2016-2017 model year 30 kWh bar losers and capacity losses

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Phatcat73 said:
On the bright side I did get my Model 3 invite today... 3-6 week delivery
Are you a Tesla car owner already ? If not you may be one of the very first non-owners to receive an invite.

Ordered on line a couple minutes after they opened up the books. Agree, I think I am in one of the earlier online, non owner batches. Will hold off a little as we're not in a rush and expect details on AWD in the next month or 2 prior to deciding. Still should get the full EV tax credit if I take delivery by end of Q3.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
SageBrush said:
Phatcat73 said:
On the bright side I did get my Model 3 invite today... 3-6 week delivery
Are you a Tesla car owner already ? If not you may be one of the very first non-owners to receive an invite.

I got my invite 3 weeks ago. Also non-owner, afternoon line-waiter. Don't have VIN yet. :(
Congrats to the two of you !

I reserved online before the start of reveal and have not received an invite yet. Since I am waiting for AWD the invite wait does not affect me.

I got my invitation to configure yesterday. Non owner signed up online as soon as it opened. I am waiting for non black interior. Also not sure if it is worth it to get the LR battery at 9k.

jbuntz said:
I got my invitation to configure yesterday. Non owner signed up online as soon as it opened. I am waiting for non black interior. Also not sure if it is worth it to get the LR battery at 9k.
I've thought about the $9k battery upgrade option also and decided to skip it since our driving habits never extend past 300 miles in a day, and I don't mind the short Supercharger stops the smaller battery will require.

lorenfb said:
Since you have been helpful in providing the forum data about your 30kWh Leaf and since you indicated your frequent use of QCs,
it would be helpful to supplement the 40kWh data Dave provided on his 2018 Leaf:

If those with a 30kWh Leaf who QC could complement the helpful data provided here; viewtopic.php?f=27&t=25519&start=90#p523924
by Dave's data gathering on his 2018 40kWh Leaf, i.e. internal battery resistance data, by performing the same type of test (about 10-15
seconds at the start of a QC), that would result in having battery data on all the Leaf batteries, 24/30/40 kWhs. If that test results in the
battery resistance of the 30 kWh battery being about the same as both the 24 & 40 kWh batteries ( ~ 50 - 60 mohms), then it could be
implied that the additional prolonged 30 kWh battery heat over time (like the 40 kWh) results from a higher battery thermal resistance
(lower heat conductance) to ambient, e.g. resulting from a higher density battery volume. This would help explain the higher battery
degradation some 30kWh Leaf owners have experienced over the 24 kWh battery, and what some 40 kWh Leaf owners will probably
have to confront over time, which in hindsight necessitated TMS more so as the battery density increased over the 24 kWh battery.
http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=25519&start=90#p523924
Thanks for your help.

Posted here: http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=25519&p=524787#p524787

Hope that helps!

SageBrush said:
I've thought about the $9k battery upgrade option also and decided to skip it since our driving habits never extend past 300 miles in a day, and I don't mind the short Supercharger stops the smaller battery will require.
The LR will charge faster at SuperChargers. In my S, I figure this adds 5-10 minutes every time we stop at a SC on a long trip. My wife talked me out of getting a 90D, and I wish she hadn't (especially since she's more sensitive about the time charging takes on a long trip).

jlv said:
SageBrush said:
The LR will charge faster at SuperChargers. In my S, I figure this adds 5-10 minutes every time we stop at a SC on a long trip. My wife talked me out of getting a 90D, and I wish she hadn't (especially since she's more sensitive about the time charging takes on a long trip).

My wife's the same way. That 5-10 minutes saved per charging stop, plus fewer charging stops on a 400 mile road trip, just to NOT have to hear another word about how faster the trip would've been using a gas-car is worth every penny!!

Some things just don't have a monetary value.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
jlv said:
SageBrush said:

My wife's the same way. That 5-10 minutes saved per charging stop, plus fewer charging stops on a 400 mile road trip, just to NOT have to hear another word about how faster the trip would've been using a gas-car is worth every penny!!

Some things just don't have a monetary value.
I'll have to learn to praise my wife every time she wants to stop to buy a coffee and empty her bladder. It provides easy cover for the surreptitious Supercharging going on at the same time.

