totaled leaf with good battery

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
powersurge said:
SageBrush said:
powersurge said:
I think the issue here is that nowadays, the insurance companies may be finding it more profitable to total a car, hand you a check, and send the car to auction.
Some evidence to support your conspiracy theory would be most welcome. Keep in mind that owners reserve the right to take compensation and keep the car.

And when was the last time you read of the multitudes of people being forced to total their cars ? All I read are reports of owners demanding that the car be totaled and the insurance company putting up a fight.

No conspiracy theory here. Just business on the part of the insurance companies.... Especially with EVs.

I think Leafs and other EVs have been targeted to be totaled a lot more than regular cars due to the potential of rapidly swelling repair costs after the repairs have been started. Then the insurance suddenly is on the hook for a skyrocketing repair bill.

I have seen Teslas be totaled just for going over a rock and having undercarriage damage..
Your "thinking" is a flight of fancy.

The insurance company totals the car when the repair bill exceeds their 'car totaled' cost. Not before. Not on a guess; or a worry; or a speculation. It does happen that once a repair shop starts to disassemble a car they find more damage and the repair estimate increases, but the insurance is not 'on the hook' for the repair. They decide whether to authorize a higher bill or total the car.

SageBrush said:
powersurge said:
SageBrush said:
Some evidence to support your conspiracy theory would be most welcome. Keep in mind that owners reserve the right to take compensation and keep the car.

And when was the last time you read of the multitudes of people being forced to total their cars ? All I read are reports of owners demanding that the car be totaled and the insurance company putting up a fight.

No conspiracy theory here. Just business on the part of the insurance companies.... Especially with EVs.

I think Leafs and other EVs have been targeted to be totaled a lot more than regular cars due to the potential of rapidly swelling repair costs after the repairs have been started. Then the insurance suddenly is on the hook for a skyrocketing repair bill.

I have seen Teslas be totaled just for going over a rock and having undercarriage damage..
Your "thinking" is a flight of fancy.

The insurance company totals the car when the repair bill exceeds their 'car totaled' cost. Not before. Not on a guess; or a worry; or a speculation. It does happen that once a repair shop starts to disassemble a car they find more damage and the repair estimate increases, but the insurance is not 'on the hook' for the repair. They decide whether to authorize a higher bill or total the car.
Actually, most insurance companies declare the car a total loss when the repair costs hit around 70-75% of the car's value. Their general thought is if it is that high, there may be additional damage that may get missed during the repairs that could pose a safety issue in the future.

This is why so many cars are totaled, although, some things that used to mean the car was automatically totaled, such a bent frame no longer means the car will be totaled.

If you still have the car, how much for the passenger front fender, passenger front door and passenger rear door, I live in Concord, CA

Back