Charging Timer Doesn't Always Work

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

takeittothemax

Hi all,

Apologies if this is answered elsewhere. I have a Nissan Leaf S 2013 with the quick charger. When I set my charging timer and plug in my car (Level 2 charging) mmediately afterwards, sometimes, the car starts charging immediately as if there is no timer. Other times, it properly delays and shows the three blinking lights to indicate the timer is set.

I can fix the issue by unplugging the charger and plugging it back into the car, so it's mostly an annoyance. And to confirm, it's not a case where sometimes the timer is only an hour a way so the car charges immediately, it doesn't matter how many hours it is until the time I've set the timer for.

Am i doing something wrong? Thanks for any input.

Wow. What a response, eh? It just happens that I am trying to find a solution to this same problem only it doesn't help if I unplug the charger and then plug it back in. I turned the car on and went into the SETTINGS where I made sure I had plenty of time between now-the time I set the timer for--and early morning when I wanted the car to be charged. Nothing works. I had this problem about a year ago about this same time of year when it was cold. I would like to be able to use my timer again, but for the life of me can't figure out what's going on. This problem is probably lost in this maze of forum talk, but if anyone happens to read this and has a suggestion I would appreciate it.

OOPS!
Let me post a update to my above entry. About an hour or so after I wrote that, I peeked out at my car to see that the blue lights, indicating my car was charging, were out! This is what I think happened. It is night and completely dark. When I was in the car setting the Charging Timer I accidentally hit the Charge Timer Over-ride button. This made it impossible for me to turn off the blue charging lights and, instead, get the
blue lights indicating the charging timer was set. At least this is what I'm going with. I'll know for sure in the morning when I find my car has charged to 100%--or not.
I guess a lot of problems with the car written about in these forums are due to pilot error--or operator error. I'm sorry to say, that's been
my experience.
I'm very proud of my Leaf. I've had it now for two years and it has been a loyal, reliable friend . I keep my eye out for battery degradation and,
although I have lost a bar on my battery life display, I've haven't seen it show up in my mileage audits.
Hope yours is serving you well.

Well, the next morning my Leaf did not charge as I was hoping it would. The charging timer didn't work so I'm back to square one.
If only someone made a timer that I could plug in between my tubo cord and the 240v socket.

If you have a LEAF S model, the only time that can be set is the end (or departure) time so the car calculates when to start charging. It may start charging immediately if needed to be fully charged by the set time. If you have SV or SL model, then timers are set on the navigation system (two timers are available) and both start and end times can be set. To set end time only, a start time must not be set. I need more information about timer settings and EVSE (charging voltage and current) to provide additional suggestions. The timer(s) must also be enabled for desired days of the week on SV and SL or they will not be active.

Thank you for your comments. Yes, I have a model S. I have had my car for about two years and have used the timer off and on during that time. I'm perplexed about why it should stop working all of a sudden. The S model timer is simple. Like you noted, you set the time you want the charge finished by. I set my timer for 7:30 in the morning. The menu indicates it will take two hours to reach the percentage I want. I think it was two hours in this case. So, around eight o'clock that evening I tried to set the timer as I have done many times before, but the car starts to charge instantly. Usually I get the dancing display of blue lights you come to expect when the timer is set--but not this time. It won't be a problem around this time of year now that it is getting cooler/colder in the evening. It is, however, nice to have in the summer when you can
charge during the cooler part of the day which is early morning.
Again, thanks for your suggestions.

Sometimes my brain is not user friendly. I am embarrassed to write this, but it really is my duty to set the record straight. Hopefully, it will help someone in the future.
I was charging the car and my mother was with me. I happened to bring up my problem with the charge timer not working. My mother then asked why the time displayed showed 'a.m.' when it was the middle of the afternoon. I set the time to 'p.m.' and my problem with the timer seems to have been solved!
I had mentioned that the timer seemed to be effected by the cold weather, but in fact, the colder weather just happened to coincide with
the daylight savings time.
My 92 year old mother solved my charge timer problem!

This happens every year, FWIW. Now, for a little jargon update: The "charger" is on board the car, and the cable with box attached that provides 120-240 volts for that charger is called an "EVSE" (Electric vehicle Service Equipment) or "charging cable." The only external charger is a DC Fast Charge station, which bypasses the onboard charger and charges the pack directly, through the larger charging port.

I know this is an older thread, but this just happened to me.
I guess when it is colder it takes longer to charge the battery and I had the timer end time set too soon.
So either extend the end time or take the full charge priority off.

Juicebox is really nice to have.
You can set charging time window or in my case where the electricity price is same 24hrs, I just set the target % - ie, 34% current to 80% target.

Back