User avatar
Nubo
Posts: 4942
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 11:01 am
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014
Location: Vallejo, CA

Re: Stolen SD card, need conf number to buy the new map upgr

Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:58 am

cwerdna wrote:
DarkStar wrote:Locally, Portland General Electric had their SD card removed from a Leaf at an event (the display still opens even if the car is off). Wilsonville Nissan (south of Portland) got a replacement for them for about $350.

I really hope Nissan makes a change to prevent this and adds some other anti-theft measures. Hopefully the utility logged a formal complaint w/Nissan corporate on this. I think everyone else who's been victimized should.

Hopefully word eventually gets out to thieves about the copy protection and about the cards being useless on other Leafs (if I'm not mistaken, given the DRM that seems to be employed here.)


Well I can understand them protecting their proprietary info (the maps), even though navs are ubiquitous and nobody really wants their out-of-date "IP" anyway.

But the real stupidity is in Nissan making the other functions dependent on the DRM. The radio? Really, Nissan?
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

User avatar
TomT
Posts: 10611
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:09 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360
Location: California, now Georgia
Contact: Website

Re: Stolen SD card, need conf number to buy the new map upgr

Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:08 am

No, there is no way to copy the encrypted DRM so it won't work.

lion wrote:Could one create a 1:1 backup (using dd or any other imaging tool) to keep a backup in case your card gets stolen? I would at least be able to create a new SD card from my backup instead of having to spent a fortune on a piece of plastic.
59,991 miles/12 bars/289 Gids/68.54 AHr/101% SOH/101.64% Hx 7May15 w/ new Lizard (barely made the warranty).
71,770 miles/12 bars/256 Gids/59.04 AHr/88% SOH/87.92% Hx 3Mar16 at lease return.

Now driving a 2016 Volt Premier.

lion
Posts: 557
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:23 pm
Delivery Date: 22 May 2013

Re: Stolen SD card, need conf number to buy the new map upgr

Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:52 am

DarkStar wrote:
lion wrote:Could one create a 1:1 backup (using dd or any other imaging tool) to keep a backup in case your card gets stolen? I would at least be able to create a new SD card from my backup instead of having to spent a fortune on a piece of plastic.

I'm thinking about a warning sticker over the SD slot in case someone does try to access it.

Sure, but you need the exact same type of SD card to restore that backup to. Good luck finding one.


Pardon my ignorance, but I have to ask just to be sure ...

Is this card more than a standard SD card, does it actually have hardware differences compared with a regular card?

I'm not familiar with how the DRM is implemented (wiki entry seems to make it look like it's part of the file system), and if it's just a key stored on the file system (so a 1:1 raw sector copy would work), or if there is a 2nd chip in this card which can't be accessed.

Any info you may have would be appreciated.

edit: looks like some folks have had some luck cloning DRM protected SD cards, but it all depends on how Nissan implemented the security features.

booper
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:33 am
Delivery Date: 29 Jun 2013
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Stolen SD card, need conf number to buy the new map upgr

Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:36 pm

lion wrote:
DarkStar wrote:
lion wrote:Could one create a 1:1 backup (using dd or any other imaging tool) to keep a backup in case your card gets stolen? I would at least be able to create a new SD card from my backup instead of having to spent a fortune on a piece of plastic.

I'm thinking about a warning sticker over the SD slot in case someone does try to access it.

Sure, but you need the exact same type of SD card to restore that backup to. Good luck finding one.


Pardon my ignorance, but I have to ask just to be sure ...

Is this card more than a standard SD card, does it actually have hardware differences compared with a regular card?

I'm not familiar with how the DRM is implemented (wiki entry seems to make it look like it's part of the file system), and if it's just a key stored on the file system (so a 1:1 raw sector copy would work), or if there is a 2nd chip in this card which can't be accessed.

Any info you may have would be appreciated.

edit: looks like some folks have had some luck cloning DRM protected SD cards, but it all depends on how Nissan implemented the security features.