Joking aside, the time spent charging that is net greater than we stop anyway is trivial if anything at all. That will be true in a Model 3 SR as well since I figure about 1 kWh net per minute, so about 4.5 miles a minute added during charging. 10 minutes at the charge stop should do it for us during our most frequent non-local trip, easily within the bounds of our delays anyway.

When going on a long (400+) mile trip, we start out with the S charged to 100% (255mi) and make about 160-200 miles on the first leg to the first SC (it depends upon the direction of travel; e.g., going to Maine vs. NY). With the 75D, the car starts charging at a max of 99kW (~330mi/hour) rather than 120kW, as a larger battery car would do. Ideally we want to reach the SC with as little as ~20mi range left, as that allows the car to charge at a faster rate. To minimize your travel time, you then want to charge no more than is needed to reach the next SC plus some reserve. (Thankfully the Tesla Nav does a great job of this, including including elevation changes in it's estimates, but it doesn't really work well to estimate the effects of inclement weather and head winds - Winds and Elevation helps with that). So we end up at the SC for between 20-30 minutes, rather than 15-20 minutes if we had a larger battery (90).

Depending upon the length of the trip, there might be 3 or 4 SC stops. That 5-10 minutes begins to add up.

new datum.

Today I did a full rebalancing charger after a few days of QC'ing to generate data for lorenfb. prior to my QC runs, my SOH was ~90%, with peak GID's of ~332. This morning's reading was SOH of 92% (peak GID's of 334)!

So I'm going to put less faith in the SOH value as a gauge of battery health, and trust the reported GID's instead - even though that has been slowly rising since Jan!

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
new datum.

Today I did a full rebalancing charger after a few days of QC'ing to generate data for lorenfb. prior to my QC runs, my SOH was ~90%, with peak GID's of ~332. This morning's reading was SOH of 92% (peak GID's of 334)!

So I'm going to put less faith in the SOH value as a gauge of battery health, and trust the reported GID's instead - even though that has been slowly rising since Jan!

I looked at ahr as my gauge. I hit 363 GIDs 3 days before my S30 was killed. Not sure I can bank on that with nearly 30,000 miles on the clock.

Ahr was a somewhat more reasonable 81.31. Also don't have to have a full charge to get a reading.

I decided to Check my 30Kw 2016 Leaf battery after seeing reports of accelerated degradation. I Was pleased to find 99.97% SOH (LeafSpy) after two years and 24,442 miles of use in northern Ohio. We L2 Charge daily to ~ 90% then drive off within 1/2 hour. It appears these batteries do well in this climate if owners manual precautions (they are a pain) are heeded. Battery data from 4/19/2018:

SOH = 99.97 %
Temp = 62.8 F
347 volts
AHR = 79.46
1 QC 791L1/L2 Charges
24,442 miles
HX = 92.51%
SOC = 28.7%
84 GID
4mi/KwH

willbur4 said:
I decided to Check my 30Kw 2016 Leaf battery after seeing reports of accelerated degradation. I Was pleased to find 99.97% SOH (LeafSpy) after two years and 24,442 miles of use in northern Ohio. We L2 Charge daily to ~ 90% then drive off within 1/2 hour. It appears these batteries do well in this climate if owners manual precautions (they are a pain) are heeded. Battery data from 4/19/2018:

SOH = 99.97 %
Temp = 62.8 F
347 volts
AHR = 79.46
1 QC 791L1/L2 Charges
24,442 miles
HX = 92.51%
SOC = 28.7%
84 GID
4mi/KwH

Your avoiding 100% SOC has paid off!

Your SOH is good but Hx, not so much. Wouldn't lose sleep over that. The pitfall of no top end balancing. To determine how important top end balancing you need to weigh longevity over range. If you don't need a few extra miles of range, just keep doing what you are doing.

Ahr is 96.5%. Its all conjecture here but I consider this the most important metric. I would also take more readings of your pack as this single snapshot could be a bit misleading. The numbers bounce around (if you don't have a 2018) all the time so more samples just rounds out the view a bit.

Back