2018 Leaf - Charger throws fault on 240V

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EVDRIVER said:
...Design of the unit dictates a properly installed and inspected 240V, 50A circuit, anyone that does that won't have an issue. End of story, not sure how much easier it can be. It's not:

Designed to be used on 208, with other outlet types, etc.

There are no conspiracies, etc other than for those that do not use it as intended. ...

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence. And failure to account for a common voltage standard in an ELECTRIC CAR component, is a fair example of incompetence that is avoided by other makers of EVSE.

Design of the unit dictates a properly installed and inspected 240V, 50A circuit, anyone that does that won't have an issue. End of story, not sure how much easier it can be.

Except that the correct answer is "a properly installed and inspected 240V, 40A or 50A circuit." There is no actual need for a 50 amp circuit - they are just more common.

So you are making this determination? Would you personally guarantee to every person that installs a 40A breaker that they will pass inspection? When they fail will you pay for the modifications? I doubt it. I know this mistake has caused failed inspections for people so why is it that some seem certain this is some iron clad standard that will always be approved? Simply because one inspector will pass this does not mean it will be failed by another. Not one competent electrician I know will even install a circuit this way without prior written sign off by the inspector in advance because of prior issues like this. I don’t get why anyone would not use a 50A circuit unless their panel was maxed in which case they goes even further to the argument why it should not be done.

I will be notifying BBB for Nissan including faulty EVSE w Leaf since mid 2018 models.
Hopefully I will get better response from Nissan since none of the tech support from Nissan is even aware of this problem.
I am just surprised more peoples aren't reporting abt., this issue.

paradisedj said:
I will be notifying BBB for Nissan including faulty EVSE w Leaf since mid 2018 models.
Hopefully I will get better response from Nissan since none of the tech support from Nissan is even aware of this problem.

Your angry outburst shows that you have not followed the correct procedure for working on a problem. (Whatever is its....)

I am sure that Nissan would be able to help you if you took the time to take your new car, AND the Nissan-provided charger to them. They would plug it into their outlet, and determine if there is a problem with the charger OR your electrical installation. It is very easy to threaten when you have not followed through...

powersurge said:
paradisedj said:

Your angry outburst shows that you have not followed the correct procedure for working on a problem. (Whatever is its....)

I am sure that Nissan would be able to help you if you took the time to take your new car, AND the Nissan-provided charger to them. They would plug it into their outlet, and determine if there is a problem with the charger OR your electrical installation. It is very easy to threaten when you have not followed through...

Already took the car and EVSE provided w the car to the so called "Nissan EV Certified" dealer recommended by Nissan USA. Not only they had no 240V outlet where they can test the cords they had less knowledge than i did regarding this issue.
Not even sure why i am bothering to even respond to your ignorant comment but obviously you have no idea how much trouble i went through to root cause of this EVSE issue.
Pls., don't comment unless you have helpful information.

paradisedj said:
What a shame.

I am not going to pay another $200.00 (at least) top of $800.00 i had to pay electrician to install 240v outlet for third party product.
If comes to that I will make sure Nissan pay for the third party charging cable. If they refuse I will return my car with lemon law.

Thanks for the prompt reply tho.
I doubt you can get away with the lemon law since the EVSE is an accessory. Like I said earlier, buy a third party EVSE and sell the Nissan one. Someone here would probably want it.

I just want to reply to this thread because I was also scratching my head as to why my car wouldn’t charge on the new 220 outlet I installed. Someone in this thread mentioned a 3rd party charger so I also purchased it and sure enough it works without a problem. Below is the exact charger I bought.

Zencar EV Electric Car Vehicle Charge Cable 100-240VAC 50A ZC-EV-32P-V3 Portable

Since there was a new post to this old thread, I will confirm that the Nissan dual-voltage EVSE which came with my 2019 SL Plus will allow the car to charge from the properly-installed 14-50 receptacle at my house (nominal 240 volts) and draw about 27 amperes. However, it will not let the car charge from the properly-installed 14-50 receptacle at my workshop garage which is on a nominal 208-volt circuit and usually runs at about 212 volts. The EVSE will show all appropriate indicator lights until the car starts to draw current, then it shuts down. The car charges fine on 208 volts from my Clipper Creek EVSE and draws about 30 amperes. I have also confirmed the Nissan EVSE will let the car charge at 120 volts and about 12 amperes with the adapter in place.

Howdy! 2019 SL owner. Love the car. And I, too, am having a problem with the EVSE (or the receptacle) that came with the Leaf. I had an electrician install a dedicated 240v outlet in the garage...the charging port is mounted on the wall just outside the garage, in my driveway. For the first few months after I bought the car, charging at Level 2 was no problem...then it started to occasionally give the flashing three-light warning. As it was only sporadic, I didn't worry about it until, a couple of months later, I couldn't charge any longer without the flashing going on (the EVSE still worked plugged into a regular 120v outlet at Level 1 charging). Worse, I smelled an ozone odor near the outlet. Nissan replaced the EVSE (thanks, Nissan!), but the problem still was there. So the electrician came...from some wires burnt out in the outlet and replaced the wiring. All was fine...then the same problem started again two weeks ago, with, again, the ozone/burning smell. He came, replaced again. He thinks it's the EVSE that's at fault and that I need to get a different brand, as he insists the wiring is right for this amperage (30 amps, used a 10 gauge wire). My dealership's rep thinks there must be a problem with the gage or thickness / insulation of the wiring.

