Vibration / Resonance in my Leaf - nobody can find cause

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Robkerr said:
We test drove a 2017 Leaf today, done 21k miles. My wife and I both felt a dizzyness and nausousness in the short 20min journey. We couldn't figure it out. It was horrible and like nothing I've experienced in any car before. Took a good while to get over it. Really disappointed now cos we really wanted to buy a Leaf as our 2nd car. No way we can get one now!

There is no noise. Only vibration and resonance. At the time I blamed it on hard suspension, however, the suspension seems to get good reviews. I didn't see how it could be the motor because surely an electric motor should be infinitely smoother than say the rattling Land Rover diesel we are accostomed to.

Have you found anything more out about the problem? I shall contact a Nissan dealer in an attempt to find an explanation

Did you have a window open? Aerodynamic cars are particularly susceptible to Helmholtz Resonance ("wind throb"); it's common in many newer vehicles and can produce the physiological symptoms you describe because it affects the ears. Typically you can remove the effect by opening another window on the opposite side of the car.

If it seems tied to speed / axle RPM and it's not a tire or wheel, I would suspect a bad CV joint but that will not be easy to prove/disprove.

Edit: You can check the rubber boot to see if it's torn... but I have had a brand new CV installed that caused vibration without any noise/clicks..etc.

On my Leaf I have a removable roof rack. If the rack is on the car, but no ski box is on the rack, then the rack buzzes, which makes the dome light fixture inside the Leaf buzz. If I press up on the dome light, it stops buzzing (if I add the ski box, or if I remove the rack bars the buzzing goes away also).

So... try pressing up on the dome light.

Back