Battery temperature maxed out

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SageBrush said:
OP: That kind of behavior is going to degrade your battery quickly.

I thought the degradation was caused by a combination of:
- high temp
- AND/OR high state of charge
- TIMES the duration (number of hours spent in the above conditions)

That is, lots of time spent at 100% charge will degrade the battery (like people who charge to 100% as soon as they get home); and lots of time spent at 8 or 9 temp bars will degrade the battery (like people in Phoenix). And many hours with both high SOH plus high temp would be the worst situation.

But, if the damage were proportional to number of hours, then having high temp or having 100% charge for only a few hours, a few times a year, would make little difference... at least, that was what I thought I'd read here.

- high temp

That is, lots of time spent at 100% charge will degrade the battery (like people who charge to 100% as soon as they get home); and lots of time spent at 8 or 9 temp bars will degrade the battery (like people in Phoenix). And many hours with both high SOH plus high temp would be the worst situation.

But, if the damage were proportional to number of hours, then having high temp or having 100% charge for only a few hours, a few times a year, would make little difference... at least, that was what I thought I'd read here.

That's essentially true, although lots of time spent at 100% indicated charge in cold weather seems to do little damage compared to a few hours in the Red zone in hot weather.

LeftieBiker said:
- high temp

That's essentially true, although lots of time spent at 100% indicated charge in cold weather seems to do little damage compared to a few hours in the Red zone in hot weather.

That's consistent with the general Lithium Ion storage guidelines here:
https://batteryuniversity.com/index.php/learn/article/how_to_store_batteries

It appears the Leaf batteries have a much better lifespan than those shown on their site, but the general guidelines seem to still hold true. For ideal lifespan, store at 40% and at cold temperatures (just above freezing), if at all possible.

specialgreen said:
High SoC at high temperature is not a double whammy, it is a logarithmic whammy.

SageBrush said:
specialgreen said:
High SoC at high temperature is not a double whammy, it is a logarithmic whammy.

I did one triple-DCFC trip (336 miles in 5 hours + 90 minutes charge-time), at about 70F ambient. I started with 6 bars, plus one from the motors, and each DCFC added one. I did the last 80 miles with 10 bars, where the blue temp bar on the right overlaps half of the lower red bar on the left. But the car was never over 80% SOC for more than 15 minutes.

^^ I would not worry about very infrequent trips. Even if (and this is just wild speculation) your driving at 10 bars temperature has 10x the usual daily degradation, that is only 10 days less use over the life of the car. I'd expect once a week or more often to be readily apparent accelerated battery degradation.

Back