Reduction Gear Oil

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah this Matic S seems to be an odd duck. A few brands seem to claim compatibility but if you dig deeper they seem to shy away from use during the warranty period. Probably because of Nissan's express language to ONLY use their product. Iirc, Magnusson-Moss Act thereby requires them to provide the fluid free of charge for required maintenance. Lo and behold, the first required drain interval is specified AFTER the warranty period expires . :lol:

Nubo said:
Yeah this Matic S seems to be an odd duck. A few brands seem to claim compatibility but if you dig deeper they seem to shy away from use during the warranty period. Probably because of Nissan's express language to ONLY use their product. Iirc, Magnusson-Moss Act thereby requires them to provide the fluid free of charge for required maintenance. Lo and behold, the first required drain interval is specified AFTER the warranty period expires . :lol:

I had not thought about the Magnusson-Moss Act ramifications so that explains the long drain interval in the owner manual. I am working on other vehicles now, but will probably change the reduction gear oil in the LEAF as soon as I have time since it is approaching 52,000 miles.

arnis said:
Was it really that bad at 30 000km? How much was on the magnets?
Did you get oil from the dealer?
Was the car driven in Lithuania all the time?
Do you have some nice pictures to motivate Americans? :lol:

No, its an import from Milan. Sadly i didnt bother to make photos, but all of the dealerships mechanics were taking them :D well, it was black as used engine oil and therewas maybe 5mm of particles on the plugs. I was really surprised why, because that reduction gear is as simple as it gets, very few moving parts and no high temp...

Anyways, the change cost just 10eur/12usd at the dealership :)

Kristis said:
arnis said:
Was it really that bad at 30 000km? How much was on the magnets?
Did you get oil from the dealer?
Was the car driven in Lithuania all the time?
Do you have some nice pictures to motivate Americans? :lol:

No, its an import from Milan. Sadly i didnt bother to make photos, but all of the dealerships mechanics were taking them :D well, it was black as used engine oil and therewas maybe 5mm of particles on the plugs. I was really surprised why, because that reduction gear is as simple as it gets, very few moving parts and no high temp...

This 5mm of metal must be wrong. that is almost 1/4 inch of metal filings.... If that was the case, then you need a new transmission or engine....

any guides or pics or videos of this DIY? I'd love to tackle my 2014 SV since I've done routine oil changes and such in previous cars. thanks to anyone that can post some more details.

well, it was black as used engine oil and therewas maybe 5mm of particles on the plugs. I was really surprised why, because that reduction gear is as simple as it gets, very few moving parts and no high temp...

IIRC, most "Dino" gear oils are black normally because of the additives, or turn black quickly.

powersurge said:
Kristis said:

This 5mm of metal must be wrong. that is almost 1/4 inch of metal filings.... If that was the case, then you need a new transmission or engine....

I've changed transmission and differential lube on a few vehicles, and while it seems alarming, it is not unusual in my experience. A significant amount of wear metals is a normal product of the run-in process where the gears polish and uniquely mate with each other, bits of flashing loosen from the castings, etc... This all happens in the first few thousand miles. And once you replace the lube, there is still particles lying on the bottom of the case that will find their way to the plug to scare you at the 2nd service. :) In the service manual there is no discussion of measuring or evaluating the amount of debris on the plug; simply a note to wash it off with solvent prior to replacing the plug and re-filling the case.

^^ Agree. Not too alarming if you have seen other vehicles. Yet its a bit surprising to see such amount on electric car with no heat and lower wear and tear :)

Back