nsainfreek
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:11 am
Delivery Date: 26 Mar 2013
Location: Honolulu, HI

2013 S Not Charging at Some Stations

Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:21 pm

Wanted to see if anyone else out there with a 2013 S is experiencing a similar problem. I've gone to about 5 charging stations around town and my S charged ok on 3 of them but did not charge at all on 2. The stations were all made by a local company named Volta and uses the same Eaton charger on all of them. The stations that did not charge were not broken. There was a 2011-12 leaf charging at one of them and I unplugged that to test on my car. It still did not work. I called my dealership and they said that they've had a few complaints about that with the 2013s and are trying to figure out what's going on. I'm a little concerned because some of the key charging stations for me don't work. Anyone else experienced this?

cwerdna
Posts: 7997
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: 2013 S Not Charging at Some Stations

Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:16 pm

Can you update your location info via User Control Panel (near top) > Profile (left side)? That way, we don't need to ask in future posts/threads or do sleuthing to deduce it.

Are you charging at L1, L2 or doing QC (DC fast charge)?

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

RonDawg
Posts: 2813
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:46 am
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089
Location: SoCal

Re: 2013 S Not Charging at Some Stations

Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:53 pm

Also, be very careful when unplugging other people. I know you were just trying to diagnose a problem, but one issue that could have come up is if that other Leaf's charge timer had to be overridden to get it to charge, if you unplug it, it will not charge again upon re-plugging unless the timer override is again activated. If the car is locked, you won't be able to do that.

Some charging networks like ChargePoint or Blink can notify you of unauthorized unplugging, but only if you enable it and submit a valid cell# or email address that you can view while away from the car. Same with the Leaf's CarWings system, but only if you have CarWings and have enabled this feature. Otherwise, the result could be that car's owner returning with far less of a charge than they expected.

And even if that Leaf owner did subscribe to notifications, you could find yourself having to 'splain yourself to a 6 foot 5, 300 lb Leaf driver why you unplugged him :oops:
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar at 34 months/26,435 miles. Lease returned 2 months later. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F.
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL.

User avatar
TonyWilliams
Posts: 10074
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:48 am
Location: San Diego
Contact: Website

Re: 2013 S Not Charging at Some Stations

Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:36 pm

The OP is from Oahu, Hawaii.



cwerdna wrote:Can you update your location info via User Control Panel (near top) > Profile (left side)?

nsainfreek
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:11 am
Delivery Date: 26 Mar 2013
Location: Honolulu, HI

Re: 2013 S Not Charging at Some Stations

Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:23 am

Sorry, yes I am in Honolulu, Hawaii on the island of Oahu. And sorry about the unplugging too. I really didn't think there would be a problem if I just unplugged it temporarily, but you're right. I didn't think about the charge timers. When I plugged the evse back in, the leaf did start charging again so no harm there. The charging stations were all L2s.

Anyone else experiencing this?

cwerdna
Posts: 7997
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: 2013 S Not Charging at Some Stations

Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:46 am

^^^
Make sure either your dealer reports it to Nissan or report it yourself to them directly.

I believe if you unplugged a Volt, the horn would go off.

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

User avatar
LEAFer
Posts: 2647
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 10:10 am
Delivery Date: 19 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 000215
Location: Sacramento Area

Re: 2013 S Not Charging at Some Stations

Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:09 am

cwerdna wrote:^^^
Make sure either your dealer reports it to Nissan or report it yourself to them directly.

I believe if you unplugged a Volt, the horn would go off.

And (even if the horn-alarm function is turned off) the Volt also has a temporarily-override-timer function that could get messed up just like the LEAF.
2011 Silver SL+QC [Mfg: 11/2010] 36mo/15k LEASE
06Jun2013 Status [28.5 months][34,173 miles][11 bars]
Lost CapacityBar 6/6/13 @34,173 miles while in LEAF Battery Monitor: 83.41%, 71.4F (avg); cool overnight;

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 13082
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: 2013 S Not Charging at Some Stations

Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:24 am

nsainfreek wrote:Wanted to see if anyone else out there with a 2013 S is experiencing a similar problem. I've gone to about 5 charging stations around town and my S charged ok on 3 of them but did not charge at all on 2. The stations were all made by a local company named Volta and uses the same Eaton charger on all of them. The stations that did not charge were not broken. There was a 2011-12 leaf charging at one of them and I unplugged that to test on my car. It still did not work. I called my dealership and they said that they've had a few complaints about that with the 2013s and are trying to figure out what's going on. I'm a little concerned because some of the key charging stations for me don't work. Anyone else experienced this?


no error messages, recognition of any kind from charger or car? whether the charger is charging or not, you should see an indicator on the dash that "something" is plugged in. if you are not seeing that, then your proximity sensor is not working correctly. you should not be able to engage any drive modes.

i have seen reports where some people have had issues getting the charger going. some had to unplug and replug a few times to get it to work. others simply gave up and moved to another plug. I have made a few runs to various stations in my neighborhood only to find out they worked fine for me. some did require some "cussing and kicking" but they were able to give me juice
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 8743 miles, 485 GIDs, 37.6 kwh 111.39 Ahr , SOH 96.49, Hx 114.98
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nsainfreek
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:11 am
Delivery Date: 26 Mar 2013
Location: Honolulu, HI

Re: 2013 S Not Charging at Some Stations

Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:45 pm

I didn't get an error message on the car but I did get the charger recognition. The dash lights up that green icon to show that something is plugged in. I did try removing and replugging it in multiple times. What are you recommending I kick/cuss out? The evse or the car?

DaveinOlyWA wrote:no error messages, recognition of any kind from charger or car? whether the charger is charging or not, you should see an indicator on the dash that "something" is plugged in. if you are not seeing that, then your proximity sensor is not working correctly. you should not be able to engage any drive modes.

i have seen reports where some people have had issues getting the charger going. some had to unplug and replug a few times to get it to work. others simply gave up and moved to another plug. I have made a few runs to various stations in my neighborhood only to find out they worked fine for me. some did require some "cussing and kicking" but they were able to give me juice

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 13082
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: 2013 S Not Charging at Some Stations

Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:09 pm

No, nothing like that. I have reset power to stations, flipped breakers, wasted time calibrating screens etc in order to get a charge.

So the car recognizes the plug then seems like we need to go back to the station. So the station does not recognize its plugged in?
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 8743 miles, 485 GIDs, 37.6 kwh 111.39 Ahr , SOH 96.49, Hx 114.98
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”