedal. More dirt gets under the mat, but the risk is pretty much eliminated.

LeftieBiker said:
Just a reminder to those reading this: aside from remembering to check those mats (I was a victim of this as well), remember that the brake pedal will shut off the motor, so while it's somewhat scary, there is no reason to lose control of the car if you keep thinking.

I ended up cutting off the part of the WeatherTech mat that lies near the accelerator pedal. More dirt gets under the mat, but the risk is pretty much eliminated.
+1, I also ended up cutting an inch or so off my WeatherTech mat, scary until I figured out what was happening!

Back