I think it should be possible to do a 1:1 clone of the SDCard. There is some software out there to do it for hard drives/SSDs, so don't see why it wouldn't work on an SDCard. Only one way to find out! :)

User avatar
Nubo
Posts: 4942
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 11:01 am
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014
Location: Vallejo, CA

Re: Stolen SD card, need conf number to buy the new map upgr

Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:04 pm

booper wrote:I think it should be possible to do a 1:1 clone of the SDCard. There is some software out there to do it for hard drives/SSDs, so don't see why it wouldn't work on an SDCard. Only one way to find out! :)


DRM copy-protection

All cards incorporate DRM copy-protection. Roughly 10% of the storage capacity of an SD card is a "Protected Area" not available to the user, but is used by the on-card processor to verify the identity of an application program that it then allows to read protected content. The card prohibits other accesses, such as users trying to make copies of protected files. (Reformatting an SD card may erase this Protected Area; see Risks of reformatting below.)

The DRM scheme embedded in the SD cards is the Content Protection for Recordable Media (CPRM or CPPM) specification of the 4C Entity, which features the Cryptomeria cipher (also termed C2). The specification is kept secret and is accessible only to licensees. The scheme has not been broken or cracked;
-- wikipedia
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

lion
Posts: 557
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:23 pm
Delivery Date: 22 May 2013

Re: Stolen SD card, need conf number to buy the new map upgr

Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:23 am

If a format might wipe out this protection, then that would indicate it's part of the file system. It could something like a hidden partition, which would not be accessible via Windows Explorer, etc, but imaging software and utilities such as the unix dd tool should be able to copy this data. Between that and not knowing how far Nissan went securing this data, it might actually be doable.

I'll have to take the card out and see what size/type we are dealing with (or if anyone has these details already, please do share).

If I do try this, and am not successful, can I just remove the card and put the OEM card back in the slot, or will the nav system go into some sort of security/lock down mode which can only be reset by Nissan? Want to make sure I don't screw things up by trying this ;)

royroidx3
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:35 pm
Delivery Date: 08 Jan 2014
Leaf Number: 000620

Re: Stolen SD card, need conf number to buy the new map upgr

Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:05 pm

My local dealer, Tim Dahle Nissan in Sandy, UT, insisted I had to replace the entire unit ($3,500) even after I showed them this message board and the special form they needed to place the order. My impression is that this dealership and others are not clueless, they just do not want to sell a $300-$400 part that require a few minutes of effort when they could sell a $3,500 part.

I have a 2011 LEAF with a "NO SD CARD" blue screen. I called Chris at Courtesy Nissan in Texas at 972-792-5624 and he knew exactly what to do. He took my information and called me back shortly after. The part comes from Japan (about 10 business days) and regular mail (couple more days). I gave him the following information from the blue screen that is displayed in my car:

SET:
SNO:
NAVI-1:

The prices vary depending on Nissan and the dealer, but at this time it is $299, the lowest price I found and includes the newest maps.

AlbertoKnox
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:08 am
Delivery Date: 07 Sep 2015

Re: Stolen SD card, need conf number to buy the new map upgrade

Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:15 pm

This information is still correct. Call: Chris at Courtesy Nissan in Texas at 972-792-5624

I called him today. He knew just what I was talking about after much frustration elsewhere. Was $378.88 after tax but if you are not in Texas he may not have to charge tax. He said it would be "about a week" for it to come in to the dealership.

Urs
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:20 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 411751

Re: Stolen SD card, need conf number to buy the new map upgrade

Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:42 pm

My two cents worth:
I bought a used 2013 Leaf that had a broken SD card. After several dealers tried to get it to work with no avail, the used car dealer agreed to pay for a new one. The parts department at my local dealer (Shingle Springs Nissan, CA) filled out the form with the info on the blue screen. About 1 month later I got the new card, plugged it in and everything works great now.
I do not know how much the card cost the used car dealer, the list price was over $300.

Martyans
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:34 am
Delivery Date: 02 Oct 2015

Re: Stolen SD card, need conf number to buy the new map upgrade

Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:08 am

Urs wrote:My two cents worth:
I bought a used 2013 Leaf that had a broken SD card. After several dealers tried to get it to work with no avail, the used car dealer agreed to pay for a new one. The parts department at my local dealer (Shingle Springs Nissan, CA) filled out the form with the info on the blue screen. About 1 month later I got the new card, plugged it in and everything works great now.
I do not know how much the card cost the used car dealer, the list price was over $300.


It's much faster to do it online at http://nissan.navigation.com/
All you need is info from blue screen (model number and serial number). And of course Confirmation number.
If you need help getting confirmation number, please write me personal message or email auto.emulators at gmail

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”