I've heard of range anxiety, but now I'm experiencing "charging anxiety", as I expect the same thing to happen and I, frankly, don't much like the iea of wiring that burns out in my outlet and might cause a house fire, y'know? I know nothing about electrical wiring, etc.

Thoughts? Feedback? Guidance? Anything anyone can say that would help would be much appreciated!

JeffGamer said:
Howdy! 2019 SL owner. Love the car. And I, too, am having a problem with the EVSE (or the receptacle) that came with the Leaf. I had an electrician install a dedicated 240v outlet in the garage...the charging port is mounted on the wall just outside the garage, in my driveway. For the first few months after I bought the car, charging at Level 2 was no problem...then it started to occasionally give the flashing three-light warning. As it was only sporadic, I didn't worry about it until, a couple of months later, I couldn't charge any longer without the flashing going on (the EVSE still worked plugged into a regular 120v outlet at Level 1 charging). Worse, I smelled an ozone odor near the outlet. Nissan replaced the EVSE (thanks, Nissan!), but the problem still was there. So the electrician came...from some wires burnt out in the outlet and replaced the wiring. All was fine...then the same problem started again two weeks ago, with, again, the ozone/burning smell. He came, replaced again. He thinks it's the EVSE that's at fault and that I need to get a different brand, as he insists the wiring is right for this amperage (30 amps, used a 10 gauge wire). My dealership's rep thinks there must be a problem with the gage or thickness / insulation of the wiring.

I've heard of range anxiety, but now I'm experiencing "charging anxiety", as I expect the same thing to happen and I, frankly, don't much like the iea of wiring that burns out in my outlet and might cause a house fire, y'know? I know nothing about electrical wiring, etc.

Thoughts? Feedback? Guidance? Anything anyone can say that would help would be much appreciated!

The dual-voltage Nissan EVSE that came with the 2019 SL requires a NEMA 14-50 receptacle for 240 volts or a NEMA 5-15 receptacle for 120 volts. Since you say the EVSE works fine at 120 volts, the problem is with your 240-volt receptacle. The car will draw nearly 30 amperes for extended time when charging at 240 volts using the Nissan EVSE. The 50-ampere NEMA 14-50 receptacle should have a minimum of 8 AWG wire if protected by a 40-ampere circuit breaker or minimum of 6 AWG wire if protected by a 50-ampere circuit breaker. No 10 AWG wire is not suitable for your application and will overheat when charging for more than a few minutes.

Agree with GerryAZ, you need a minimum of 8g wiring with a 40a breaker with the OEM L2 Leaf EVSE.
The confusion might be that while it's true you can draw close to 30a for a brief period of time with 10g wiring and a 30a breaker, the Leaf draw is a constant draw and subject to the 80% rule which means with 10g wire and a 30a breaker you'd be limited to 24a constant, the Leafs ~27.5a is just too high and will cause melting as you've seen.

GerryAZ said:
Since there was a new post to this old thread, I will confirm that the Nissan dual-voltage EVSE which came with my 2019 SL Plus will allow the car to charge from the properly-installed 14-50 receptacle at my house (nominal 240 volts) and draw about 27 amperes. However, it will not let the car charge from the properly-installed 14-50 receptacle at my workshop garage which is on a nominal 208-volt circuit and usually runs at about 212 volts. The EVSE will show all appropriate indicator lights until the car starts to draw current, then it shuts down. The car charges fine on 208 volts from my Clipper Creek EVSE and draws about 30 amperes. I have also confirmed the Nissan EVSE will let the car charge at 120 volts and about 12 amperes with the adapter in place.

I will also confirm the same. I have had it fail at Windhorse (ironically, Puget Sound Energy's wind/solar farm) and a handful of other places. Have to look it up but failure rate was like 40% or so?

Seems like National parks see more failures with city parks seeing the greatest level of success. I did a lot of testing with my 2018 but now that I have my plus, I did verify one location that didn't work before still not working but now the EVSE rarely goes anywhere with me. So far this Summer, 100% of my destinations have been reachable on a full charge.

JeffGamer said:
He thinks it's the EVSE that's at fault and that I need to get a different brand, as he insists the wiring is right for this amperage (30 amps, used a 10 gauge wire). My dealership's rep thinks there must be a problem with the gage or thickness / insulation of the wiring.

What amp breaker did the electrician used?

If the same electrician installed all 14-50 outlets the same way, there are going to be a lot of problems coming from other people.

paradisedj said:
Check w all my friends' house w 3 phases which all comes up as 208v and will not charge.

Where do you live that you have 208V in a residential application?
Isn't that a 3 phase scenario?
I live in California and all residential is single phase up to 400A service to a property.

The problem here is that the Nissan dual voltage EVSE won't charge on 208 volts. I suspect that the voltage at the house is a little higher - maybe 211 or so, but the voltage drop over the line to the garage brings it back down into the 'can't charge' zone for the EVSE. I also wonder if the EVSE managed to cook the wiring despite not charging, because of the low voltage...

HerdingElectrons said:
paradisedj said:
Check w all my friends' house w 3 phases which all comes up as 208v and will not charge.

Where do you live that you have 208V in a residential application?
Isn't that a 3 phase scenario?
I live in California and all residential is single phase up to 400A service to a property.
You realize you quoted a 1-year-old post where the OP hasn't returned since his OP don't you?
I doubt they'll be back :)

Back